Getting an annual physical at the doctors

/ Getting an annual physical at the doctors #1  

Sigarms

Tractor
F3080
December 21st, texted the neighbors wife asking if her husband could lend me an extra set of hands (he doesn't use a cell phone LOL). Wife mentioned he wasn't feeling well. Mentioned no problem and let me know if I could help in any way.

December 24th, stopped in on the way back from Church to visit them to make sure everything was ok. Found out my neigbor had lung cancer, stage 4.

Early morning December 31st, neighbor called to let me know her husband passed away.

Reality is he was fit as a fiddle at age 76.

Basically in less than a month when his wife kind of forced him to to the doctors because he wasn't feeling well, he is no longer here.

We took some home baked food over last night. He was blessed because he was able to stay in his house during his short time left with his family at home.

He smoked regularly.

Point being, when we get older, even if you're fit at an older age, make sure you get a physical once a year.

Guy and his wife have always been great neighbors. Kind of the neighbors where when we get together and talk, it's never a short session.

/ Getting an annual physical at the doctors #2  
Good advice. I do all my annual exams in January, PCP, Cardiology, Ophthalmology and Podiatry. Makes it easy to remember to schedule.

/ Getting an annual physical at the doctors
I'm sorry, that's rough; though, on the other hand, he didn't have a long drawn out death.

May he rest in peace, he sounds to have been a good man.
Thank you, he was a good man IMO.

His family was the most important thing in his life.

My neighbor knows me pretty well for saying what's on my mind, and I told her there is no easy way to leave this world, but being stuck in a hospital for weeks/months isn't one of those ways I'd wish on anyone.

My neighbor was given the option because he knew he didn't have much time. He chose home.

What I would not say to my neighbor is even if he was getting annual checkups and they found the cancer "in time", sometimes the cure isn't worth the hassle to get yourself a couple of more months / years for what it can put you through.

When we first moved here, a couple of years later heard an amublance which isn't normal around here. Found out that an older guy found out he had brain cancer and it wasn't good. He went out on his own terms which I can understand and he made certain the authorities would find him.

I just find it mind boggling that it was in November when he (my neighbor) came over to my house because he was wondering why we had a cement truck coming down our driveway. Invited him over to check it out and he seemed absolutely fine. When I saw him Sunday December 24th, you knew it wasn't good.

/ Getting an annual physical at the doctors #5  
Sorry to hear about your neighbor. I sometimes wonder if it's better to go quickly then to have it drag on for years of fighting, suffering and spending, only to pass away.

My wife is a nurse and she loves all thing medical. The biggest change in my life when I met her was her forcing me to go to the doctor at least once a year. I hate wasting the day doing it, but I know that she's right and it's for my own good. So far, nothing has come of it, but I'm sure that one of these years, it will be worthwhile.

When I told one of my clients that my wife was free from colon cancer, she started to cry. I thought it was because she was happy for her, which she was, but it was because her husband had died from colon cancer. He was a medical doctor that refused to go to the doctors when he felt bad. He left her very wealthy, so I guess he was good at his profession, but he just didn't like going to see a doctor.

/ Getting an annual physical at the doctors #6  
Sorry to hear about your neighbor. I sometimes wonder if it's better to go quickly then to have it drag on for years of fighting, suffering and spending, only to pass away.

My wife is a nurse and she loves all thing medical. The biggest change in my life when I met her was her forcing me to go to the doctor at least once a year. I hate wasting the day doing it, but I know that she's right and it's for my own good. So far, nothing has come of it, but I'm sure that one of these years, it will be worthwhile.

When I told one of my clients that my wife was free from colon cancer, she started to cry. I thought it was because she was happy for her, which she was, but it was because her husband had died from colon cancer. He was a medical doctor that refused to go to the doctors when he felt bad. He left her very wealthy, so I guess he was good at his profession, but he just didn't like going to see a doctor.
Nobody likes going to see a doctor but, if you want to live long it is mandatory for most of us... sure there are exceptions. But I'm not that lucky.
Annual checkups and health monitoring are part of my life.

/ Getting an annual physical at the doctors #7  
Smoking is such an awful, difficult habit. I actually feel sorry for those gripped in the chains of addiction-of ANY kind.
Glad I never picked it up.
Sounded like a good person.

Had a neighbor that developed a very rare aggressive cancer about 10 years ago and was gone in a month, too. Some kind of abdominal or stomach cancer.

/ Getting an annual physical at the doctors #8  
2023 was kind of rough with older friends and neighbors passing.

I’m certain having you as a neighbor provided peace of mind.

Being home means the world to many and it means a person’s wishes matter.

Mom was in the hospital and miserable with the non stop blood draws turning her arms purple.

I asked her if she wanted to go home and mom as RN of 50 years said more than anything.

I said OK… tomorrow I bring you home… Doc said 7-10 days which became almost 11 weeks and in large part because she was happy to just be home… no meds and no complaints… Hospice said might have to reevaluate because she perked up so much.

I’m certain he fully appreciated the value of having you as a neighbor.

/ Getting an annual physical at the doctors #9  
Sorry for the loss of your neighbor. My Great Aunt passed away on Dec 31 also from complications of stage 4 lung cancer 4 years ago.
We never know how or when we will go out. The time is approaching for all of us eventually.

/ Getting an annual physical at the doctors
Smoking is such an awful, difficult habit. I actually feel sorry for those gripped in the chains of addiction-of ANY kind.
I remember seeing my uncle die at the hostpital in Reading back in the 80's. We're talking multiple packs a day per smoking.

It was no different than seeing my wifes gradfather die of COPD wearing an oxygen mask struggling to breath every breath a decade or so ago.

I know I don't want to go out like either my uncle or my wife's grandfather laying on that bed in the hospital fighting for every breath.

When I stayed with my own father in the hostpital, I was lucky, only a day and half when I admitted him. That said, the doctor knew I wanted him pumped so full of morphine that I wanted him to die ASAP. I was able to spend one good day with him coherent, but after that he was kind of gone even though he could talk.

You want your loved one to live, but it also comes down to a quality of life IMO. No different than your own dog you love (sound's perhaps cruel, not meant that way).

Sooner or later, we will ALL be in the same place as our parents.