Getting back into hay

/ Getting back into hay #51  
OK, I understand. That means you are using 20.5% glyphosate mixture which is more than twice the highest concentration recommended by the USDA for ANY killing application ! Man that is STRONG !! Besides that, the price of 41% glyphosate at TSC went from $54 for 2.5 gal last year to just over $135 this year. That means at current prices (well last week, may be far higher now...) you are putting $50 worth of glyphosate in your rig...? Somehow I doubt it , but I'll take your word for it.
Even though you put in a gallon of Glyophosphate and a gallon of water you will only use up less than a quart, as you are just brushing over the tall shoots of the vassie grass, so most of it is still in the wick, therefore when I am done I just pour it back in a jug that I have marked wick mix and re-use over and over until I need to add more, I hope this is a little more clear, and as far as doubting what I say I do, I don't care if you do or don't I was just trying to help a fellow forum member who asked how I dealt with vassie grass, so what I do works for me but it might not be for everyone else. Here's one for you. How do you control vassie grass?

/ Getting back into hay #52  
I use full strength-41% on tree stumps after I cut brush.
I'm still using stuff I bought about 3 years ago. When I run out I'll do something different if prices don't come down.
Using a wick is different than spraying.

Last edited:
  • Good Post
Reactions: JWR
   / Getting back into hay #53  
Cut and baled first cutting a couple weeks ago. Just a small field, probably an acre or maybe a acre and a half. Starting back with hay so that my kids can help and learn hard work, working on equipment, how things don’t always go to plan, etc. The kids are still young so I’m going to ramp up over the next 2-3 years and shoot to bale about 20 acres, all small squares. Other than the tractor my equipment is all old but fairly reliable and I’m sure will give some good lessons when it breaks down. First cutting was 96 small squares which is about the average the previous guy was getting when he baled it for me. Need to do a soil test and add the correct fertilizer mix. Here’s a YouTube video I put together of the old equipment at work.

Used to mow with a sickle and conditioner, too, decades ago. Why doesn't your baler's pickup wheel touch the ground? Your tines are above the grass. Would sweep better if they were in the grass.

/ Getting back into hay #54  
Even though you put in a gallon of Glyophosphate and a gallon of water you will only use up less than a quart, as you are just brushing over the tall shoots of the vassie grass, so most of it is still in the wick, therefore when I am done I just pour it back in a jug that I have marked wick mix and re-use over and over until I need to add more, I hope this is a little more clear, and as far as doubting what I say I do, I don't care if you do or don't I was just trying to help a fellow forum member who asked how I dealt with vassie grass, so what I do works for me but it might not be for everyone else. Here's one for you. How do you control vassie grass?
If you say that's what you do, ... great, then that's what you do. Based strictly on your description and the current price at TSC , that mix of 1 gal of 41% glyphosate and 1 gal of water costs $50. And I have no idea in this world what vassie grass is. So for education, I looked it up and Vaseygrass is an invasive plant native to South America. The Univ of Florida says you guys have it down there. Thankfully we have not seen it (that I know of ) up here in mid-Eastern US. By your numbers you're using 20.5% glyphosate mix. The people in Tallahassee recommend:
https://www.google.com/search?q=How...E&biw=1920&bih=969&dpr=1#imgrc=zk4TMb0-fCYdZM
"vaseygrass can be controlled by spot spraying a one percent glyphosate solution [which is 1.2 ounces of 41% concentrate per gallon.] " Be aware, mowing and tilling can make the problem worse, as the scattering and burying of seeds can exacerbate the infestation. Aug 29, 2019

So... if you are using 1 gal of 41% concentrate mixed with 1 gal of water, that is 20.5%; that is 20 times the percentage the Univ of FL is suggesting. Granted, wicking may call for a higher concentration than spraying, but that "20 times" might cause some doubts. Especially with the goo costing $135 for 2.5 gal of the 41% concentrate.

Beware Vaseygrass, an aggressive exotic weed

https://www.tallahassee.com › home-garden › 2019/08/29

/ Getting back into hay #55  
Used to mow with a sickle and conditioner, too, decades ago. Why doesn't your baler's pickup wheel touch the ground? Your tines are above the grass. Would sweep better if they were in the grass.
I always set my tines about 2” above the ground (like if the baler was parked on flat pavement). Pickup wheels should not run along the ground and spin, but be slightly above. They should only turn when they are on uneven ground or contact a hump.

/ Getting back into hay #56  
If you say that's what you do, ... great, then that's what you do. Based strictly on your description and the current price at TSC , that mix of 1 gal of 41% glyphosate and 1 gal of water costs $50. And I have no idea in this world what vassie grass is. So for education, I looked it up and Vaseygrass is an invasive plant native to South America. The Univ of Florida says you guys have it down there. Thankfully we have not seen it (that I know of ) up here in mid-Eastern US. By your numbers you're using 20.5% glyphosate mix. The people in Tallahassee recommend:
https://www.google.com/search?q=How+do+I+get+rid+of+Vasey+grass?&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&vet=1&fir=zk4TMb0-fCYdZM%2C2yXabloBFaJP6M%2C%2Fm%2F09k4r2p&usg=AI4_-kQbY9y6IE2WC1HEcXGdiaBJZMKSQQ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiZlZ_W_rX4AhVSTd8KHfIUDrsQ9QF6BAhBEAE&biw=1920&bih=969&dpr=1#imgrc=zk4TMb0-fCYdZM
"vaseygrass can be controlled by spot spraying a one percent glyphosate solution [which is 1.2 ounces of 41% concentrate per gallon.] " Be aware, mowing and tilling can make the problem worse, as the scattering and burying of seeds can exacerbate the infestation. Aug 29, 2019

So... if you are using 1 gal of 41% concentrate mixed with 1 gal of water, that is 20.5%; that is 20 times the percentage the Univ of FL is suggesting. Granted, wicking may call for a higher concentration than spraying, but that "20 times" might cause some doubts. Especially with the goo costing $135 for 2.5 gal of the 41% concentrate.

1655550401391.gif

/ Getting back into hay #57  
Cut and baled first cutting a couple weeks ago. Just a small field, probably an acre or maybe a acre and a half. Starting back with hay so that my kids can help and learn hard work, working on equipment, how things don’t always go to plan, etc. The kids are still young so I’m going to ramp up over the next 2-3 years and shoot to bale about 20 acres, all small squares. Other than the tractor my equipment is all old but fairly reliable and I’m sure will give some good lessons when it breaks down. First cutting was 96 small squares which is about the average the previous guy was getting when he baled it for me. Need to do a soil test and add the correct fertilizer mix. Here’s a YouTube video I put together of the old equipment at work.

Your kids will learn hardwork with the small square bales and I commend you on your plan. Kids who associate work with reward have leg up in the work place compared to those who were given everything. I work both groups and can tell you tell in a short time which ones expect everything from day one.

At the end of the school year in 1967 I advised my dad that I was in desperate need of a new ball glove and that I thought with my birthday approaching that the new glove would make an excellent gift (I doubt I worded it exactly like that but I think you get the thought). His response was to call one of our neighbors to find out if he needed any help on his dairy farm that a 13 year old kid might do. The answer was to report the next morning at 9:00am.

For six consecutive days we stacked small square hay bales in an open shed from wagons that were loaded the evening before while we waited for the dew to dissipate. Then after a noon meal (its dinner on the farm, not lunch as you city dwelllers call it. Lunch is the snack at three o'clock in the afternoon) we stacked bales until about 6:00pm. Of course this took place in temperatures well into the 90s. We drank plenty of water (well water by the way not $2 bottled water) and we somehow survived. We did this for $1.25 per hour which relates to about $10 now so pretty good money for a 13 year old kid. This dairy farm was considered large for its day so we baled almost every day for the entire summer.

I posted this rant because at the end of the day I learned some valuable life lessons tossing square bales that have helped through my 68 years now. Again, I commend the original poster for trying to install a work ethic for his children. The challenge will be keep their interest and enthusiasm as the progress through their teenage years. He will have to compete with the parents who give their children the car, pay for the gas, insurance and expect very little in return. His kids may just ask on the 95 degree day why they are tossing bales when their friends are at the pool.

/ Getting back into hay #58  
https://www.google.com/search?q=How+do+I+get+rid+of+Vasey+grass?&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&vet=1&fir=zk4TMb0-fCYdZM%2C2yXabloBFaJP6M%2C%2Fm%2F09k4r2p&usg=AI4_-kQbY9y6IE2WC1HEcXGdiaBJZMKSQQ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiZlZ_W_rX4AhVSTd8KHfIUDrsQ9QF6BAhBEAE&biw=1920&bih=969&dpr=1#imgrc=zk4TMb0-fCYdZM

Well it would have been helpful if the article from the Tallahassee Democrat would have at least posted a picture of Vaseygrass instead of goosegrass or whatever type of grass it is that they posted when teaching people how to combat it, this started out with me trying to be helpful to another poster who asked ME what I used to fight Vaseygrass with which I answered with what I have done with much success thru practical experience into you attempting to pick apart what I posted and educate me on what truly should be done although admittedly you have zero experience fighting Vaseygrass , final question for you. Are you an engineer?

/ Getting back into hay

Use this site for acreage, soil types, and other useful information

Looks like a useful site, I’ll have to spend some time looking around.

/ Getting back into hay
So cool. You'll create some memories for sure. The big thing in Oregon right now for horses is Teff. Has about 7.2% sugar. Yes, horses are becoming pre-diabetic as well as humans.

The kids are excited about it so far. I haven’t heard about horses being pre-diabetic but I don’t keep up with the horse world anymore. My neighbors have some horses, I’ll ask them if they’ve heard of that. Might be able to get into a specific horse hay niche that isn’t common here yet.