Getting back into hay

/ Getting back into hay #1  

wmonroe

Elite Member
Tractor
1958 Ford 961 Powermaster
Cut and baled first cutting a couple weeks ago. Just a small field, probably an acre or maybe a acre and a half. Starting back with hay so that my kids can help and learn hard work, working on equipment, how things don’t always go to plan, etc. The kids are still young so I’m going to ramp up over the next 2-3 years and shoot to bale about 20 acres, all small squares. Other than the tractor my equipment is all old but fairly reliable and I’m sure will give some good lessons when it breaks down. First cutting was 96 small squares which is about the average the previous guy was getting when he baled it for me. Need to do a soil test and add the correct fertilizer mix. Here’s a YouTube video I put together of the old equipment at work.

/ Getting back into hay #2  
Hope you dont need to put down any fertilizer in those fields….

/ Getting back into hay #3  
Good attitude. (y)

/ Getting back into hay
It will definitely require fertilizer after 2nd cut. I’m already braced for the high prices, it’s just part of it right now.

/ Getting back into hay #5  
Don't know what type of grass it is but 96 squares is about equivalent to 8 round rolls down here where I am and if it's only 1 acre that's a pretty good yield.

/ Getting back into hay #6  
Hope you dont need to put down any fertilizer in those fields….
The 46 granulated urea I use went from 19 a bag to 50 and you have to order it and hope.

Between fuel and inputs I've had to raise my per round price appreciably.

Least ORD diesel is available for a price for now at least.
Times are real tough

/ Getting back into hay
Don't know what type of grass it is but 96 squares is about equivalent to 8 round rolls down here where I am and if it's only 1 acre that's a pretty good yield.

I’m going to use a range finder to get a little better idea of the size and I’ll report back.

/ Getting back into hay #8  
If you take just one cutting and bush hog the second than you don't need any fertilizer.

/ Getting back into hay
The 46 granulated urea I use went from 19 a bag to 50 and you have to order it and hope.

Between fuel and inputs I've had to raise my per round price appreciably.

Least ORD diesel is available for a price for now at least.
Times are real tough

I haven’t priced it here but I expect that it is very similar. Filled my diesel tank a few weeks ago for $5.099 per gallon, that definitely was not fun.

/ Getting back into hay #10  
I haven’t priced it here but I expect that it is very similar. Filled my diesel tank a few weeks ago for $5.099 per gallon, that definitely was not fun.
Guess we are still a little more fortunate down here, last week I had off road diesel delivered and filled both of my tanks for $4.90 per gallon, so it's just a hair cheaper, but I am pretty sure we will see $5.00 regular gasoline before the end of the month, it was $4.89 yesterday.