Getting clay mud off tires easily

/ Getting clay mud off tires easily #51  
I know a guy that got a ticket for that. Called littering a public roadway. Before trying the drive on a asphalt road check your state law on grass clipping etc.

Most states have a law similar to this.

No person shall place or throw, or permit anyone to place, throw, or shall permit to lie or remain upon the streets of the State, any earth, dirt, mud, sand or similar substance whatsoever, which has been deposited by the driving of any motor vehicle or truck upon the streets of the State.

Granted, this was when I lived in semi-suburbia, but I got a ticket for leaving mud from my backhoe tires on a gravel road once. I got out of there as soon as I was able to. The township was totally corrupt and once they had you on their radar there was no escape.

/ Getting clay mud off tires easily #52  
My favorite method of removing mud stains and cleaning tractor tire to look their very best is to drive in snow, the deeper the better. Now I realize this is not an option for everyone but when you have snow available, man up and use it.

01a9b7f11880d4a0727996571155dac6a07b5b317a.jpg

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 0

01d3e23c9af0bb95028e4a8b0ea75d50b8006bce2d.jpg

/ Getting clay mud off tires easily #53  
I've found that some tires are more prone to collecting mud than others. On my tractor, it seems to stick no matter what, but my backhoe seems to shed most of the clay before I get to pull it in. I don't do anything different between them, my only thought is that it may have something to do with the size of the tires. Pressure washing seems to be the only solution, and a hot water pressure washer is definitely the solution. But the mud it leaves behind can be a big mess.

/ Getting clay mud off tires easily #54  
I have red clay and it cakes on my tires just like yours. I have 2 solutions: neither of them are great.
  1. Leave the tractor outside and let the clay dry thoroughly (1-2 days if no rain)
  2. Park it inside and let dry for a day then pull it outside and scrape up the dried mud from the floor.
I think its easier to clean it up dry, than try to power wash it off while wet.
My 2¢

/ Getting clay mud off tires easily #55  
I know a guy that got a ticket for that.

No person shall place or throw, or permit anyone to place, throw, or shall permit to lie or remain upon the streets of the State, any earth, dirt, mud, sand or similar substance whatsoever, which has been deposited by the driving of any motor vehicle or truck upon the streets of the State.
OK, now, where'd you get that language? How about a link to it?

Now, you know a guy whose skeptical ;)

"Doveryay, no proveryay" Ronald

In my case, I'm not particularly **** about it. I store the tractor in a covered space adjacent the barn - parked on dirt and gravel and let it clean itself off when next I use it on a dry day. If the weather's nice, I'll pressure wash the tractor to clean it all up and let the mud and the blood and the beer flow downhill from the nicely sloping concrete apron I use for such pressure washing exercises.

Last edited:
   / Getting clay mud off tires easily #56  
Texas law says if you come off a dirt road you must stop and clean off you tires/ tracks or whatever before driving on a paved road. That means ANY vehicle. Not only can you be ticketed but sued by any person whose vehicle is damaged by anything that comes off your vehicle or trailer.
This was the law back in 1990. Don't know if it still on the books.

/ Getting clay mud off tires easily #57  
Y'all must have one of them "Fancy Barns" fer stor'n equipment. 🙂🙃😉 My barn has dirt/clay floors so I don't have to shovel them turds out. Turds fall off the next day out until they fill back up again. I always do my best to hit the pot holes so the turds will fill them up - usually doesn't work, but someone told me it's the thought that really counts. 🤔😁🤧

/ Getting clay mud off tires easily #58  
Texas law says if you come off a dirt road you must stop and clean off you tires/ tracks or whatever before driving on a paved road. That means ANY vehicle. Not only can you be ticketed but sued by any person whose vehicle is damaged by anything that comes off your vehicle or trailer.
This was the law back in 1990. Don't know if it still on the books.
Next time I'm driving my JD through Texas with muddy tires I'll tell the cops I lost my toothbrush.

/ Getting clay mud off tires easily #59  
OK, now, where'd you get that language? How about a link to it?

Now, you know a guy whose skeptical ;)

"Doveryay, no proveryay" Ronald

In my case, I'm not particularly **** about it. I store the tractor in a covered space adjacent the barn - parked on dirt and gravel and let it clean itself off when next I use it on a dry day. If the weather's nice, I'll pressure wash the tractor to clean it all up and let the mud and the blood and the beer flow downhill from the nicely sloping concrete apron I use for such pressure washing exercises.
Since you give Lenoir NC as your place of residence this is the only one you should worry about.

19A NCAC 02E .0403. DEPOSITING MUD ON STATE HIGHWAYS

Latest version

• No person operating a vehicle with "dual wheels" or a vehicle equipped with four wheel drive shall track or cause mud to be deposited on the paved portion of any state highway so as to create a hazard to the traveling public. Any person who causes or permits mud to be tracked or deposited by a vehicle with dual wheels or a vehicle equipped with four wheel drive shall immediately remove the same or cause it to be removed.

When I posted:

"No person shall place or throw, or permit anyone to place, throw, or shall permit to lie or remain upon the streets of the State, any earth, dirt, mud, sand or similar substance whatsoever, which has been deposited by the driving of any motor vehicle or truck upon the streets of the State."

I advised most states have a law similar to this when I posted it. I did a search for depositing mud and debris on state highways and the information you are requesting the place of birth on came up. I do not remember which state it was. I advised when i posted the information that it would be prudent to check ones state of residence before doing such.

Now that i have done your research for you, you know what NC Laws are. So if you don't believe it. Keep on doing it. No skin off my nose either way.

/ Getting clay mud off tires easily #60  
Ok. Hmm. Sounds like this is a problem everyone has...without any great solutions. I can't do the public road deal. At my place specifically, my shop is surrounded by road base/pea gravel. If I drive over that pea gravel, my tires turn into giant sprinkled donuts. If I pressure wash, there's enough mud washed off to start a small garden...which is exactly what happens in the spring. I'm not talking about a small amount of dirt...inches all the way around the tires/tracks, adds up, and is now mixed into the pea gravel on top of the road base and I've got weeds.
Gonna have to noodle on this some more. I've sketched some mechanical type scrapers out in my brain, but I worry with my ability to break stuff with the tractor that I'd tear up a tire. Something that you drive over before reaching the shop proper would be better, maybe some long "tracks" with angle iron in an inverted V...like a trailer ramp, but more closely spaced...dunno if it would work.
I doubt your mud can be any stickier than the bubble gum I have here. I call it bubble gum because it's just as bad as stepping in someone's cud on a hot summer day with a new pair of sneakers with a nice fine tread on 'em. Most of the time, if it isn't real thick, I'll just let the mud dry and fall off in the shop next time I move the tractor out. I sweep up the clods and loose dirt and put 'em in stump holes which I have a plethora of. I've been filling holes in this yard for 18 years, and I don't think I'm catching up. Between rotting tree stumps and miscreant chipmunks creating underground washes with their burrows, it's a never-ending battle.

I've got the stormwater from approximately 30 acres of adjoining/neighboring property coming across my property. Mine stays wet, A LOT, especially in the low-lying areas, and especially in winter. I try to avoid the worst spots as long as I can, but sometimes ya just gotta do what ya gotta do, and stuff gets muddy. If I'm using the tractor long enough for the mud to start to harden back up(but still not turn the tire loose) or pack fulll of leaves, I shave some of it off between the tread lugs before I start with the hose with small plastic garden trowel that I keep hanging on the quick-hitch . It won't harm the tires and fits between tread lugs quite nicely, and the mud seems to peel off quite nicely by turning it upside down to scrape. I clean the rear tires from the fender down to the 3-point lift arms where it's easy access, move forward a few feet, lather, rinse, repeat. I have to move the mud I clean off the front ones as I do this, or it just sticks to the back tires again.

Doing this keeps me from splattering the rest of the tractor with mud from the tires and keeps some of the mud out of the shop, but not nearly all of it. Just the sand falling off the tires builds up very quickly in the shop. One day, someone will invent self-sweeping concrete, but until then, it's almost a full-time job keeping the shop floor swept. It's normally what I do before I start the use the tractor again because the previous use's mud falls off the tires when I pull it out of the shed. Trying to just hose the mud off the tires usually gives the whole tractor a mud bath and the intention to minimize the mud in the shop turns into a complete wash down for the tractor, and I STILL have some fall off even after that (it's hard to was inside the fenders with oversize tires). It's easier to sweep the mud up after it dries than to pick up gooey clumps off the grass. It's certainly faster and less messy. Washing it seems to make it stick worse. I had hoped for the grandkids to take an interest and come out to the shop and learn about tractors and REAL outside work. Nah, not happening. It's too hot/cold and the broom handle doesn't fit their hands because there's no touch screen or USB port on it. All they want to do is get on the tractor and drive it. They don't seem to grasp the rest of the responsibilities of having a tractor and have ZERO interest in hard work. I just hope they get an education, or they're in for a very rude awakening.