Getting rid of a bumpy 4 acre yard

/ Getting rid of a bumpy 4 acre yard #11  
I mow a little over 6 acres and all of it hill, stub yer toe at the house and pick yourself up at the bottom of it, anyway I have ruts and holes cause by moles. Must be an army of them. Sometimes it is like driving over plowed ground and the problem is everytime it rains it washes out some of the runs, since we do not seem to get a nice gentle rain anymore only flash floods and down pours. Using the box blade or disk and drag to smooth out problem areas does no good at all since they just work it up again and then the rain comes and the ruts are back.

Like the others I would fix an acre at a time, before you know it you will have it. Plus you might not need to fix ALL 4 acres there are bound to be areas that are reasonably smooth you can leave alone.

/ Getting rid of a bumpy 4 acre yard #12  
Buy a new mower with suspension. You won't even notice how bumpy it is then. That's what I do here. These fields used to be plowed and dug out and leveled badly but not a problem with a full suspension ZTR mower.

/ Getting rid of a bumpy 4 acre yard #13  
Where I purchase sand, they will mix sand and topsoil together before you get it.

/ Getting rid of a bumpy 4 acre yard #14  
Reprint from a similar thread:

I have another suggestion but it is VERY moisture (rain) dependent. I have used it to some sucess on my ground, but only if I get the right rainfall. After receiving 1.5" or more of rain, I will aerate the ground with a hollow tine (plug puller) aerator, similar to this:

https://www.equipmentfacts.com/list...95.1747824252.1659310174-244332894.1632942696

The aerator I use is just under 5' wide, 10 wheels, and 16 spoons per wheel. I hit the area twice with the aerator, leaving about 18 holes per square ft. Then hope for more rain for those holes to absorb water and hit with the roller. Even with that many holes per square ft, it doesn't seem to bother the grass. The sod becomes a big sponge and moves with the roller after being "tenderized".

/ Getting rid of a bumpy 4 acre yard #15  
Unless you play golf on it, what does it matter. It's just a yard. ;) My front yard is about 20 acres. I mow it with a tractor and rotary or flail mower depending on height of the grass/weeds. If it doesn't get done this year, I'll look at it again in the Spring. :LOL:

• Good Post
Reactions: JJT
   / Getting rid of a bumpy 4 acre yard #16  
Last year, we went.. "we are going to solve this" poor terrain on 2 acre of lawn..
Dug out all the large rocks. Then ordered many, two unit filled trucks to bring up screened soil. Got to know all the drivers by name. It was expensive.
Then dumped the dirt in various areas, with the 1220 Ford FEL, tractor with a box scrapper. It took all summer. It is better, but not as better as I would have expected as the following year, new large rocks percolated up, and the dirt didn't seem to solve the stump holes. I can't commit another $4,000 dollars. Some land just can't be solved.

I was very surprised at the honesty of Lane Forest Products, of Springfiled Oregon. In that when they saw me ordering huge amounts of Loam and Sand. They suggested I just go with the suppler that they got stuff from: Eugene Sand and Gravel. The difference wasn't all that much. And Lane F P supports local theartre. So I've stayed with the second tier provider, Lane Forest Products, and once a driver showed me exactly how to fix my tractor, saving me 1,200 dollars.

I guess this is a plug, but good local companies should get a high five, once and a while that are not advertisers on TractorBYNet, which is international. :)

Last edited:
   / Getting rid of a bumpy 4 acre yard #17  
Once I figured out the proper adjustment on my suspension seat my zero turn handles most of what I thought would need fixed.

For the rest hubby will get a Honey do list like he never saw before! and directed to this tread.

Janet

/ Getting rid of a bumpy 4 acre yard #18  
When I face a lawn like that I topdress with screened loam, rake out an then roll

Andy

/ Getting rid of a bumpy 4 acre yard #19  
i have been digging out my pond and just take a few buckets of spoils every weekend and back drag it over the worst of the ruts, tends to fill the rut and then i hit it with a hose to wet it down and flow into the voids left over, 2 weeks later the rut is full and the grass has recovered the new soil.

/ Getting rid of a bumpy 4 acre yard #20  
My suggestion to you is go to youtube and look at the guys bringing in dirt and filing in the low places. To me the depth of the rut or holes is not an issue to fill in and level, it is high spots that need to be lowered which means the grass is going to be removed period there. Look at several jobs as with anything else you will see people who know what they are doing and those who have no idea what they are doing. Don't miss the point of cutting grass very short before covering with dirt so it grows back quicker. If it were me, and I have a good grass in my yard would never kill it with herbicide or machine. But if you time it right with right weather depending on the type of grass you have you may not totally lose it with a tiller if not tilled too much. Some grasses such as Bermuda can come back as much Bermuda is sprigged to begin with. Same with centipede and some zoysia varieties. Sprigged grass here will give much better success than seeded new.