Getting rid of mesquite

/ Getting rid of mesquite #11  
Old thread about grubbers: https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/271803-tree-brush-wedge-style-input.html

And: https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/355352-fork-mounted-stump-tree-puller.html

Realized that I can put mine on the SSQA to 3 point adapter and use it on the front.

I will have to convert it from a counter weight back to a grubber :D:

cwPB190008.JPG
cwP5250030.JPG

PB200002.JPG
PB200005.JPG

/ Getting rid of mesquite
From what I read when looking into this a few years ago, spraying them when they are actively growing is the most effective way to get rid of them. Spring time when everything else is starting to grow after winter. Then you have to wait a month or two, so it's all dead, all the way down to the roots.

Mowing the new shoots will encourage the roots to send up additional trees. Where you have one, you could end up with a dozen from the roots left in the ground.

I guess what I was wondering was if I mow it down now while dormant, wait for the new shoots to come up in the spring, and then spray if it will kill it effectively. Wait a few months and until it is dead and then mow again. I have definitely heard if you mow it it will shoot up more snd have multiple trunks.

With eighty acres and estimating one plant per 5 square feet I have around 700,000 plants. Spraying or digging them out individually doesn't seem too feasible. They are so thick and thorny I can't even walk through them much less get through there and spray each one. Shredding,waiting for new growth, then spraying with a 10' boom or something, then waiting and shredding again. seems like a logistically doable approach I just don't know how effective it will be.

/ Getting rid of mesquite #13  
Bdog, I live near Abilene Texas so I have a pretty good idea of what you are facing with the mesquite. I have done several mesquite removal projects in the area over the years. I use a NH L190 Skid steer with a sheeps foot grubber and a rake (similar to what you might find on a dozer except skid steer sized). This system works pretty well for the smaller mesquites such as you are describing when the ground is damp (usually 2 weeks or so after a good soaking rain). I can also remove fully mature mesquites with this system, it just takes longer, think 5-10 min per tree.

It is a time consuming process but very effective if you want to till the land. As long as you cut the plant below the basal nut (usually 6-8" below the surface) you will see little regrowth.

I have participated in several threads on this forum over the last few years regarding mesquite removal. There is some good information there, If you would like to talk about this you can pm me. I would be happy to share my experiences.

Tim

/ Getting rid of mesquite #14  
Lots of anecdotal stories. Some work some don’t. Here’s the Bible on mesquite.

Brush Busters: How to Beat Mesquite - Texas A&M AgriLife Extension

TLDR; remedy 1:4 mixed with diesel, spray anytime on saplings to full trees.

My anecdote: on 14 acres previous owner had dozed the land. Billions of pinky to thumb size shoots. I used 2 gallons of remedy and did as many as I could, individuals applications April/may. Got 90%! Now I just shred 3-4x/year and occasionally go hit a few stands of the small ones in groves. Very manageable.

/ Getting rid of mesquite #15  
It look's like noone want's to answer your question,I will. Mowing/shredding/cutting then spraying regrowth later is the most effective from the point of labor and expense. Everyone is harping on the fact multiple sprouts will spring from each stump but that's actually a good thing. Why? Because there will be more leaves to absorb herbicides and translocate them to roots. Depending on weather,it might be more effective to delay herbicide til early fall or following year. Livestock and wildlife eat tender growth so it might serve as food supplement until you spray. Juniper doesn't resprout much when cut nor is easy to kill with herbicides so concentrate hand cutting to those. With that out of the way,I believe you need a better understanding for best long term benifits. First off "West Tx" can mean 2 destingth different locations to Texans. Are you on IH35 between Hillsboro and Waco or out in Goathead country in Western half of Tx? You mentioned hunting. Maintaining land for cattle and wildlife demand's different approachs. Even deer and quail management is a different. I suggest you talk to your county agent,TP&WL and A&M about your goals. What your neighbors are doing highly impact's what you can successfuly do on your property so take that into consideration before spending much money and effort then realize it will never work. If your place is near Childress or between there and Sherman,I know an old man with a son and grandson who are life time Texans,ranchers and hunters who like visiting with like minded landowners, touring their properties and sharing ideas. :D

/ Getting rid of mesquite #16  
maybe advertise "free mesquite you cut" it's great for barbecues!..

My thought exactly...cut them stack them up then burn slowly with a pig on a spit hanging over it. No it痴 not helpful, but exactly where my thoughts went.

/ Getting rid of mesquite
Thanks for the replies and sorry for my very delayed response. My place is located by Spur which is a couple hours NW of Abilene. We have no intentions of running cattle on this property. I met with a TPW biologist who came out to my place and he recommended drastically thinning the mesquite and juniper but not eliminating them. He basically said to leave about a softball throw distance between the trees so there is some cover and not an overgrown mess.