Getting the 2305 ready

/ Getting the 2305 ready #1  

chipsndust

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 1025R, Curtis cab
Any body else getting ready?
I did the final mowing and mulched the leaves (gator blades worked good). Cleaned and lubed the mowing deck and hung it on the wall. Loader and bucket fit inside my shed in front of the 4-wheeler. Box blade under the roof of the extension on the shed. (You guys DO have an extension on your sheds, right? ;) ) Got the block heater installed, need to make up an extension cord.
Had to get the manual out to put the snowthrower on, I remembered all those posts about getting the universals "in phase" on the PTO and snowthrower. My second winter with the 2305. Had flurries night before last. It has been getting into the 30's almost every night here in central NY. Decided to get it done before the real winter weather sets in.

/ Getting the 2305 ready #2  
my 2210 has been "ready" for awhile now. I have no heated shed to wash and paint the mower so I do it while the weather is stilll in the 50's as soon as the grass slows down. I think it was about mid October. I annually thoroughly clean the mower deck, power wash it, remove all belt covers and clean the dirt out of there - found a chunk of wood wedged in one of the pulleys which is not a good thing :( - then using a stainless brush on myangle grinder remove the concrete like material on the underside getting it nice and smooth and then prime bare metal and paint JD yellow enamel. then set the deck in a nice dry corner for the cold season. well, I can't say snow season cause global warming has changed the climate here considerably in the last 30 years. It's no longer worth even keeping a snowmobile anymore.
the tractor gets a thorough wash with all the engine panels removed.
anywho the 2210 has the loader mounted and ready to clear the occasional snow drift.

/ Getting the 2305 ready
Megotractor:
I don't have a heated shed either, that's why I had a block heater installed. Last winter, I kept the tractor in "my half" of the 2-car garage, which was convenient, but made it impossible to use my woodworking shop. This winter, I'm planning on keeping the tractor in the unheated shed.
How has the primer and enamel worked for you on the underside of the deck? I think others have posted they use some kind of spray on coating which the clippings don't stick to.
Mine cleaned up good, seems like mulching the leaves "polished" the underside, I had very little caked on grass clippings. Maybe the gator blades? I want to paint/coat the underside, but am not sure what to use.
RE: milder winter. It started out that way here, too, until late in the season a lake effect storm dumped eleven feet in two days. I would have run out of room for the stuff if I was plowing it.

/ Getting the 2305 ready #4  
You guys are way ahead of me. I got the cab on but had enough of the mid driveshaft vibration so I cut off the front U joint and am in the process of replacing it with a cv joint. Should be ready later this week.

/ Getting the 2305 ready
Let me know how that mod works out for you. I haven't had the vibration/noise problem.
Do you know what the non-stick coating is that someone posted for the underside of the mowing deck?

/ Getting the 2305 ready #6  
I believe I saw someone say they used wd-40

/ Getting the 2305 ready #7  
It was 60 degrees here in MN yesterday - still picking up leaves. My mower deck and bagging system will stay on for a while...

However, I did lube the entire tractor, loader, mower deck and snowblower. Removed the blades on the mower and sharpened them, powerwashed the underside as well. I have a "turbo" head for my powerwasher that creates a pulsating cone of water - kinda hard to describe - but it works great on the tough spots under the deck. I bought the moweraxle stands for my 62C and I really, really like them. Makes servicing a breeze and saves me some storage space in the winter.

I keep my 2305 in an undeated garage and haven't found a need for a block heater yet. I must admit, the diesel sounds like a coffee can with 6 bolts in it being shook when it's very cold and it's started, but I've had no issues with it starting at all (through 1 winter).

If you've got any diesel left over from the summer, now is a good time to treat it with anti-gel. I let my diesel supply dwindle as summer fades so that I'm getting the treated fuel from the station for winter.

Good Luck!

Scott

/ Getting the 2305 ready #8  
chip, this'll be the first year I used the power brush and first year in three I ever got the under side really clean. I think the paint will last longer now, and it helps that the wife is starting to avoid dirt and gravel while mowing. (overall though she does less damage to the machine than I do) In all after 4 years of use the annual clean and paint has so far prevented rust.
The "coating" you refer to and I've seen it posted too, is some type of special "release" coating for plows, a really tough hard enamel spray paint of some kind, all I remember is that it's for helping plows slip through the dirt.
(I have a block heater too it really helps)

/ Getting the 2305 ready
Mego:
If noone responds with the non-stick coating, I think I'll do like you did - prime and paint with a good quality enamel or maybe polyurethane. I have the underside really clean, but I need to sharpen the blades. Thanks for the feedback on the blockheater, I'm hoping it will help with the cold starts.