Getting Warm

/ Getting Warm #1  

crashz

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L2501, JD LT150, DR Field Mower
The weekend before last, I cut a small 2 acre field that I have cut many times with the brush cutter. This time I used my finish mower, as all of the "brush" is gone and it was nothing more than thick grass. Both the brush cutter (5ft JD 506) and finish mower (Landpride 1872) are oversized for my 19 PTO HP, but they have always worked flawlessly, albeit I have to cut heavy growth slowly.

That Sunday, I had to crawl and stop frequently. Ambient temps were about 98 degrees F, little breaze, and no shade. It only took about 3-4 passes for the temp needle to creep up to half way. I'd never seen the temp needle go past the quarter mark on the bottom. I attributed it to the full throttle operation in the heat, and the tall, thick grass.

Watching it like a hawk, I see the needle creep up and up. It got to about 2/3 and I stopped (not in the red by a good margin), disengaged the PTO and fast idled at 1500 rpms for a minute or so. I popped the hood to clean the screen, but there was nothing on it. It a minute or so, it dropped back to halfway and I proceeded. I finished the job in this manner, stopping and cooling every few passes. Gave me time to hydrate, blow the chaff off of the mower and search for a top link pin that fell out (lost).

This past weekend I decided to try to figure out the issue. I found it and I was a bit shocked. Normally I wash the tractor after every job, and when I do, I clean the radiator with the hose. I blow it out from back to front using water. But I looked carefully, I noticed the fins were blocked. Dirt and dust packed into the radiator, but deep enough that at first glance, it looked clean. It was not!

So I took the battery out, the air filter housing out, and dismounted the hydraulic cooler, laying it down in from the of the radiator. I blew out the radiator from front to back using my air gun. The junk that came out was staggering! It would have easily filled a gallon jug container.

This will go in as a yearly PM service now. I've never "cleaned" the radiator. Just in-effectively rinsed it out, all the while packing more dirt in that I didn't realize. While I won't go throwing the screen away, I can honestly say I've never seen all that much buildup on the screen. Seems to get stuck in the rad fins only.

Let this post be a reminder to clean your radiator!

Do you guys with "deluxe" tractors have better screens or coolers that you can access better?

Attachments

• rad.jpg
    rad.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 90
   / Getting Warm #2  
I never use water as it makes the dust turn to cement in the fins. I reverse blow out the fins with air EVERY time I mow and have never had a problem.

/ Getting Warm #3  
98 ambient temp, no breeze, no shade...eager to meet the lord?

/ Getting Warm
Ha! Actually, it was warm out to me, but I felt relatively comfortable. Wore shorts and white shirt.

/ Getting Warm
I never use water as it makes the dust turn to cement in the fins. I reverse blow out the fins with air EVERY time I mow and have never had a problem.
I learned the lesson the hard way. I never expected that build-up to harden in there. Took about an hour with the air-gun on each and every fin to get it clean all the way through.

/ Getting Warm #6  
I was spreading chicken manure over a cut over in this. No shade, no top on tractor, no breakfast, no lunch, no supper, and only hot water to drink. Went from 5:45 am until 9:00 pm. One day we sheared a key and needed some key stock at about 1:30 pm, I went and got some food while he was in town. About 20 miles to town, so I had time. Then it rained on me the last half of the last day. I thought we was through until six more dump trucks with litter showed up.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-07-20-17-05-06-776.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-07-20-17-05-06-776.jpg
    356.5 KB · Views: 67
   / Getting Warm #7  
I learned the lesson the hard way. I never expected that build-up to harden in there. Took about an hour with the air-gun on each and every fin to get it clean all the way through.
All we can do is keep trying to get the message out that the radiator needs air flow....THROUGH the core.....to rid the coolant of heat. Thanks for posting your experience. (y)

/ Getting Warm #8  
Good post! Probably not just a Kubota thing.

/ Getting Warm #9  
Do you have means of carrying portable air tank....also check air filter.

/ Getting Warm #10  
Experience the same thing with my MF1540 hst. Brush hog about 5 acres once at the end of each summer. Usually on a hot sunny day when it’s nice and dry. Takes about three to four hours, full rpms, and slow speed.

At about 2.5 hours, the engine temps continually climb into the red zone. I brush off the chaff that’s clogging everything, and it cools off enough to go about 15 minutes more at a time.

After I’m done, the next day i wash the radiator fins really well. It’s amazing how much stuff is in them; always looks clean when eyeballing it.