GIANT GATOR GAR !!!!!!!!!

/ GIANT GATOR GAR !!!!!!!!! #1  

bullbreaker

Elite Member
Tractor
D Ranchers daughter'$
Just wondered anybody here ever fished for or caught one of those giant alligator gars ? Espiecially you folks from The Lone Star state . Down here in Fla Everglades we have good sized ones but not those monsters. Lets hear true stories (no fish tales). Pic's maybe ..............

Boone

Alligator Gar

Attachments

• broken-bow-gar1.jpg
    broken-bow-gar1.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 1,063
   / GIANT GATOR GAR !!!!!!!!! #3  
Nothing that big around here ... Atoka Lake we've seen some caught that were about 18-24" ... My wife or I have never got one. I suppose if there is 18-24" one's there must be bigger ones??

/ GIANT GATOR GAR !!!!!!!!! #4  
I also see ...looking closer that picture is captioned Broken Bow Lake Oklahoma !!

/ GIANT GATOR GAR !!!!!!!!!
I also see ...looking closer that picture is captioned Broken Bow Lake Oklahoma !!

Dang good eyesite(or glasses) I didn't even notice .

:thumbsup:

Boone

/ GIANT GATOR GAR !!!!!!!!! #6  
I have caught pretty good size freshwater Gar in the Holston River in Tennessee. When they are in the area, all the other species of fish would quit biting. I suppose this is because of the predatory tenancies of the Garfish. You could hit the Gar with an Axe and the Axe would just bounce off the scales. I have never caught a large Alligator Gar while I lived in Florida. I think the needle fish is related to the Garfish. They have a mouth full of needle pointed teeth, are very slimy, and wreak havoc on your bait when using a poping cork. They are usually more active during the summer months and are pesky critters.:D

/ GIANT GATOR GAR !!!!!!!!! #7  
There used to be lots of really big ones 4 to 6 ft in the Brazos and LaVaca rivers. But they have mostly dissappeared. We really tried not to catch them.

Best story I have on one was that Myself and three of my cousins were on the laVaca in a john boat just fooling around. We were all about 14 or so. Floating down the river with our.22's and ran into about a 4 ft one that must have been asleep. It jumped up out of the water and landed in the boat. It got real exciting and I think we shot about ten holes in the bottom of the boat.

/ GIANT GATOR GAR !!!!!!!!! #8  
I caught my 4' one from land under the Causeway Bridge on Lake Ponchartrain can fishing. We would bait a few hooks on lines with fresh mullet and toss them out in the water and then wrap the line around a beer can with a few pebbles in it that would rattle when something got the line.

We had leaders on the lines because we were shark fishing when we got him.

We skinned it and my mother baked it in a red gravy and it was pretty good.:licking:

This was in 1967 so I am not sure if there are still any gars left in that area.

/ GIANT GATOR GAR !!!!!!!!! #10  
I caught one many years ago around 36". I got him in the boat and the dog took one look and jumped overboard and started swimming for home.
I guess he figured he liked his chances in the water better than in the boat with all those teeth.
I've heard that in Texas they cook them up and have a GAR-B-QUE.