Glow Plug Circuit (do I need a resistor?)

/ Glow Plug Circuit (do I need a resistor?)
So here's some news. It appears that the engine that's in this thing is not the engine it originally came with. I was having a **** of a time trying to find things on the parts list that lined up with what was there. I finally managed to get a blow up of the block, and it appears there are differences (the oil pan looks completely different). I thought it was very strange that the oil drain plug wasn't aligned with a hole in the bottom of the unit, so opening it would create quite a mess.

So now I'm stuck trying to figure out what engine I have! I can't find any markings on the block other than an "S2" in the block casting, and what looks like a serial number P11061 stamped on the other side. Nothing else seems to have identifying marks on it (albeit it's really hard to get in there). Is there any group out there that I can post pictures to and hope to find out what engine is in this thing?

/ Glow Plug Circuit (do I need a resistor?) #12  
A simple push button with relay to connect 12 volts to glow plugs would be simplest... If Autozone universal ignition switch is working why change it unless you are doing antique restoration.... Might consider putting glow lamp in circuit just in case its a inline resistor to drop voltage and it would also indicate GP's were getting power... Also agree it would be good to know what voltage/amperage requirements of PG's are...

MY new model MF GC 1715 just says to hold switch in glow plug position for 8-10 seconds.... IF I hold it longer they just get hotter... No timer, no magic, just indicator lamp on dash panel that comes on when key in GP heat position....

There is a thing out there called "KISS" principle (Keep It Simple Stupid).... Grin!....

IF engine is not original, just make thing work simplest way possible, create circuits that are needed as simple as possible...

Been doing automotive and electronics since the 60's... This circuit still has me worried though....

1341632.jpg

Dale

/ Glow Plug Circuit (do I need a resistor?) #13  
Love it. Should work, as I see the inclusion of the FLUX capacitor. Does one need to buy smoke seperately for the "most expensive chip"

/ Glow Plug Circuit (do I need a resistor?) #14  
A simple pushbutton and relay will work. You need a relay with 100 amp contacts and 1 gauge wire though. You could branch off to each plug with 8 gauge.
That is nutty the previous owner stripping wires, but maybe he knows what the motor is. You need to know oil capacity, filters, etc.Glow%20plugs.jpeg

/ Glow Plug Circuit (do I need a resistor?)
A simple pushbutton and relay will work. You need a relay with 100 amp contacts and 1 gauge wire though. You could branch off to each plug with 8 gauge.
That is nutty the previous owner stripping wires, but maybe he knows what the motor is. You need to know oil capacity, filters, etc.View attachment 588611
He is as perplexed as I am. It was like that when he bought it. He is going to try and contact the person he bought it from, but I am not holding my breath. I am really hoping someone will recognize the engine from the pictures in my other thread.

/ Glow Plug Circuit (do I need a resistor?) #17  
Ok, so bit of a bump to this subject and back on subject. firstly "industrial toys" post describing the simplicetally of this indicator i have to agree with. being from an electrical background with experience in generator and motor protection and thermal overload devices they operate precisely as he explained.

my issue is on our walker zero turn the glow indicator has no lens on it enabling a path for moisture to get into the electrical cavity where the hour-meter, gauges, key-switch etc reside. does anyone know if there are caps that can go over the top to keep the weather out of this enclosure? this is even exacerbated as the panel faces upwards.

for reference this is the style of the indicator,
1636084790447.png

/ Glow Plug Circuit (do I need a resistor?) #18  
I wonder if Pyrex has a shape that would work? I suspect that indicator gets hot, so maybe mount the lens with hi-temp silicon gasket sealer?
Pyrex makes small glass items: petri dishes, shot glass size beakers, and watch glass.

How many amps do they take? I've typically seen the ig. switch circuit activate a remote relay to handle the glow plug current draw.

/ Glow Plug Circuit (do I need a resistor?) #19  
its not so much the amps that determine the heating but watts, however amps are one componant of that, i guess i need to measure the voltage drop across it whilst glowing to determine this, but regardless your suggestion of an off the shelf pyrex item may fit the bill. will have to keep eyes peeled. in the meantime i are waiting for a replacement keyswitch to come and the machine (walker zero turn mower) also needs some attention in the fuel shutoff solonoid curcuit.