Glow Plugs ?

/ Glow Plugs ? #1  

Dave5264

Gold Member
Tractor
08 Montana C5264, 2011 McCormick CX100 XS
Hi All, 3 questions

1)how do i know if my Tractor has Glow plugs?

2) how do i know if they stop working? (hard to start in the cold I'd guess)

3) can you start a tractor with or without turning them on, if it has them ? or do they come on automatically?

Mine is a Montana 5264 with the 3 cyl Fiat Dielsel, 60's technology (UTB of Romania)

thanks

/ Glow Plugs ? #2  
I'm sure your (over 50 HP) tractor has them ... In Canada.
Without you should notice a BIG difference in summer/winter starts.
You can start without them but on most tractors it is an automatic, key to on wait for an indicator to either go out or light.
Some have a spot on the start key switch (like turn backwards and hold) for glow plugs.
You should have some type of activation on that tractor. KennyV

/ Glow Plugs ? #3  
Is it the old style UTB tractor engine if so it has what is called Thermostart and no glow plug You can find it mounted on the intake manifold with a wire and a small fuel line running to it.
Glow plugs are mounted into the head and you should have 3 all connected with a wire or buss bar.

/ Glow Plugs ?
Yes, for sure I have an Intake heater /Thermostarter, the starter lever activates that if i swing it to the left to start (vs the right without intake heater)

Just wasnt sure on the Glow plugs as well....

thanks Guys

/ Glow Plugs ? #5  
Yes, for sure I have an Intake heater /Thermostarter, the starter lever activates that if i swing it to the left to start (vs the right without intake heater)

Just wasnt sure on the Glow plugs as well....

thanks Guys

I have the same engine in my Universal 445DT (that's an UTB 445DT). Mine has done around 7000 hours. You should feel the inlet manifold hot after activating the Thermostart (same switch on mine too!).

We don't get frosts ANYTHING like Canada here ( -5 deg C is cold for us & around ) deg C is more usual.) Mine takes a bit of starting in those conditions - left outside in the weather - I haven't got a shed yet. I've often thought it a pity it didn't have glowplugs because my diesel cars start instantly in any winter here.
Canada of course may be a bit different!! Do you have a block heater?

/ Glow Plugs ? #6  
Hi All, 3 questions

1)how do i know if my Tractor has Glow plugs?

2) how do i know if they stop working? (hard to start in the cold I'd guess)

3) can you start a tractor with or without turning them on, if it has them ? or do they come on automatically?

Mine is a Montana 5264 with the 3 cyl Fiat Dielsel, 60's technology (UTB of Romania)

thanks

All these questions will be answered by reading a reasonably well written and edited OPERATOR'S MANUAL!

/ Glow Plugs ? #8  
All these questions will be answered by reading a reasonably well written and edited OPERATOR'S MANUAL!

But does the operators manual tell you about the injector pump cold start device?

/ Glow Plugs ? #10  
Why would it not? Any operational feature of the tractor should be described in a decent Op manual. Try reading one sometime.

BECAUSE it wasn't in the op manual I found it by mistake one day while I was repairing a pump and reading a CAV manual! I had over $3k of shop manuals I think I have read a few manuals in my time
Put that in your pipe and smoke it!.