goat trailer

/ goat trailer #1  

mikim

Veteran Member
Tractor
NH TC45
I was passing a junk shop in our little wide spot in the highway and they had this 2 wheel trailer sitting there with a home made cover that I thought could be renovated into a small cattle trailer for goats and maybe mini cows. I dickered with her a bit and took it home, thinking I'd have it setup in a week or two. Well ....the thing about renovation is....you don't know how deep you have to go until you're well into demo. Turns out this thing had a fire in it some time in it's past and it was only sorta patched up. SO....the second pic is how it's sitting today as I rebuild the wood frame on the top and then get to the rest. Thankfully the frame & body are solid and so is the axle & bearings...it came with new wheels and tires. I'd like to wrap it in metal again but that's out of my experience level so we'll have to see. It's been here for 2 weeks ....this may take a bit longer than I anticipated..... 20150325_141744.jpg20150407_090048.jpg

/ goat trailer #2  
For cheep metal to wrap, check your local roofing company. Many times they will have short section of steel (pro-pannel) roofing available, left over from projects. They will also have a selection of trim pieces.

Looks like a fun project

/ goat trailer #3  
:)Mike,
I agree with powerscol.:thumbsup: That looks like a "fun" project.:D
hugs, Brandi

/ goat trailer #4  
Mikim, if you intend to haul small livestock, turn it into a livestock trailer. Assuming you weld, it is not all that hard to do. Take a look at this one. Send me a PM is you want some pointers, I'll be happy to help.
red_ls.jpg red_back.jpg

/ goat trailer
welding -- that's just about exactly what I'd like to have -- but trying to buy anything of that level of quality or potential is out of my range. This one was cheap and I have no plans to spend much at all on it. Goal here is to have less than $1000 in it when I get it done. The top has a wood frame -- in need of major repair, but 2x4 and 1x4 are cheap...I took off the rusted metal and I'm hoping to find new that won't cost a fortune. The top side panels are only 3x8 .... Another option I'm thinking of is to use 1/2 plywood on the sides and coat it with epoxy paint. That would run about $100 total. .....It's not that I couldn't afford to spend a lot on it ....it's more that it ain't worth it. The floor is a little higher than I'd like - about 20" AGL ...but I have a foldable attached ramp worked out in my head. Last item on the list...may not happen. If I use plywood I can maybe make sliding panels that will open in good weather but close in bad...and maybe a feed bunker up front....If I can close it up I can use it as a fully closed trailer for moving furniture & boxes etc.....Lots of ideas running around in my head right now. Just finishing the demo ....reno will be slow until I formulate a final plan.

/ goat trailer #6  
Mike,
Why not use sheep or hog panel for the siding. TSC has 2x4 and 4x4 square panels 48 (maybe 50) inches by 16 foot galvanized panels. I priced the 4x4 square panel in Conroe at $49.99. I am going to make Rebecca her backyard back fence with it.

Just weld in vertical corners and make a roof of wood or metal. Tack the panel to the vertical corners. You could even make the loading gate from it.
hugs, Brandi

/ goat trailer #7  
Mikim, this may surprise you but the trailer, 1X1 and 1X2 square tubing, fenders, lights, wiring, paint and tarp used on that trailer cost less than $800. The rest is sweat and elbow grease.

/ goat trailer
Mikim, this may surprise you but the trailer, 1X1 and 1X2 square tubing, fenders, lights, wiring, paint and tarp used on that trailer cost less than $800. The rest is sweat and elbow grease.
sweat, elbow grease, training and talent....I seem to be missing at least 2 of those...:(.... sure looks good.

/ goat trailer
brandi -- I want to make it somewhat weather tight so it can be a multiple use. I'll likely use that hog panel for the center section opening, but have a door that I can close over it for bad wx. OR...I could just KISS and use a tarp like welding did on his purty lil home made. ....still in thinkin' mode....reno mode hasn't started yet.

/ goat trailer #10  
What a sweet looking trailer. Nice work.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: