Dealer Good Dealer?

/ Good Dealer? #11  
Thanks everyone.

Question: Do you have to service a new tractor where you bought it?

Speaking only from my own experience with the Kioti the answer is no.

I did my own service work. However, I did make it a point as part of my casual conversation and building rapport that they knew I came to buy my filters from them in order to keep warranty issues down. They know I'm (85-90) miles down the road, so they even offer to ship them for me next time; which they have before.

This dealer and staff have treated me well knowing I'm there for parts and knowledge. I kid around a lot with a few and pick their brains on the nuances of the machine.

If your resources are limited but have connections and someone can service the machine for you it should not be a problem. Out of support for the dealer I would consider getting the filters from them just to build that rapport should any warranty concerns crop up.

Last edited:
   / Good Dealer?
From your description, it sounds like they are small equipment oriented - as opposed to being a big Ag/heavy iron dealer. Depending on local preferences and bank accounts, these now popular options may not have come up much in the past if there is only light/hobby farming in the area. As long as they are an authorized dealer for the particular tractor line, they should have access to all the factory resources needed to support the tractor.
Yes! True, there are remnants of older style farming here, mostly angus cattle and a little hay; but these farmers tend to be old, and so are their tractors. (We have an equipment auction every few months here; always a LOT of seemingly museum-worthy equipment.) Then there are the newer small-scale specialty farms--goat cheese, organic veggies, grass-fed beef, organic free-range eggs, alpaca wool--you get the picture. Plus retirees moving to the mountains. These may be the main customers for these new modern tractors the dealer is selling.

Personal history (of interaction) means a lot to me, so I'd first be inclined to work with somebody locally who I'd had good business dealings with. Any competent mechanic should be able to add hydraulics as desired - if it turns out they won't play ball/aren't interested, then you may have to move further afield.

Outside of warranty, you'll need an adequate truck/trailer to transport the tractor a distance for service - if you're new to all this, be aware that you may need more truck/trailer than you think. <- Perhaps old news to you, but worth repeating esp. if you are getting serious about buying from a distant dealer/brand. Depending on brand and warranty details, this transport issue might come up, even within the warranty period - I'd check transport coverage and on-site service policy before buying distantly....

They pickup/deliver for around $90 round-trip and that's what we've always done and probably will do.

Lastly, if you are new to larger (than lawn) tractors, don't be shy about asking for a demo on their lot before the sale. See how the controls are laid out - do they suit you ergonomically, does the seat have the adjustment range you need (hopefully vertical damping at minimum)....etc ? Get used to the transmission shift action, and anything else they'll let you play with tractor/implement wise. Ask where all the fluid service points are on the tractor - should be in the Owner's Manual, but never hurts to know early-on.

Rgds, D.

Done that. Lots. :)

/ Good Dealer? #13  
Question: Do you have to service a new tractor where you bought it?

No you do not. But other dealers with a franchise for your brand tractor may not be willing to provide warranty service on a new tractor not purchased there. My local Kubota dealer regularly complains about Kubota not reimbursing him sufficiently to cover warranty service costs with some "tricky" problems. When people buy from him he considers part of the profit as a "bank" to cover potential warranty claims.

/ Good Dealer?
......Face it - he's probably never dealt with a woman with your knowledge and knows exactly what she wants. It can be just a little intimidating.

True, a girl buying a tractor has thrown some of the old-school tractor dealers waaay off. :)

Frankly, I've visited a few dealers, and read a lot of reviews too, and there's a lot of attitude and even rudeness from some of these dealers. It's like they only want to deal with their idea of a traditional farmer. Almost like they *resent* this new rural demographic: organic hobby farmers, retirees from the big city, old hippies, and (God forbid) women shopping for a tractor without a hubby along. Guess what, fellas? these are your new customers.

(P.S. the dealer we are discussing is NOT like this.)

/ Good Dealer?
Dealer has a difficult time keeping mechanics in this economy.

Amen, brother. It's a real problem out here. None of the kids want to stay; most of the ones that do stay were too lazy to finish school, or on drugs. Or both.

(We were very lucky to find a bright, motivated, hard-working, reliable 18-year-old to work for our business. Zero experience but we hired her in a New York minute, and she will have a real career path with us.)

/ Good Dealer? #16  
True, a girl buying a tractor has thrown some of the old-school tractor dealers waaay off. :)

Frankly, I've visited a few dealers, and read a lot of reviews too, and there's a lot of attitude and even rudeness from some of these dealers. It's like they only want to deal with their idea of a traditional farmer. Almost like they *resent* this new rural demographic: organic hobby farmers, retirees from the big city, old hippies, and (God forbid) women shopping for a tractor without a hubby along. Guess what, fellas? these are your new customers.

(P.S. the dealer we are discussing is NOT like this.)
I've run into some of that as a guy buying a tractor. Some of the older dealers seem to only want to sell large equipment to larger farmers, could care less about the smaller models. Local green dealer wouldn't give me the time of day when shopping years ago.

/ Good Dealer? #17  
I have really mostly skim this thread but is not necessary because you are female. More so because you out side their normal market my guess. Some dealers have such an established market you probably asked out side of their normal. Here we have large farmers, commercial equipment operators, hobby farmers and one neighbor how has a $30,000 dollar jd with box blade on it to keep the drive way in shape on his rented mobile home drive. Not sure have ever seen a hyd top link. I am sure there are some out there but not a popular option here. Rusty new equipment, have seen it on most lots I have ever paid attention to the full line of implements. My guess all order an implement that just does not sell for what ever reason. One of the biggest sprayer dealers I know had a sprayer that had to be at least two years old the last time was on their lot. Also rust on some equipment is prevented by the user with the oil they use on it by accident or in servicing it.

My belief is you are seeing a dealer who sells very few tractors as it is more a side line but that does not mean they are not a dependable dealer. The one thing I find is the filling of the tires. However I have filled a tire or tires not sure if was one or two and not a big bad job. Jacked the tire clear, put the fill valve on it with hose from tank to drain the anti freeze into. Then connected water hose to it, let it run, then cut it off and open connect to let air out, close and run water over and over to get to fill line which is normally with valve stem at the 12 o'clock level.

Owner being a mechanic backs up idea of small hands on dealer. That does not mean the dealer for you or that you should run from to me..

/ Good Dealer?
Yes buckeyefarmer and kthompson, it's not just girls; I have heard guys say they were treated rudely as well; guess it's anyone who's not a "traditional farmer." Like it or hate it, things change, and if you're in business you adapt or die. And I am in business. :)

/ Good Dealer? #19  
I don't know of any tractor or farm implement dealer that has a show room and enough storage to keep their inventory indoors.
Also, I could see where a smaller dealer handling only the small and lawn and garden tractors would not be familiar with loading tires,
hydraulic top links and remote valves.
I have heard several dealer personal commenting on there preference for dealing with active farmers compared to "hobbyist", part of that
is the attitude of people when there occasional use equipment acts up and they believe that there's should be taken care of immediately
when there is commercially used equipment being worked on that was scheduled in first.

/ Good Dealer? #20  
Girl,

My wife and I just bought a tractor. Mostly for my wife. The dealers we spoke with all catered to her and her questions. Like you she is very knowledgeable and if she has questions will ask more till she understands. I think you should talk to your local dealer about your concerns of his lack of knowledge about the larger machines. Just because he doesn't know yet himself doesn't mean he is a bad mechanic or won't service your machine well.

As for buying a tractor at one location and have it serviced in another. The tractor is warranted by the tractor manufacturers not the sales office. I should be able to buy a tractor in Seattle and drive it to Florida and get it serviced anywhere along the way. That being said your local dealer may not be happy doing warranty work on a tractor he didn't get a commission off of. I also think that should be a lesson for the dealer to check his prices. I have a dealer 15 minutes from me but bought from a dealer 3 hours away. Keeping fingers crossed I don't have any major issues anytime soon.