Dealer Good Dealer?

/ Good Dealer?
I don't know of any tractor or farm implement dealer that has a show room and enough storage to keep their inventory indoors.
Also, I could see where a smaller dealer handling only the small and lawn and garden tractors would not be familiar with loading tires,
hydraulic top links and remote valves.
True, they are always outside. Was just wondering if you guys would buy an implement where the hook-ups (the bolts and sliding parts) are completely rusted. Don't see how you could even get in there to clean it up, or is that okay? And yes, it seems from the comments here that the lack of a lot of big farmers might explain the unfamiliarity with loading tires, etc. Thank you all for that perspective.

I have heard several dealer personal commenting on there preference for dealing with active farmers compared to "hobbyist", part of that
is the attitude of people when there occasional use equipment acts up and they believe that there's should be taken care of immediately
when there is commercially used equipment being worked on that was scheduled in first.

True, "city folks" may be used to fast service. For me, if the dealer said he was working on a real farmer's tractor so he could get a crop in, I would have no problem with that.

But yep, I get it. We will always come last. Last to be waited on, last to be serviced, last to get any kind of courtesy. Makes sense.

/ Good Dealer?
Girl,

My wife and I just bought a tractor. Mostly for my wife. The dealers we spoke with all catered to her and her questions. Like you she is very knowledgeable and if she has questions will ask more till she understands. I think you should talk to your local dealer about your concerns of his lack of knowledge about the larger machines. Just because he doesn't know yet himself doesn't mean he is a bad mechanic or won't service your machine well.

The particular dealer I'm posting about has been great that way. Some other dealers, not so much.....

Good for your wife! Hey, girls like tractors too. Myself, I always wanted a tractor, since a little girl. Love cars too. I just hate wrenching cuz all the black grease, and everything's so hard to GET to in an engine. Carpentry is way more fun.

/ Good Dealer? #23  
The particular dealer I'm posting about has been great that way. Some other dealers, not so much.....

Good for your wife! Hey, girls like tractors too. Myself, I always wanted a tractor, since a little girl. Love cars too. I just hate wrenching cuz all the black grease, and everything's so hard to GET to in an engine. Carpentry is way more fun.
That's why the wife keeps me around. Besides being pretty I lift heavy things and fix stuff.

/ Good Dealer? #24  
GWWT, it sounds to me like you have found a good dealer... he is willing to talk to you! That's why I don't own a Kubota. Dealer (owner) took me out and showed me the tractor I thought I might like, had me drive it to the dirt pile and said, "play with it". Great! Except I never saw him again. Waited and waited. Finally had to walk away, he was nowhere to be found.

Went to the 'local' Ag Expo (6 hours each way). Lots of dealers didn't want to talk to 25hp buyers. Lots did, too, though!

Very few were familiar with filling tires with anything other than sodium chloride as farmers did way back when. None could figure out why I wanted two remote valves out back. And none of them had ever heard of TBN!

As long as you know what you want, you can eventually get dealers to sell it to you, even if they don't get 'why'.

But I don't want rust on new equipment.

/ Good Dealer? #25  
True, they are always outside. Was just wondering if you guys would buy an implement where the hook-ups (the bolts and sliding parts) are completely rusted. Don't see how you could even get in there to clean it up, or is that okay?

True, "city folks" may be used to fast service. For me, if the dealer said he was working on a real farmer's tractor so he could get a crop in, I would have no problem with that.

But yep, I get it. We will always come last. Last to be waited on, last to be serviced, last to get any kind of courtesy. Makes sense.

Rust.... depends who you ask. (BTW, post some pics of the implement hookups and you will likely get feedback on how to address the rust).

I grew up around working farms - equipment there got faded and rusted as a matter of that kind of "normal" use. Did custom small-square bale hay in my teens...... we wore stuff out on that New Holland baler (good baler, just high-volume use) that the experienced dealer mech had never seen worn out.....

Hobby farmers divide into sub-camps too, but for many, tractors are prized "toys" that are treated better than most ATV/seadoos/skidoos/boats are - never heard about detailing tractors, till I started hanging around on TBN :)

Not to give the impression that equipment shouldn't be well cared for..... Myself I tend to focus more so on the mechanical/functional aspects of equipment, than cosmetic.

It comes down to $ for me...... If you are somebody who can live with a bit of visual distraction (rust on implement hookups....) then as long as the selling price reflects the Less Than 100% Perfect Condition of the item(s), then I'd take a serious look at the deal. I get it that some people can't do this..... all good, we all have our trigger points....

You already have a good working relationship with the local guy...... so you can bypass the potential lack-of-service at a new shop. IMO, it's not so much city vs. country...... it's just that some businesses and salespeople get pretty lazy...... they'd sooner (big Ag country) sell one $500,000 unit, than chase twenty $25,000 deals.

Attitude - works both ways...... I know someone who owns/runs several automotive service shops in the city north of me...... has some great stories about city vs. city customers - summarized by saying unrealistic expectations and aggressive demeanor aren't welcome in most shops, regardless of location......

^ Not inferring anything about your situation...... you come across as someone who is serious about running a business, and are looking for good value/service locally...... < sounds like Olde School Farming to me :thumbsup:

Rgds, D.

/ Good Dealer?
But yep, I get it. We will always come last. Last to be waited on, last to be serviced, last to get any kind of courtesy. Makes sense

What I was really talking about was the *attitude* of old-school country folk here toward newcomers.

So here's a small defense of country newbies: To move here you've got to really love country living cuz you give up everything else--culture, good restaurants, and a hospital closer than an hour, among other things. A lot of transplants (like myself) were always country at heart, but had to wait til they retired or made enough money to afford it, and some just take a big chance and do it anyway. None of them are big-city a**holes IMO. And quite frankly, without us there'd be a net outflow of people from the area, and likely a dying town. But no question, we are resented. They exclude us from their society, try to screw us on land deals, take advantage of our ignorance, encroach on our land, and worst of all, ignore us. Many refuse to sell land to outsiders. They don't "list" the good land; they only sell it to each other, privately. Now a few have been lovely and welcoming. But the county and town leadership is a crew of old grouches who seem determined to take us back to the '50's. Oh well, ya gotta take the good with the bad, wherever you are!

Sorry, OT. :)

Thanks everyone. I feel a lot better about the dealer. Now just waiting for the new tractors to arrive.....this week?

/ Good Dealer? #27  
Find a better, more knowledgeable tractor dealer for your Tractor needs. Continue using your usual dealer for what they are good at. Sometimes, one size does not fit all or well. Happy hunting!

/ Good Dealer? #28  
I bought my last tractor sight unseen from Barlows in KY. They also took my trade. Look them up, give them a call. Lots of TBN members have bought from them.

As for implements, a little rust is ok, depends on where, etc.. Would have to see it to really know.

/ Good Dealer? #29  
I would think a "Good" Dealer would want your business and strive to make you happy. A Woman's money should be as good as a Man's. If not, find a new Dealer.

/ Good Dealer? #30  
I don't know how far you are from Richmond, VA but there are several good dealers around here. It might be worth driving down and checking some of them out.

If that mechanic could not understand why you need filled tires (especially being up there in the hills) then you need to shop elsewhere (JMO). Every dealer around my area usually fill the tires automatically when you buy unless you tell them not to. I could be wrong but it sounds like you are buying from a lawnmower shop who decided to start selling tractors on the side. It might be ok if you don't need to rely on them for maintenance. I have seen some local lawnmower/power equipment dealers around here pick up a tractor line for a few years then just stop carrying them all of a sudden. I have seen this quite a bit and that would make me a little hesitant about purchasing from them.

Not sure if you are dead set on buying new but a fellow I know who lives up on top of a mountain near Staunton, VA bought a nice used Kubota from Hartman Machinery. They sell lots of good used tractors. Might be worth looking at if you are not looking for new.