Good Doer goes to jail

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Good Doer goes to jail #1  

Junkman

Tractor
2003 Kubota BX-22
This man in Texas saves a persons life when he is drowning and is arrested for interfering with police afterward for doing so. Read the article here. Sure would like to know the "rest of the story". Any of the TBN Texans read anything about this story??????

/ Good Doer goes to jail #2  
Junkman,
Of course they arrested him, he STOLE the spotlight. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Cops don't have much of a sense of humor. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Good Doer goes to jail #3  
A couple years ago we had the opposite happen in Manistee Michigan. Man fell in the water - Sheriff dept. Deputy responded to 911 call, then called in the local Rescue Team. A local scuba diver heard the call on his scanner and showed up with gear in hand. As he suited up the Deputy advised him that since he was not part of the rescue team the Deputy couldn't let him save the drowing man. Diver said he was going anyway - Deputy arrested him for interfearing with the police. Meanwhile, with the Rescue Team stuck in traffic, the victim drowned. Cost the County Big Bucks...as it should have. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

/ Good Doer goes to jail #4  
I removed a gator that was blocking trafic one time and it upset a few of them when I took it over to the pond and let it go

/ Good Doer goes to jail #5  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Deputy arrested him for interfearing with the police. Meanwhile, with the Rescue Team stuck in traffic, the victim drowned. Cost the County Big Bucks...as it should have. )</font>

I'm usually on the side 'for' law enforcement.. but boneheaded stuff like this really burns me. IMHO, the county and sheriffs dept. should have been hit with a damage claim so big that it bankrupted both budgets for a few years, plus loss of LEO certification for the sheriff, trainer, and deputy involved, and a provision that they could never work in a position that put the safety of others in their hands.

( Do ya get the idea that this burns me? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

Soundguy

/ Good Doer goes to jail #6  
Yeah soundguy,
Just because they have a uniform does not mean they have any common sense or know the law very well. Anyone who does something that stupid should not ever be allowed to be a cop again.
Ben

/ Good Doer goes to jail #7  
I'm a career firefighter/paramedic in a large urban department. We have a fulltime dedicated swiftwater rescue team. We've all been through some of the training. I'll tell you this, swiftwater will surprise and kill you faster than you think.

I'm going against the grain on this one and agree that if directed by the trained professionals who have experience and know what they are doing, he should have been arrested. Leave that kind of work to those of us who are trained, equipped and payed to risk our lives.

If he (the rescuer) had been swept away and died, the family would have most likely sued the government authority saying he should have not been allowed to enter the water.

/ Good Doer goes to jail #8  
Junkman, read the last two paragraphs from the Houston Chronicle's article here .

Wow that is strange, The rescuer actually led a successful campaign in 1999 to remove safety devices (fences) around the dangerous water hole. Earlier this year two people died in the water hole, now another person almost dies.

I wonder if he feels like the "Campaign" he led was responsible for thoes deaths?

/ Good Doer goes to jail #9  
<font color="blue"> "Police say Dave Newman, 48, disobeyed repeated orders by emergency personnel to leave the water.<font color="red"> The police report does not mention Newman's rescue of 35-year-old Abed Duamni of Houston on Sunday afternoon. </font>" </font>

What good was their talking doing??? Shouldn't they have jumped in? <font color="green"> (Leave that kind of work to those of us who are trained, equipped and payed to risk our lives.) </font> /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Good Doer goes to jail #10  
I called the and spoke with the University and they confirmed the arrest. I also learned that the rescuer was well versed in the particulars of this part of the river and had previously testified in hearings about this stretch of water. It does seem that "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished"

Status
Not open for further replies.