Good ebike

/ Good ebike #17  
I got the set up from this outfit

Put it on my 15 year old steel frame GT Richter mountain bike.

Couldn't be happier! I put about 1500 miles on last summer just ratting around our local back roads. Road places I've wanted to go for the past 30 years. We have LOTS of hills. I still return home sweaty and spent, just get to father away places while getting that way. ;-)

/ Good ebike #18  
No doubt - you still can get a ton of exercise. I mostly run on very low level of assistance until I am hitting some of the steep long hills around here. I rode up to one of the cell towers yesterday (gravel and a 1 mile long STEEP hill) and even thought there was NO way I could have rode that even when I was 20 and in peek shape. On my E-Bike I was still winded and legs were burning but made the climb. That is why I love my E-bike.

/ Good ebike #19  
As another ex bike racer I'll agree with RSR. These days the elitist bike shop that only engages with hard core customers is mostly gone (in part because there's way fewer hard core customers than there were 10-15 years ago).

Any decent shop will listen to your needs and steer you towards a bike that will suit them.

The shops in my area often offer discounts on gear bought with bikes, so save room in the budget for helmet shorts gloves jersey glasses water bottles etc.

Cycling whether on road or off is a great sport.

/ Good ebike #20  
if you're planning to ride on car roads, please consider getting some really bright orange shirt or windbreaker, be visible!