Good Grease

/ Good Grease #2  
I use Lithium + Molly (molybdenum) grease. Indifferent to the brand. Molybdenum is the additive that makes lithium grease qualify as high pressure grease.

Cheap grease applied regularly is better than expensive grease applied almost never.

Last edited:
   / Good Grease #3  
I use the slippery kind. When it comes to grease, oil, hydraulic fluid etc it’s more important to use a quality product, change as needed, than any exact brand.

/ Good Grease #5  
I've used Lucas red sticky for years. Not sure its any better but I did watch that test sometime ago and it looked awful good. Grease is cheap. Replacing bearings or the whole machine bits. Most of our bearings run in snow.

/ Good Grease #6  
I'm a fan of Schaeffer's grease. I use 219 Green on wheel bearings and I use 274M on about all tractor and FEL fittings.

You can get it here, a few tubes at a time: Buy1Oils. Best Place to Buy Schaeffer Oil. Great Prices

I have two grease guns so I don't have to be switching grease types. I like the manual ones from Lock N Lube.

Good luck

/ Good Grease #7  
I've been having trouble finding Molly Lithium type grease and I thought about the Red Lucas grease, but haven't tried it. Does it have Molly and Lithium in it? I don't remember seeing that when looking at it.

From what I can see on their website, it has Lithium, but I don't see where it has Molly.

"Lucas Red "N" Tacky Grease is a smooth, tacky, red lithium complex grease fortified with rust and oxidation inhibitors. It has good water resistance and washout properties. It has excellent mechanical stability and storage life. It is able to withstand heavy loads for extended periods of time. It can be used in many agricultural, automotive and industrial applications. Lucas Red "N" Tacky Grease is fortified with a high degree of extreme pressure additives that give it a TRUE Timken load much higher than other greases of this type. Its especially good for sliding surfaces and open gears."

Last edited:
   / Good Grease #8  
Seems it does
--------------------------------------
Lucas Red ""N"" Tacky Grease is a smooth" tacky " red lithium complex grease fortified with rust and oxidation inhibitors. Lucas Red ""N"" Tacky Grease is fortified with a high degree of extreme pressure additives that give it a True Timken load much higher than other greases of this type. It's especially good for sliding surfaces and open gears.

/ Good Grease #9  
Any grease with "moly" (molybdenum disulfide) in it will be black. If the grease claims moly and it isn't black, keep walking. It has the quirk that it both has a low coefficient of friction, and get stronger the higher the friction pressure is.

As most of my greasing is low speed, high pressure joints (tractor and attachments) and bearings, I go with extreme pressure grease (EP) from Shell or Chevron(Mobil). I grease every eight hours, more or less, plus start of use, and end of use for storage. Not all EP greases are black, but many are. I don't need moly for the bearing/surface protection, but I use it when I can find it. Lately, like @EddieWalker, I haven't been finding moly as easily for some reason.

I keep a separate grease gun with high speed grease in it for mower spindles and the like, and one with red lithium waterproof grease in it for trailer bearings.

All the best,

Peter

/ Good Grease #10  
Rolling element bearings, like ball bearings, running at high speed need only a very slight oil film to operate properly. When grease is used to lubricate these bearings the grease is just used as a carrier for oil and this oil is slowly released so that the bearing gets just the slight oil film it needs. When lubricating slow moving sliding elements, like a shaft in a bushing, or slow moving rolling elements like involute profile gears, then the grease will hold high pressure lubricants in suspension so that they will be present at the interface of the rolling elements. When working properly the high pressure lubricants will not get squeezed out of the interface. Most straight cut gears and sprockets have an involute profile which allows, among other things, the teeth to make a rolling contact. This greatly reduces friction while at the same time causes high pressure point loading because the contact is just a line. High pressure greases really help for this type of situation.
Eric