Good Grease

/ Good Grease
TRC 880 crown and chassis. There isn’t any other grease. Been used for over 70 years on this farm. Nothing compares
That's very interesting. I doubt the grease from 70 years ago compares to modern grease, but high quality lubricants are worth the money. They are sure cheaper than repairs!

/ Good Grease #22  
That's very interesting. I doubt the grease from 70 years ago compares to modern grease, but high quality lubricants are worth the money. They are sure cheaper than repairs!
Generally, I would agree, but who is to say that today's grease is identical to the one made 70 years ago?

Regardless, you might want to look at the specifications. The 880 Crown & Chassis grease has an exceptionally high Timken test result of 100lbs. Normally an extreme pressure grease would test out at 30-40lbs, which is significantly lower.

All the best,

Peter

/ Good Grease #24  
For 99% of the people that grease, just greasing is good enough. They probably grease to something that equates to just a couple hours of use between greasing. It isn't going to wear. For the other 1% that run equipment 12 -14+ hours between greasing we need a grease that is still there after the 10 hr. grease interval has been surpassed.

It gets used for 100% applications right down to wheel bearings. 3 grease guns all loaded the same. Nothing to keep track of. Doesn't separate and drip out of the gun making a mess in the shop. I didn’t know that was a thing until I started looking at these forums and see people complain about it. Didn’t have a clue what they were talking about.

/ Good Grease #25  
Thanks for the pointer to buy from TRC directly. I buy by the case these days anyway, so that's nothing new to me. Thanks again for the tips!

All the best,

Peter
You may have a sales rep in your area which would save greatly on shipping I thought about becoming one when ours passed away but just not my thing. Not sure if anybody ever picked up this area. One day decided to see if order directly from them and not an issue.

/ Good Grease
For 99% of the people that grease, just greasing is good enough. They probably grease to something that equates to just a couple hours of use between greasing. It isn't going to wear. For the other 1% that run equipment 12 -14+ hours between greasing we need a grease that is still there after the 10 hr. grease interval has been surpassed.

It gets used for 100% applications right down to wheel bearings. 3 grease guns all loaded the same. Nothing to keep track of. Doesn't separate and drip out of the gun making a mess in the shop. I didn’t know that was a thing until I started looking at these forums and see people complain about it. Didn’t have a clue what they were talking about.
Applications vary. I rarely grease my front loader, since I sometimes go weeks without using it. OTOH, the PTO drive shafts get a workout, often running under load at speed for hours a day. The 3-point is fine getting greased once a week. Implements vary. I still have a rig with zerks on the ball joints. I give them one pump every time I change the oil. They are 25 years old and still tight. Be careful with anything that has both zerks and seals, because you can grease them to death.

I learned a good habit from my dad; service equipment at the end of the day. Blow out the radiator, check/change the oil, grease the zerks, check the air pressure, tighten anything that rattled loose, and fuel up. Keep a maintenance and hour log. It used to drive me crazy to grab a piece of equipment and find it wasn't in operable condition because the previous operator neglected it.

/ Good Grease #27  
Folks sure get **** over grease. Just greasing something now and then with any ol is better than just once with XQO super quanitim kapo grease.
I agree. If Caterpillar/whichever manufacturer thought that there was a significant difference, I would think that they would specify "XQO super quantum kapo grease".

I admit to having some "magic" lubricants on the shelf that I love because they do such a better job than other ones in my experience. Purely personal opinion.

That said I have a particular "problem" lube point that standard EP grease isn't cutting the mustard on, and I am open to trying something new.

All the best,

Peter

/ Good Grease #28  
Only thing I watch out for is mixing grease types. So if you switch types makes sure you pump the old stuff out of the way. Since I am overly analytical about all this I buy a bunch at once. So I don’t waste switching tube to tube.

/ Good Grease #29  
Folks sure get **** over grease. Just greasing something now and then with any ol is better than just once with XQO super quanitim kapo grease.
That also applies to engine oil and to a lesser extent hydraulic oil. Modern lubricants are light years better than they were 50 years ago.

/ Good Grease #30  
Only thing I watch out for is mixing grease types. So if you switch types makes sure you pump the old stuff out of the way. Since I am overly analytical about all this I buy a bunch at once. So I don’t waste switching tube to tube.
So you are always buying different grease. Instead of buying a “bunch” wouldn’t it just be easier to just buy 1 and stick with it?