Good Impact Wrench for Working on Tractors

/ Good Impact Wrench for Working on Tractors #21  
I wonder what would happen if they used a left handed bolt. ... Same thing maybe. Ill check the down helix difference and post back.
OK. ... Heres what I did:

,,,1] Grade 8 bolt, 5/8 x 11 (coarse thread), 2" long with nut run about half way down,
2] Clamped bolt in a vise with nut top extending to just above the jaw,
,,,3] Put Grade 8 washer on the bolt/nut and ran another nut down on it clamping the washer,
4] Tightened the nut to 200ftlb with my clicker torque wrench,
,,,5] Reduced torque setting to 120 ftlb and set to lefthand drive -- nut loosened.
6] Retightened to 200 and tried to loosen at 90 - nope,
,,,7] Tried 100 - yep ... Retightened to 200,
8] Tried 90 - nope ... 95 - nope ... 97 Yep

... So coarse thread fresh tightened to 200 will loosen at about 50% of that. No lube used.
The 50% proportion should hold close for any torque.
larry

/ Good Impact Wrench for Working on Tractors #23  
ATP 1550 1.5"drive, 3000 ft pounds torque. :thumbsup:

IMG_0162.JPG

/ Good Impact Wrench for Working on Tractors #24  
Some torque wrenches are rated only for right tightens, not loosens. Well at least I thought I read that somewhere. This article disputes my myth. Torque Wrench Myths - Circle Track Magazine
Some clickers are for right hand only. They wont click in the other direction. Not too useful for a lefthand thread. ... Mine works both ways.

/ Good Impact Wrench for Working on Tractors #25  
I have the larger of the 2 Milwaukee Fuel 1/2" drives and love it. I first tried it on some rusty 1/2" plow share bolts and quickly snapped every one off just like I hoped so I wouldn't need to get out my torch or grinder. It is heavy. My BIL has 2 DeWalts lithium a and doesn't carry them around anymore - he says they are worthless. I may also buy the smaller Milwaukee for use in tighter spots I can't get to with this one. Forget low power setting unless doing something like tightening wheels where you come after with a hand torque wrench.

/ Good Impact Wrench for Working on Tractors #26  
I have multiple 3/4" pneumatic impacts that I'd like to sell. One piece of advise, you have to have a 1/2" air hose and couplings in order to get the full potential. And they are heavy, but when you need to break over the bolts on a big bushhog, they are great.

/ Good Impact Wrench for Working on Tractors #27  
I have multiple 3/4" pneumatic impacts that I'd like to sell. One piece of advise, you have to have a 1/2" air hose and couplings in order to get the full potential. And they are heavy, but when you need to break over the bolts on a big bushhog, they are great.

I've noticed that even my 1/2 Aircat doesn't like smaller air lines so I have it set up with 1/2" hose and the largest (flow) Milton quick disconnect fittings I could find.

/ Good Impact Wrench for Working on Tractors #28  

I've noticed that even my 1/2 Aircat doesn't like smaller air lines so I have it set up with 1/2" hose and the largest (flow) Milton quick disconnect fittings I could find.

/ Good Impact Wrench for Working on Tractors #29  

That is true.

The 1.5" impact I showed, really should have a .75" air hose.

You can "get away" with the smaller hose, if it's reasonably short, by using higher pressure.

The pressure helps make up for the lack of volume. The huge draw from the tool, causes the pressure to drop significantly in the hose, getting it near the rated pressure.

I have tested 1" and 1.5" impacts on a Skidmore torque tester, and they do well that way.

A 3/4" impact can work fine on a 3/8 hose, using the same principal.

If you are one of those guys that uses full line pressure all the time, (I do), this really doesn't help you.

/ Good Impact Wrench for Working on Tractors #30  
Question for you professional mechanic guys: what pressure do you consider normal line pressure? My nailers and spray guns specify working inlet pressure, but not my 1/2" impact wrench. I usually run it a around 100psi.