Good morning!!!!

/ Good morning!!!! #15,501  
good afternoon all. 36F and cloudy this morning currently 49F and a forecast high of 48F :) clipper winds still here. washing on the front wall and wind makes it feel cold :(

/ Good morning!!!! #15,502  
David Good luck on your review

/ Good morning!!!! #15,503  
The July 29, 1967, incident occurred while the ship was in the Gulf of Tonkin during the Vietnam War. Stray voltage triggered a rocket to launch from an F-4 Phantom on the flight deck, ultimately striking an armed A-4 Skyhawk piloted by then-Lt. Cmdr. John S. McCain III, who would later spend five years as a POW, serve in the U.S. Senate and run for president. A chain reaction of fires and explosions ensued, causing a day-long fire aboard the ship痴 deck, which was packed with planes. In addition to the deaths and injuries, 21 aircraft were damaged. The incident prompted changes within the Navy to damage control and disaster response training, as most of the sailors who were trained as firefighters were reportedly killed during the initial blast, forcing the remaining crew to improvise its rescue efforts.[/I]

Back when I was serving on the USS Saipan, they used this film to show what could happen if you didn't pay attention during Fire Fighting Training. During my training we had to go into spaces with fuel oil fires burning in the bilges. Also had to shore up broken pipes in neck deep water. Both of which is scary. But when you are on a ship, there is no place to run from a fire or a flood. You just have to stand in there and fight it.

Larro

/ Good morning!!!! #15,504  
Larro, that's pretty scary alright. Fire fighting in a tee shirt while stuff is shooting into the air around you :eek: Thanks for sharing.

/ Good morning!!!! #15,505  
Larro, that's pretty scary alright. Fire fighting in a tee shirt while stuff is shooting into the air around you :eek: Thanks for sharing.

When one goes to Navy fire fighting school (and every ship bound sailor is required to go), one goes through several different scenarios that simulate a ship's compartments (rooms, to you land lubbers).
One of my favorite was when the team goes in to a compartment and, after extinguishing the fire (diesel fuel atop water), the trainers light it off again...between the team and the only door...
That's a thrill!

The video Larro posted is the PLATS (Pilot's Takeoff and Landing System) cameras mounted on the island structure. Every carrier has one and every flight op is filmed. Although the video quality wasn't good, that was (in 1967) about the best one would get.

/ Good morning!!!! #15,506  
One of my favorite was when the team goes in to a compartment and, after extinguishing the fire (diesel fuel atop water), the trainers light it off again...between the team and the only door...
That's a thrill!

Roy, it also got your attention when they turned off the mist hose to let you feel how hot the fire really is. It is amazing how good an umbrella of water is at shielding you from the heat.

Larro

/ Good morning!!!! #15,508  
I forgot to say good evening. So, Good Evening. 1935, 59* with 83% humidity. Low tonight is forecast as 46* with no chance of rain. High's tomorrow and Saturday are supposed to be in the mid 60's with tomorrow night's low down to 41*. I had better go put a blanket in my shooting house tomorrow if I hope to sit still for Opening Day of the bow season.

Larro