Good morning!!!!

/ Good morning!!!! #184,151  
Screenshot_20240117_081643.png

Spoke too soon. Electric went out this morning. Just came back on about half an hour ago. Quickly made coffee and enjoying "the crispness" of the morning. Not much change from yesterday--Still under a hard freeze warning. Heater is just catching up as I type this.

I'm on coffee break. ☃️

/ Good morning!!!! #184,152  
Costs are so variable by location. Not far away, we built a 5,000+ sq ft residence in Northern Nevada for a permit fee of $3,000.

The bigger issue in CA was the County demanded a $155,000 road improvement or they would not issue a permit. So, nearly $200k in admin fees *before* you start building. The new law strips the County's power to impose such requirements. For small residences.

Weather should clear up by daybreak. Ground will be wet, but we will enjoy walking the property and forest today! Hope everyone stays warm-- seems most of the country is in a deep freeze!!
Neighbor added an full on MIL apt for his son onto his house. Fees were 30k :oops:
That's out of control like so much else here. The average used car registration seems to be 400 - 500.00/ The same car is $1k annual insurance. All that and you still have buy it, pay sales tax on it, and gas it up to go.

Last edited:
   / Good morning!!!! #184,153  
Good Morning!!!! An even 50F @ 6:45AM. Considerable cloudiness. High 58F. Winds SSE at 10 to 15 mph.

Just finished checking road conditions and weather for the trip south, and aside from a couple spots with wind warnings, everything else looks OK. Odd that those windy spots aren't mentioned by the WU forecasts for those areas. Earlier this morning there were a few gusts to 25 MPH, but they look to be settling down now. Lots of weight in the van and trailer should help to minimize wind impact, but I'd rather not have to contend with it.

The weather man was a little optimistic yesterday when s/he predicted rain at 10AM. I felt a drop or two, but it pretty much held off until 2PM. Good thing, too, as I found a whole bunch of stuff and got the van packed to the gills. Even got the tires checked on the van, trailer, and Toyota. The TPMS on the Toyota was signaling a low pressure condition on the last trip to town, and sure enough, it was 5 PSI low.

I set a 7AM departure time, so I better get goin'. Hope you all stay warm in safe in these crazy temps...

/ Good morning!!!! #184,154  
So far I have gotten a zoning variance and an exemption from the storm water ordinance. I represented myself, and created the drawings and other submission data. I’ve spent about $3k on fees and escrow (some of which I might get back) for the township solicitors and engineers to review my work. The good news is that I did get the approvals.

/ Good morning!!!! #184,155  
So far I have gotten a zoning variance and an exemption from the storm water ordinance. I represented myself, and created the drawings and other submission data. I’ve spent about $3k on fees and escrow (some of which I might get back) for the township solicitors and engineers to review my work. The good news is that I did get the approvals.
It's a shame there is so much interference from local government.

/ Good morning!!!! #184,156  
I find that fee incredibly high. What do they justify charging that much for, just revenue?
There is a political element and an economic element. I won't delve into the political element, obviously.

Regarding the economic element ... whoops ... that ties back to the political element. :LOL:

btw my budget to build a 1,000ft residence, here in CA, is $500k. It will be very close to that-- if we proceed. Not sure.

/ Good morning!!!! #184,158  
Good morning! Low of 24°, heading to a high of 47°. Wow!, but it will be short lived.... temps start cooling off a little bit towards the weekend.
Unfortunately, the wind advisory has been issued...
25-35 mph with gusts to 55 mph.

LFN, hope you can find the short. Those intermittent ones are a real PIA. At least the blower will turn on.

Don, I can't believe that we are warmer than you in Texas. Strange weather patterns. Now, if we could just get more rain......

Plowhog, I can't imagine having to pay fees like that! The biggest fee here is for a specific GIS survey of the property. All other permit fees (if there are any) usually total less than $1K.

RNG, good luck on the trip south, good luck getting everything unloaded! Getting the workout for sure! Slow and steady.....
How long does the trip take when loaded?

Drew, did you ever consider a small pellet stove? Not too expensive or too difficult to install. No masonry stuff involved, all prefabbed chimney pipes and pass through connections. They are even made for boats!

Debating on trying to get some yard maintenance and watering done or to go back into the shop to work on the shelving project..... decisions, decisions......

Everyone have a great day!

/ Good morning!!!! #184,159  
It's a shame there is so much interference from local government.

In all fairness, they followed the existing ordinances, including the mechanisms for relief by exemption or variance. I don’t think that I was treated unfairly, but I agree that in simpler times the ordinances might not have existed.

/ Good morning!!!! #184,160  
69°F and 0 rain. Looks another pretty day ahead

Got the mowing finished yesterday for this round. Always looks nice at this point.

Thanks for the budget app comments. I too have the old files with data going back years. Not in same detail as Dennis but have found them useful from time to time. Think I have found 3 or 4 apps I need to check out further. All but 1 have a free trial period of 1-2 months. 1 also has a demo file. Need to determine a sensible approach as maintaining a full blown budget for each for a month or two sounds like work.

No plans for the day. Just take it as it comes.

Prayers for all
Be safe
Have a great day