Good quality asphalt driveway crack filler

/ Good quality asphalt driveway crack filler
Thanks!

Lowes has 50# blocks of rubber designed for filling cracks in driveways, especially larger cracks. and stays intact for a long time, years.

Simply get a turkey fryer and a Nesco sized pan, break down and melt the rubber to a good flowing temperature. and fill in the cracks using a pouring applicator designed for that. We sealed all large cracks in our 1200' driveway and maybe 1000 square feet of alligator type cracks 6 years ago for about $400 worth of rubber. $70 for a cooker, a used Nesco kettle and a $70 applicator kettle. Can't forget a weedburner for heating the road where tar will be applied.

My wife followed after me with a ice scraper to massage the tar into the fine cracks. After the cracks showed again we went over most cracks again a few weeks ago but it only took and 4 bricks of rubber. i like it.

A contractor did half the cracks across the driveway for $450 6 years ago is why we decided to try it ourselves. It took a day to go over it all again and touch it up nice. Takes a lot less rubber the second time around.

OK, so when I look for a hot tar 'applicator kettle' I mainly find the big trailers and heavy equipment. I assume you're referring to something handheld. Hate to be naive here, but what are you referring to with 'Nesco kettle' and 'applicator kettle'?

Thanks,
Rob

Ah, something like this would be the applicator 'kettle'?

Or this:

This one looks slick too. More expensive but would be a back saver.

Still not certain what to use for heating on the propane burner. Anyone have ideas on a heavy metal pot?

Rob

/ Good quality asphalt driveway crack filler #16  
A local neighbor has a short half moon asphalt driveway. His pot full of tar ignited. I think that's when the fun began.

I think I located everything I need for this. Thanks for the tips! Will be nice to have actual rubberized hot sealant to fill the cracks.

And for the "it shouldn't happen on a new driveway" folks:

This is three lateral cracks on a 600' driveway of 3" asphalt overlay on top of the old asphalt. We had over a week of -25*F low temps recently that contracted things enough to cause these cracks. They occurred in the narrow (10' wide) section of the driveway that is elevated above the surrounding terrain, where the cold was most easily able to affect it. It was expected to happen sooner than later.

Rob

/ Good quality asphalt driveway crack filler #18  
Thanks for explaining why you have cracks in a new paving job. Did they use geotextile under the top layer? Using one helps not to transmit stress from one asphalt layer to another, reducing cracking.

As an alternative to hot tar, there is this crack filler from Lowe's which you put in with a propane torch.

All the best,

Peter

/ Good quality asphalt driveway crack filler #19  
My driveway does the same thing, it gets really cold and it contracts and they open up.

Thanks for explaining why you have cracks in a new paving job. Did they use geotextile under the top layer? Using one helps not to transmit stress from one asphalt layer to another, reducing cracking.

As an alternative to hot tar, there is this crack filler from Lowe's which you put in with a propane torch.

All the best,

Peter

Thanks for the alternate idea. However, I have the equipment and supplies coming now that should allow me to do proper hot pour crack filling and last me for years. The torch-applied version looks quick & easy but I don't know if it would get into the cracks as well. Anyway, too late to change.

Rob