Good Samaritans

/ Good Samaritans #21  
Thank you for the story. I am glad there are still people out there like that.

My wife has horses and she often hauls them from here to there when I am not with her. We have a service from US Rider. It is like AAA but they will come get the horse trailer and horses as well as your truck if there is a problem. The will even help you find temporary lodging for the horses if needed. Its like $150/yr. AAA is $80 or so. She was going to have that anyway, so for an exta few bucks she gets help with the horses as well. Thankfully we have never had to use it.
I hope you never need to use US Rider. I read a story about a poor guy that needed to use it. It was useless. They did nothing to help other than call around to try and find someone in the area who might come help on a Sunday. The person that responded charged them hundreds of dollars and it took many hours. With a smart phone, they could have done the same. It wasn't like US Rider had a network of places that could help. They just collect premiums and call around trying to help if a customer gets in trouble. The person that responded wasn't going to hope some little company was going to reimburse him.

/ Good Samaritans #22  
It was 1982. We had sold our house in Anchorage and were moving down to this property in NE WA state. Had a new Chevy pu and a rented U-haul trailer. I was somewhat surprised that the rental trailer had no spare tire. Was told that too many accidents from folks attempting to change the spare tire. "Just call U-haul and they will come and change the spare".

So ....... half way between Haines Junction, AK and Haines, AK - a flat. This was before cell phones and I really doubt that a cell phone would have helped. 75 miles back to Haines Junction - 75 miles on to Haines.

Sat there for two hours and not a single vehicle. We were scheduled to meet the Alaska Marine Highway System( a ferry ) in Haines the next morning.

So ..... I just said "to Hell with it" and drove, slowly on into Haines. Got there in the middle of the night. The tire had long since left the rim and the rim was battered beyond belief.

The Good Samaritan appears. Were able to reach the owner of a local tire store. Got a new rim and tire. Made the ferry and then arrived in Seattle.

But the story continues. From Seattle to Omak, WA where my parents lived. Went to turn in the U-haul and they would not honor the tire/rim bill. Said - "you should have called us". After some rather blunt discussion - the bill was honored.

Most of our trips "outside" have been long forgotten. I will never forget this one.

/ Good Samaritans #23  
When I graduated from diesel college in the mid to late 80’s in Nashville, I told myself on the long ride home to SC that now that I have the knowledge, I’ll stop and help any motorist stuck on the highway..
Holy smokes was that a long 6 hr drive.!! Lol
I know there’s A LOT of folks who appreciated me that day.!!
In the business I’m in, I see them ALL THE TIME..
People who give me their worn out pump, when they buy new ones, so I can send small parts to customers at no charge or just the freight..
I had 1 fella this month that needed his pump back for a core.. his pump was going to be too expensive to build and parts were going to be 2-3 weeks out..
I told him the tear down and estimate were free but the freight back to him was going to be 18.00..
Most people would have rounded that up to 20.00..
Much to my surprise, I received a check in the mail for $75.00.!!!
I get that all the time..mail out a small part or gasket at NO CHARGE.. and a week later, get a check for $20.00..
So I KNOW they are still out there.. and I’m proud to be one.!!

/ Good Samaritans
Most of our trips "outside" have been long forgotten. I will never forget this one.
I made close to a dozen trips over the passes from Sedro Woolley to Tonasket pulling a car hauler with the tools, tractor, vehicles, tractor implements and everything else involved in moving a hobby ranch. Only two of the trips will be remembered, the one with the horses, never forgotten, and one trip I had to take over Stevens Pass because of the fires near Winthrop. That one I was sitting at a stoplight in Monroe and got rear-ended by a guy texting while driving. No real damage to my trailer, but his SUV got a little dinged. But that one will likely fade in a few years.

/ Good Samaritans #25  
It was 1982. We had sold our house in Anchorage and were moving down to this property in NE WA state. Had a new Chevy pu and a rented U-haul trailer. I was somewhat surprised that the rental trailer had no spare tire. Was told that too many accidents from folks attempting to change the spare tire. "Just call U-haul and they will come and change the spare".

So ....... half way between Haines Junction, AK and Haines, AK - a flat. This was before cell phones and I really doubt that a cell phone would have helped. 75 miles back to Haines Junction - 75 miles on to Haines.

Sat there for two hours and not a single vehicle. We were scheduled to meet the Alaska Marine Highway System( a ferry ) in Haines the next morning.

So ..... I just said "to Hell with it" and drove, slowly on into Haines. Got there in the middle of the night. The tire had long since left the rim and the rim was battered beyond belief.

The Good Samaritan appears. Were able to reach the owner of a local tire store. Got a new rim and tire. Made the ferry and then arrived in Seattle.

But the story continues. From Seattle to Omak, WA where my parents lived. Went to turn in the U-haul and they would not honor the tire/rim bill. Said - "you should have called us". After some rather blunt discussion - the bill was honored.

When I rented Uhauls in the past I got in the habit of them checking tire pressures before I left their lot. A few were quite low. Jon

/ Good Samaritans #26  
An Atheist would have done the same. :)
Just say'en.