Goodbye Truck

/ Goodbye Truck #1  

Alan L.

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B2710
I've been involved in several discussions here about trucks and fuel prices. Last week I painfully traded my 2003 GMC pickup for a new Honda Accord. I drove the civic which is rated 30/40 but it was too small and too rough, so I chose the value pack accord for even less money than the civic. I commute 120 miles a day, and the gas was killing me and I figured it would go higher given all the stuff going on you know where.

First tank I got 34 mpg, but 2nd tank only 31. Compared to my truck the seat is hard, foot position is terrible and I feel like a puss. But it does have the airbags all the way around and has a decent ride.

Maybe I'll get used to it.

Fortunately I have my '94 F250 deisel 4 x 4 when I need a truck fix.

/ Goodbye Truck #2  
I know how you feel. I used to drive my truck to work ('99 Silverado) but actually stopped driving it in 2000 when I got married and inherited a '97 Accord. Money was tight and 32 MPG seemed a lot better than 20 - even at $1.30 gas. I'm still driving the Accord back and forth to work. I'm at almost 218k and still averaging about 32 - 33 MPG. Have had to spend a few $$ on it here lately, but still cheaper then a new/newer car. When I need a truck fix, I've still got the Silverado at home for weekend use. The wife usually drives it during the week as it does better on gas than our Trailblazer.:confused: I would like to get another 2 years out of the Accord (104 miles round trip 4 days a week) and then I'll look for something else - though not sure what yet (would love to have a Jetta TDI, but can't justify the cost for a commuter car).

BTW, I agree with you on the hard seats. My back hurt me for a couple of years when I first started driving the Accord. Now that the car is almost worn out, the seats are finally starting to break in enough so that you can sit in them comfortably.

/ Goodbye Truck #3  
Alan L. said:
Maybe I'll get used to it.
I do not think you will get used to it. :( But at the end of the month when you total your the fuel bill. You may have some money left over for the tractor and truck. :D

/ Goodbye Truck #4  
Alan

I think a lot of us are in your position. I've always owned full size trucks and cars. I commute 120 miles a day like you and I am facing the fact that I have to down size. When ever a friend comes by the farm and is driving something small, I say I've got to downsize then I get in their small car (if I can) then usually get right back out and think I'll just put it off a little longer.

How does it feel when your on the road with the other traffic?

/ Goodbye Truck #5  
My commute is only 70 miles a day but boy howdy - that monthly bill just keeps climbing. I've had thoughts of buying a fuel miser as well - but with only 41 months left to commute - I'm afraid the cost of buying wouldn't have time to realize the savings.

/ Goodbye Truck #6  
I am also considering getting rid of my truck ('03 F250) but at this point would have a problem trying to find someone to buy it! I try not to let in go below 3/4 of a tank so I don't get the big shock of refueling. I know I am still spending the same total but it makes me feel better!

/ Goodbye Truck #7  
I feel your pain :( I traded my 01 Dog diesel for a Civic back in 03. I hate the thing. But it gets 44 MPG in the summer, 34 MPG in the dead of winter. That is the only reason I keep it around. I enjoyed my 80 mile commute in my Dodge, but I didn't enjoy the fuel bill.

/ Goodbye Truck #8  
On my 4 generation of Hondas. If I don't get at least 44 MPG in summer and 42 MPG (snow tires) in the winter I am disappointed. I also expect and get at least 225K miles out of the Hondas. I figure that I get my money's worth out of the things.

/ Goodbye Truck #9  
I did the same in the spring of '05. So far 27,000 miles at 31 mpg (50/50 city/hwy) instead of 14 = 1,058 gallons saved @ $3 a gallon = $3,174:eek:

I got the 4cyl EX version with leather and sunroof - a steal at $22,000. With the exception of the veiw my truck offered, I much prefer driving the accord. I did find that the leather seats are significantly more confortable than the cloth ones when test driving.

/ Goodbye Truck #10  
Forgot to mention that I don't really miss the truck at all. If I can't fit it in my wife's SUV (Honda Pilot) - I get it delivered.

Even when I had the truck, I got mulch etc. delivered - I'd rather pay $30 delivery charge for 6 yards, than make 3-4 trips and have to shovel it myself...