Got a new Duromax XP10000EH Generator, propane question

/ Got a new Duromax XP10000EH Generator, propane question #11  
It runs on liquid propane vapor, not pure liquid propane. I have huge 130KW units that start to require liquid fuel on propane, not a 10kw.

/ Got a new Duromax XP10000EH Generator, propane question #12  
I am thinking that a 100gal tank should last me about three days.

Tim
I'm thinking that a 100 pound tank won't be big enough...

SR

/ Got a new Duromax XP10000EH Generator, propane question #13  
Hey all, I was gifted a new DuroMax XP10000EH dual fuel generator. I would like to run this on propane. There is a note on the box that says it requires liquid propane. I believe there is a regulator on the generator that you just hook a hose to. My question is do I need a special tank with a liquid valve? Can I take a standard tank and just turn it upside down? I spoke to a propane guy (local distributor) the other day, he said he didn't think that a generator that size would need a a liquid feed. Also, I was reading through the instructions this morning and it said nothing about needing liquid propane.

Ok, assuming it does require Liquid propane, where can I get a tank? I am not really interested in a 250-500 gal tank, just something large enough to carry me through 2 or 3 days at 50% load. I am thinking that a 100gal tank should last me about three days.

Tim
The mfgr did a poor job explaining how to hook propane up and should not of mentioned "liquid" without farthar explination. Were you in Mn or Mi,it might be neccesary operating with liquid and I would go into detail on how but you are in Texas. Any regular 20-40-100 pound bottle will be fine down to 10F. You will get +/- 30 hours run time from a 100 pound bottle and about 6 hours from a 20 pound grill bottle. You will love propane because the unit can sit without running for 5 years then start like it would if being used every day. To prevent stalling below 32F, It's important to assure there's no moisture in bottle when it's filled. If you use a new bottle,I reccommend putting 1/2 oz fresh denatured alcohol in 20 pounder or 2 oz in a 100 pounder. If you choose a used bottle,purge it before adding alcohol. To purge bottle need's pressure. Stand bottle on it's head for 48 or more hours in a way that will alow cracking valve without repositioning bottle. Any moisture will drip to bottom and be blown out when valve is cracked. Mess up this next step and you will be s-o-o-r-r-y. Wear disposable rubber glove and make sure outlet is facing away from you and doesn't hit something and splash on you when valve is cracked for 4 or 5 secounds. If none or only a few drops of water is observed,close valve,set upright and have filled or put it into use. If more than an oz of water is observed,close vale when little or none continues coming out,leave it another 24 hours and repeat. In the last scenario bottle will benifit from eventually adding alcohol which can only be done while bottle is empty. You can use contents or waste as you choose. NEVER store bottle with valve open. Questions?
That takes care of propane. Gasoline and gas tank present their own set of problems with stale gas, condensation and rusting tank. Stored empty risks condensation and full risks bad gas. I would store filled with aviation fuel or non-ethenol plus stabalizer.

/ Got a new Duromax XP10000EH Generator, propane question
Last edited:
Per the manufactures web site 40# is about 8 hours,
so 9.2 gallons in a 40#er or just a bit over 1 gallon per hr.
Also a person needs to be aware of the effect of ambient temperature on the vaporization of the propane,
cold weather will drastically reduce the available vapor and that machine requires 3 psi vapor to it's regulator.
This desire for a generator is prompted by an unusual weather event last year here in Texas. We had about 4 days of extreme cold (hovered around zero for much of the time), wet, snowy weather last winter. During this time, we were some of the lucky ones in that we only suffered rolling blackouts, typically 2hrs off, 3hrs on.

A few years ago I tried to run a 80K btu propane heater in my shop on a 20LB tank. It would run fine for 30 minutes of so then the flame would go to nearly nothing as the tank pressure fell off. I don't know a whole lot about propane as I typically only use it for barbecuing. Could be wrong but it seems to me that if I ran liquid propane to the generator I would be less likely to experience the effects of pressure loss in the tank during extreme cold temperatures.

Tim

Great review, thanks for posting. Looks like this was written in 2019, Now that you have had it for a few years, what do you think of the generator?

Tim

/ Got a new Duromax XP10000EH Generator, propane question #17  
You cant just fuel off of liquid propane UNLESS the device is designed to run on liquid propane. Most are designed to run on propane vapor.

/ Got a new Duromax XP10000EH Generator, propane question #18  

Could be wrong but it seems to me that if I ran liquid propane to the generator I would be less likely to experience the effects of pressure loss in the tank during extreme cold temperatures.

Tim
It is a common issue for people with RV's who wake up to find that they have no heat and think something has broken. If the tanks are low (not out, 1/3 est.) and the temperature drops, the pressures do change significantly as the volume of air inside contracts and reduces the pressures even more. Then it works fine the next day as the temps rise and the sun shines on the tank. It frustrates people to hear 'change the tank' when there is clearly propane inside the existing one but it is usually an easy fix.

/ Got a new Duromax XP10000EH Generator, propane question #19  
Great review, thanks for posting. Looks like this was written in 2019, Now that you have had it for a few years, what do you think of the generator?

Tim
I bought it for my daughter. She ran it for a week non stop on two different occasions with no problems. They never test or service anything until they need to use it so it's anybody's guess if it will run when they need it. I do know the second time they ran it was a year after the first and it fired right up. No battery maintainer on it or anything. I suspect that little battery will be dead the next time they need it.

From my test results you will get about two days of non stop running on 300 pounds of LP. I think using gas will be much more cost effective but I don't know what LP sells for in your area.

/ Got a new Duromax XP10000EH Generator, propane question #20  
I bought it for my daughter. She ran it for a week non stop on two different occasions with no problems. They never test or service anything until they need to use it so it's anybody's guess if it will run when they need it. I do know the second time they ran it was a year after the first and it fired right up. No battery maintainer on it or anything. I suspect that little battery will be dead the next time they need it.

From my test results you will get about two days of non stop running on 300 pounds of LP. I think using gas will be much more cost effective but I don't know what LP sells for in your area.
Gas would probably be cheaper, but fouls up generators something fierce compared to propane. gasolne also provides a bit more power out of generator. the only gas generator i have is the briggs 6500 that i use on my property. 4 years old now, strictly non ethanol and starts by second pull every time.