Got a new Duromax XP10000EH Generator, propane question

/ Got a new Duromax XP10000EH Generator, propane question #31  
How bout detailed info on those batteries,some of us might be interested in buying them for lawn tractors or something.
I didn't document what battery it had but if memory serves me correctly it was just a 7 AH AGM. If I think aout it next time I'm at my daughter's house I will look at brand and type.

/ Got a new Duromax XP10000EH Generator, propane question #32  
Do batteries in lawn tractors die so frequently? I've had a tiny lawn-tractor battery from new in my 2013 Rokon and it's still going strong. The one in my 2016 Grillo also has no problems. Both often sit months without use and early in its life the Rokon would sit 11 months between uses.

Maybe it's a problem of parasitic drain for the safety switches or something? Those two machines only use it for the starter. When the key is off, the battery is electrically disconnected from everything.
Consider yourself lucky with the Grillo and Rokon batteries. Mine seem to last about 24 months, or less. I've been buying Interstate batteries at $50/each. That's gotten really 'old'.

/ Got a new Duromax XP10000EH Generator, propane question #33  
Yes,it's almost unheard of to get more than 3 years out of lawn mower batteries unless they are hooked to a maintainer from time to time and it has been proven that being on a quility maintainer dramaticly extends battery life. Short battery life come's up frequently and sitting unused is a common culprit.
I'm happy your batteries last a long time despite neglect but others are less fortunate and are always looking for ways to improve.
i had my Craftsman lawnmower for 15 years. I put battery number three (original and two replacements) in it about year 13 or so. Then I sold it because it needed a bunch of work and I wanted a zero turn. It was never on a maintainer of any sort. I would have to jump it in the spring to get it started first time. Let it run for an hour or so and it was good.

The battery on my generator is going on 8 years old. It is always on a maintainer. Fires up just fine.

The NH Boomer 24 is 5 years old. Has 700 hours on the clock. No maintainer, still on original battery from the factory.

/ Got a new Duromax XP10000EH Generator, propane question #34  
i had my Craftsman lawnmower for 15 years. I put battery number three (original and two replacements) in it about year 13 or so. Then I sold it because it needed a bunch of work and I wanted a zero turn. It was never on a maintainer of any sort. I would have to jump it in the spring to get it started first time. Let it run for an hour or so and it was good.

The battery on my generator is going on 8 years old. It is always on a maintainer. Fires up just fine.

The NH Boomer 24 is 5 years old. Has 700 hours on the clock. No maintainer, still on original battery from the factory.
That's great. Doesn't it feel good to have that kind of service? I keep my lead-acidy batteries on maintainers and they do well but nothing compared to yours. Dry cells are a different story. 37 years ago I recieved a gift box of batteries ranging from 9v,A,AA,AAA,D,C and some I can't recall. I've had to replace several devices,some multiple times but I just toss batteries that come in new device and install old batteries. During all those years only 1 D cell got weak and had to be replaced but I think that was only because I let flashlight sitting on the wood burning parlor heater for several weeks. Often wondered if they are still available because I'd love to buy and gift some but script is in Arabic or something I've never been able to decipher. Yea,there's exceptions but seem's only certain folks experience them.

/ Got a new Duromax XP10000EH Generator, propane question #35  
Consider yourself lucky with the Grillo and Rokon batteries. Mine seem to last about 24 months, or less. I've been buying Interstate batteries at $50/each. That's gotten really 'old'.
Yes same here , so a week ago after 3 years I pulled the batt on our JD f687 ztr which upon testing had lost its "ump" . So for first time ever I tried the old " possible " wives tale trick and put epsom salt and top of with distilled water . It took 24hrs on a 2amp trickle charge to charge from like 60 per cent dead according to trickle charger to full charge . Cut 2 acres with it yesterday , when done I hooked up the charger to it and it read full . Just playin games with it to see if I can get another year from it with the so called epsom salt trick .
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=epsom+salt+battery+reconditioning+mythbusters+

/ Got a new Duromax XP10000EH Generator, propane question #36  
There are so many wives tails out there. Not sure what to believe. I wonder if that battery would have charged the same without the salt.

/ Got a new Duromax XP10000EH Generator, propane question #37  
Hey all, I was gifted a new DuroMax XP10000EH dual fuel generator. I would like to run this on propane. There is a note on the box that says it requires liquid propane. I believe there is a regulator on the generator that you just hook a hose to. My question is do I need a special tank with a liquid valve? Can I take a standard tank and just turn it upside down? I spoke to a propane guy (local distributor) the other day, he said he didn't think that a generator that size would need a a liquid feed. Also, I was reading through the instructions this morning and it said nothing about needing liquid propane.

Ok, assuming it does require Liquid propane, where can I get a tank? I am not really interested in a 250-500 gal tank, just something large enough to carry me through 2 or 3 days at 50% load. I am thinking that a 100gal tank should last me about three days.

Tim
Okay, this is two years after Tim’s original post. Colorado Prepper here. We tested our Duromax XP10000EH With a 20 # propane bottle. The place where we fill our bottles puts 4.5 gallons in a 20 pounder. Right now the propane is running $4/gallon bottle fuel price. There is additional county sales tax on that. The generator ran about five hours on a 20 pounder before it was empty. If we ran our house on that, we’d be bankrupt in no time. We reduced our demand inside the house to the point where we could use a single Predator 2000/1600 W Super Quiet Generator (from Harbor Freight) that people usually have on their RVs and that generator runs between 8 and 10 hours on 1 gallon of gasoline. We live in a 100% off grid Homestead/Farm we built ourselves. The Duramax generator is excessively loud and if someone has an extreme demand and needs to use that generator for power, I would suggest you build a shed around it that’s heavily insulated and maybe even have a mechanic that builds super modified cars to add an exhaust onto that generator to reduce the noise level. We would prefer to use the Duramax and propane as it burns much cleaner in the power plant and would sustain the power plant much longer than filthy gasoline. We think we will have our mechanic friend that does super modifications figure out how to reduce the extreme fuel consumption on the Duramax because our demand is so very low. There has to be a way to do it. At 60 years old, I remember a time where we could super modify any power plant and make things however we wanted to and I see the younger generations that graduate high school that cannot even read and comprehend at a third grade level now. They simply cannot imagine modifying things to increase efficiency and customize according to specific needs and requirements. The computer age has really dumbed down our people.

/ Got a new Duromax XP10000EH Generator, propane question #38  
That is a lot of fuel for three days... Wowza. My 3500w Predator inverter runs about 12 hours per 2.3gal of gas. It's amazing

/ Got a new Duromax XP10000EH Generator, propane question #39  
Two suggestions;
1) use it at full load to charge a battery bank, and
2) switch to a different type of generator, either a diesel or an inverter

A gasoline/LP (spark ignition) generator has very limited ability to use less fuel under reduced loads unless you buy an eco mode type inverter generator that can throttle down. While it is possible that your LP carburetor is not properly adjusted, I would be surprised, though I would still check.

For any sort of resilience, I would suggest solar and batteries as a solution long before a generator.

All the best,

Peter

/ Got a new Duromax XP10000EH Generator, propane question #40  
Did it come setup to run on LP or on gas? It makes a huge difference.