Got asked to bid a very unusual project

/ Got asked to bid a very unusual project #381  
Hey Jon,

Uhhhh I don’t know, why do you ask?
How do you “close a thread”?

Do you want to close it?
I was thinking leave it open should the log removal get underway. 🤷‍♂️

listen this a project you actually bid or are you removing debris on time and material basis

/ Got asked to bid a very unusual project
I was asked to bid it along with several other more mundane property improvements, including trucking away a large log pile and rebuilding about 200’ of washed out trail.
Priorities of the Customer keep changing and we have to change with them.

Great customer

Last edited:
   / Got asked to bid a very unusual project #383  
I was asked to bid it along with several other more mundane property improvements, including trucking away a large log pile and rebuilding about 200’ of washed out trail.
Priorities of the Customer keep changing and we have to change with them.

Great customer
I imagine everytime their priorities change so does the price, it's nothing but good for your bottom line and bank account.

/ Got asked to bid a very unusual project #384  
Consider a compressed air wand/probe, maybe augmented by driven water, to surgically destabilize the sandbar/mucky base of the pile when you get down into the embedded parts.

/ Got asked to bid a very unusual project #385  
Consider a compressed air wand/probe, maybe augmented by driven water, to surgically destabilize the sandbar/mucky base of the pile when you get down into the embedded parts.
Good post. The first time I saw one of those in operation the operator was wearing what looked like a space suit. The blow back mud would cover him and they would periodically hose him off to cool him down and wash the mud off.

/ Got asked to bid a very unusual project #386  
Good post. The first time I saw one of those in operation the operator was wearing what looked like a space suit. [Snip]
Thanks! Ive never seen one - didnt even know they existed as a product. I conceived and made one years ago to clean the dirt off stumps. Even with my small 15 CFM air capacity it shows you the beauty of having the ability to wield a "soft bomb on a stick". With their availability as a product it is hard to understand why several of them backed by hundreds of compressor horsepower were not used to free the ship stuck in the Suez canal.

-- Course yould need the Hulk or Paul Bunyan to wield it! A human operating through a mechanical manipulation and feedback system could do it. Developing the servo system could be a bit expen$ive I guess.

Wouldnt need anything of such capacity on Hay Dudes project. Id say ~100+ CFM from a nozzle at the end of a 1/2 pipe used from a platform suspended under the bridge would be ample, and controllable downward. The compressor would stay on land. :ninja::cool:

/ Got asked to bid a very unusual project #387  
Thanks! Ive never seen one - didnt even know they existed as a product. I conceived and made one years ago to clean the dirt off stumps. Even with my small 15 CFM air capacity it shows you the beauty of having the ability to wield a "soft bomb on a stick". With their availability as a product it is hard to understand why several of them backed by hundreds of compressor horsepower were not used to free the ship stuck in the Suez canal.

-- Course yould need the Hulk or Paul Bunyan to wield it! A human operating through a mechanical manipulation and feedback system could do it. Developing the servo system could be a bit expen$ive I guess.

Wouldnt need anything of such capacity on Hay Dudes project. Id say ~100+ CFM from a nozzle at the end of a 1/2 pipe used from a platform suspended under the bridge would be ample, and controllable downward. The compressor would stay on land. :ninja::cool:
7.5 years ago, I was working on a vacuum excavation crew, doing soft digs on utilities, using compressed air, and the vac hose. Air full blast, probbing for an 8" gas main; in some mucky, wet ground, with mixed layers of hard pan. I got the air Lance clogged, and went to pull it out, without turning the air off. As I pull the 16 ft air Lance up, into the black, cold, water and muck, the clog releases; Drenching me head to toe in cold black much; and the white Ram 5500 vac truck. End of the day, I take the vac truck home; strip down to boxers on the porch and take a shower. Wife gets home; walks in the the door, and first words "please tell me that's not ****" :)

/ Got asked to bid a very unusual project #388  
7.5 years ago, I was working on a vacuum excavation crew, doing soft digs on utilities, using compressed air, and the vac hose. Air full blast, probbing for an 8" gas main; in some mucky, wet ground, with mixed layers of hard pan. I got the air Lance clogged, and went to pull it out, without turning the air off. As I pull the 16 ft air Lance up, into the black, cold, water and muck, the clog releases; Drenching me head to toe in cold black much; and the white Ram 5500 vac truck. End of the day, I take the vac truck home; strip down to boxers on the porch and take a shower. Wife gets home; walks in the the door, and first words "please tell me that's not ****" :)
:):D Thatll do it! To resist clogging the orifice can be placed at the root of a "U" shaped guard. The legs of the U will help prevent solid matter from jamming directly into the orifice and aid self clearing after each stroke. I did this on the one I made and it has never clogged. I can only guess the guard is the reason.