Got asked to bid a very unusual project

/ Got asked to bid a very unusual project #71  
I’m not sure I understand the concern about debris floating down stream. Weren’t they floating downstream when they got lodged where they are now?

Last edited:
  • Good Post
Reactions: JJT
   / Got asked to bid a very unusual project #72  
If it were me not having a clue about what the actual liability risks are here, I wouldn't bid until I had consulted with an attorney who knows this area of the law and was certain that I had the appropriate insurance protection. My suspicion is regular insurance won't cover this. I don't know if it requires maritime insurance, but once you start dealing with rivers, bridges, railroads, and insurance coverage the law gets very specialized. This isn't something to guess at and hope for the best.

/ Got asked to bid a very unusual project #73  
I get the general idea of why they want this done. My opinion is they think the log jamb is causing flooding but I’m betting it’s not. I think no matter what you do some is going downstream.

/ Got asked to bid a very unusual project #74  
I get the general idea of why they want this done. My opinion is they think the log jamb is causing flooding but I’m betting it’s not. I think no matter what you do some is going downstream.
Yep, I think it has more to do with someone’s view out of the window.

/ Got asked to bid a very unusual project
It certainly is. Theres another 5 bridge pylons on lowland next to the river, not shown in the picture, with massive log jams as well. Looks terrible and holds back water flow.

We had a historic flood here in late 2021 (500 year flood, record water level) and the log jams are still there.

An engineering company determined the log jams are causing water back-up.

Yep, I think it has more to do with someone’s view out of the window.

No.
The “window” you speak of is a window wall about 50’ high and 100’ wide. Its a window to a museum with extremely expensive artwork in it.

The last flood nearly destroyed the museum. Trust me when I say, this ain’t no house. This is a museum worth a lot of money that needs protection from future floods.

If it were me not having a clue about what the actual liability risks are here, I wouldn't bid until I had consulted with an attorney who knows this area of the law and was certain that I had the appropriate insurance protection. My suspicion is regular insurance won't cover this. I don't know if it requires maritime insurance, but once you start dealing with rivers, bridges, railroads, and insurance coverage the law gets very specialized. This isn't something to guess at and hope for the best.
True, but any contractor has that problem. Someone’s got to do it.

I’m not sure I understand the concern about debris floating down stream. Weren’t they fliating downstream when they got lodged where they are now?
Yes, but not all at once in a 100 ton pile of waterlogged trees.

/ Got asked to bid a very unusual project #79  
You can't work from the RR bridge. You can't reach it from shore. There are real dangers, and there are real liability issues. This job is a loser. I wouldn't touch it

/ Got asked to bid a very unusual project #80  
Did the engineering company also make recommendations on how to clear the log jams or did their report stop at determining the log jams are causing the back-up?

Also wonder if the RR or whomever looked into getting this cleared up, but either can't find a contractor or the quote is so much they're hoping it will just wash away in a flood?

I'm quite serious in saying once you get into navigable waterways and railroads, the law is very specialized and not something the average attorney will know much about.