Got my lights installed on the RTV...Thanks Bczoom

/ Got my lights installed on the RTV...Thanks Bczoom #11  
Rear view:
2 outward pointing work lights and a box light on top of the ROPS. The lights (and speakers) fold flat to the rear grate if needed for transport or box loading. (They don’t interfere with the box tilt). The side lights are set to swivel in all directions if/when needed.

Attachments

• 476570-MVC-631S.JPG
    476570-MVC-631S.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 243
   / Got my lights installed on the RTV...Thanks Bczoom #12  
Roof panel view:
Pointing inward into the cabin (mounted on rear of ROPS) is one of the Warn lights I was mentioning to Zeus. (The other is pointed into the cargo box).

On the left side of the roof panel are 2 panels of 5/each toggle switches. These are marine grade switches and panels that I used to control the lights and stuff. Except the 2 center front lights which are on 1 switch, each of the other lights are on their own switch so you only need to turn on the one(s) you need. One switch powers the amp for the stereo, another powers the 12v accessory plug I put in the roof panel for the spotlight.

Everything is fused and so far, no problems turning everything on (although I don’t do it for more than a couple minutes). Wonder if I should fill the cargo box with a bunch of 12V batteries??? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Pardon the view of the wires going to the front lights. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Ran out of time the other day when installing and didn’t have a chance to clean them up. Actually, what worked nicely for the front lights (since they’re mounted to the roof panel) was a 4-prong trailer wiring harness. That way, to remove the roof panel, I just unplug the harness and don’t have to do any un-wiring for the lights.

Attachments

• 476573-MVC-630S.JPG
    476573-MVC-630S.JPG
    38.3 KB · Views: 288
   / Got my lights installed on the RTV...Thanks Bczoom #13  
Flaps down and cleared for take off!

Very impressive - looks like you spent a good deal of time putting all this in.

Edit - looks like you also installed an interior light and a rear view mirror. Both these items are on my list as well.

/ Got my lights installed on the RTV...Thanks Bczoom #14  
Very well thought out and nice install Bczoom!!

I could live in that thing and run it around the clock with all the nice extras!!!

/ Got my lights installed on the RTV...Thanks Bczoom #15  
lloyd123 - Not sure if I'm now the plane or the runway. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Actually, my quad has quite a bit of lights as well. I once acted as the beacon for a lifeflight helicopter for an injured ATV rider in the middle of nowhere. I could probably get a 747 safely down with this thing /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Across the front, I made/installed a 3/4" utility bar so I could mount ATV made accessories (the stuff for the handlebars and racks). I have the rear-view mirror (which is automotive), GPS/cell phone/FRS radio holder, pistol mount, spot light... mounted to that. Some removed because of my kid, ie. the pistol).

Y2KF250PSD - Thanks for the compliment!! I got the machine months ago but have been taking my time putting stuff on it. Had a few "beverages" now and then which brings out some creativeness. So far, everything has worked nicely.

It does seem like we (the kids and I) never get off it. We have 5 quads. A couple have been ridden once since getting the RTV.

Hard to see in these pictures, but I've also replaced the OEM cargo box with one I made with pressure treated wood. I built in storage areas and I'm really sure that it can take significantly more abuse than the original. I do a lot of firewood and don't even hesitate throwing large chunks of wood at it.

I also have a large plastic box I slide in the back when needed that contains a battery, power invertor, plugs, ext. cord... so I can use AC powered stuff as well. Has come in handy for using AC stuff (e.g. a bush trimmer) around the place.

Hmmm, after I get the winch and winter tires on, not sure what else I can come up with. Maybe time for another machine (addition to, not replacement of the RTV)

/ Got my lights installed on the RTV...Thanks Bczoom
BCzoom,
Good gratious at all the lights. Do you have a generator in the bed /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif? They look great and should really light things up for you. Thanks for the picture of the roof panel. I was having a hard time picturing that. I'm like the others, it is evident of the time you have put into this. Thanks again for the lead on the lights.

Lloyd, the lights look good buddy. Let us know how they work out. They are probably a little brighter than these that I bought. Good work. GS

/ Got my lights installed on the RTV...Thanks Bczoom #17  
I saw your bed and was wondering how/why you did that. Interesting, I too am getting ready for the firewood season.

My wife actually helped haul two loads from the back woods to the house the other day. The only thing I had to do was stack it. Yippie.

I must say, I think you have the most customized RTV to date that I have seen.

My kids have RTV fever too. Did I mention, I have not diven ours yet? I am relegated to "the tractor".....

-Mike Z. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ Got my lights installed on the RTV...Thanks Bczoom #18  
Riptides,

Thanks (I think) for having the most customized RTV you've seen. I can't get anything from my dealer so I decided to make everything myself. (Did you see the split windshield?) Hope the machine doesn't look too much like it's been jerry rigged. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

When I first got my RTV, I wasn't sure about how well the OEM box would hold up against the wood I wanted to carry. I carry my wood in chunks and bring to the shed for splitting. It would not be unusual for me to carry 1500# at a time. I wasn't sure the metal sides (without a plastic bed liner) would be able to take the impacts of the wood nor was I sure that the sides wouldn't buckle near the back when carrying that much wood with the tailgate open. (I put in 3 ranks as high as I can stack, and stack over the tailgate). The plastic bed liner still isn't available at my dealer...
So... I took the metal sides off and made my own box. (picture attached). The picture shows it awhile ago, prior to building the tailgate (which is a 2x12 hinged to the back).

I did the full assembly of the box off the machine then mounted using lag bolts into the existing holes where the OEM box was mounted.

1/2" pressure treated floor.
2x4" pressure treated framing. (I should take pictures of the insides of the side panels where there's a 2x4 across the bottom with (3) 2x4 vertical supports).
5/4 decking material for the sides and top panels. The top panels lift off and there is storage in the sides.

I'm going to take it off and stain black before winter. Just didn't want to stain over new (wet) pressure treated wood.

I can take more pictures and send/post if you're interested in making one also. Let me know.

Attachments

• 476927-MVC-618small.jpg
    476927-MVC-618small.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 198
   / Got my lights installed on the RTV...Thanks Bczoom #19  
Zeus,
I throw a dozen car batteries in the bed and hook up in parallel to run all this stuff /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The roof panel came out easier and cheaper than I thought and you can put all kinds of stuff on/in it. I have the stereo, switches and 12V plug from the bottom and the stereo amp and all the wiring straped to the top (so it's not seen). You can see the schedule 40 pipe going up the back of the rear cage which is the feed wires from the battery.

I purchased a 4'x8' piece of 3/16" black PVC sheet and had them cut into 3 pieces (32"x48") which is the exact fit needed. (I now have 2 spare sheeets that I'll do something with). Using a heat gun, I melted/bent to the contour of the ROPS and mounted with (don't laugh guys), muffler clamps. The muffler clamps worked nicely in that they have the metal bracket that squeezes the pipe which allows for a flat mounting surface for the PVC sheet.

/ Got my lights installed on the RTV...Thanks Bczoom #20  
Just a side note here.
I'm off to Gainesville Ga for business. The RTV's are made at the Kubota plant in the same town. I contacted to see if I can get a tour of the plant as well as an inquiry as to whether they have an mfgr's outlet there where I can buy stuff.
No to both. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif