Buying Advice Got the itch for a new mower

/ Got the itch for a new mower #31  
How many people that claim ZTRs suck on hills were using a commercial grade ZTR with bar tires and were an experienced operator? I’m guessing not many of them.

/ Got the itch for a new mower #33  
. .. side note.. if you are not careful and don't alternate weekly where you turn the Zero turn..you will most certainly wear out spots in the grass from the tires.
Mow like a Zamboni dresses a hockey rink and you won't have that problem. Once around the perimeter then offset ovals.

/ Got the itch for a new mower #34  
How many people that claim ZTRs suck on hills were using a commercial grade ZTR with bar tires and were an experienced operator? I’m guessing not many of them.
Won't argue. Heavier, wider, and lower CG, commercial Z's will handle hills far better than a small guy. I knew that going in but I couldn't justify such a unit for my limited mowing needs. That is why I am using my tractor to terrace more of my property so my Z turn can do more. :D

/ Got the itch for a new mower #35  
Won't argue. Heavier, wider, and lower CG, commercial Z's will handle hills far better than a small guy. I knew that going in but I couldn't justify such a unit for my limited mowing needs. That is why I am using my tractor to terrace more of my property so my Z turn can do more. :D

You can say a tractor is more versatile. You can say a tractor is a better fit in inexperienced hands. You can say you just wanted a tractor and it’s your money so fine. You can say your wife feels more comfortable with one. And there’s plenty more excuses but those that make a blanket statement that ZTRs suck on hills are WRONG. And those that say a ZTR rides rough are only partly right. You can start by not putting 20 psi in the back tires. I’ve seen it done plenty of times. Then you can slow the ground speed to match the mowing time required by the tractor. Next for the more expensive options you can buy a Ferris and or get a suspension seat. Combine all the options and the only smoother option were be never getting off the couch.

/ Got the itch for a new mower #36  
I did not want to turn this thread into a ZT thread, but for those who says a ZT slides on hills, it would be interesting to know what type of machine to which you are referring to. My Scag Cheetah, 61" deck, 31hp kawi, is very stable on side hills and I mow hills that I would not even think of mowing with the BX.

My neighbor has a little Hustler ZT and he looks like a dirt track driver sliding around his yard.

/ Got the itch for a new mower #37  
I did not want to turn this thread into a ZT thread, but for those who says a ZT slides on hills, it would be interesting to know what type of machine to which you are referring to. My Scag Cheetah, 61" deck, 31hp kawi, is very stable on side hills and I mow hills that I would not even think of mowing with the BX.

My neighbor has a little Hustler ZT and he looks like a dirt track driver sliding around his yard.

My ZT is a Walker 48" GHS.. it's a $15k mower.. it's certainly commercial grade ...and it sucks side hilling. If you are going up and down hills..no problem..across them and if the grass is marginally wet.. it sucks. Some areas it mows there is no other options..you simply have to mow the same direction every time. You learn really quickly that if the back ends begins to slip out that you need to turn down hill asap.

/ Got the itch for a new mower #38  
I thought the original question was about deciding between a Deere and Kubota, then wondering if the BX Kubota would be hard on the lawn. I must have missed the part where there was a question about buying a Zero Turn machine. My glasses are getting old as well as my eyes, I guess.

/ Got the itch for a new mower #39  
I致e mowed verified 30 degrees hills on my zero turn. Maybe a rinky dink toy ZTR mower can稚 but a commercial ZTR will. I never took my B7200 across that same 30 degree hill. I知 not saying it痴 not possible but that hill is very close to the tipping point of a tractor. I値l mow again a BX with my Grasshopper any day and I値l mow faster, mow stepper sideways, and do as good in the mud if not beat you if you致e got turf tires.

As mentioned previously, I use a B1750HST, not a BX. I wouldn't buy any tractor without position control.

Furthermore, my 1750 is equipped with Z bar rear tires (not R-1s, R-4s or R-3s). It has compatible turfs on the front.

It will mow places where your ZTR will not, and do so with less turf damage. Not questioning mowing speed, and never have.

I also plow snow with the 1750.

The only dedicated mower that I am aware of that I believe might be used to mow some of the areas that I mow would be the F series Kubotas and similar FWD machines.

SDT

/ Got the itch for a new mower #40  
I thought the original question was about deciding between a Deere and Kubota, then wondering if the BX Kubota would be hard on the lawn. I must have missed the part where there was a question about buying a Zero Turn machine. My glasses are getting old as well as my eyes, I guess.

You are 100% correct. And the OP said he is not interested in a ZT. All fine.

However, misinformation regarding ZT performance mowing hills & slopes was posted, thus the "detour" to correct the record for anyone else following this thread, and deciding what kind of mower to purchase.

Ultimately, for the OP, either the JD or KB will work fine for mowing. It's really a matter of which rig he feels best with. I'm sure he will do some test drives as we get closer to spring, and hopefully lets us know what he chooses.