GPS recommendations

/ GPS recommendations #11  
Thanks for the info, Looks like a Garmin is the way to go. Traffic option seems to add almost 50% to the price, and from what I can tell from the write-ups still requires a "compatible" smart phone so in my case seems like a waste of money. Probably much more handy for commuters.

I notice Amazon lists a lot of refurb/used units. Good idea or not? I'm a bit skeptical about buying used...if it was working OK, why would someone get rid of it? I can't imagine new ones are all that much better than one only a few years old.

Also, is an outside antenna a good idea? I had one in my company truck at the last place I worked, and it seemed to take forever to lock on satellites thru the windshield...an external antenna was pretty much a must, but this would have been an early-mid 00s vintage unit, I would hope newer ones would be better.

I have 2 Garmin with traffic, neither requires a cell phone, data plan or any other extra connection or subscription. The traffic antenna is built into the Garmin power cord and the whole system ( both of them) work fine without any external antenna.

/ GPS recommendations #12  
I've had numerous GPS units over time. I get the units from Garmin you can load maps into like Topo or City Navigator. The current one I've had for many years a Garmin Montana 600. You can customize screens and even setup profiles for like straight line gps navigation or follow road navigation. The downsides is they are proud of these units and the mapping software.
If I'm out in the sticks and have the topo maps loaded I can switch maps for interesting places like this.
View attachment 668513

And you need a place to stay...

KC

BLOODY DICK CABIN.jpg

/ GPS recommendations #13  
i have a Garmin 61... use it nearly every day for business. only way to go.

/ GPS recommendations #16  
Plus on a Garmin with lifetime mapping updates! With the Garmins, you can do a detour or find place to eat, sleep and find fuel. All a plus when traveling. Garmin also has there own refurbished outlet. Got the wife a Drive 5 version and was able to add a backup cam to it since her vehicle doesn't have one.

/ GPS recommendations #17  
Plus on a Garmin with lifetime mapping updates! With the Garmins, you can do a detour or find place to eat, sleep and find fuel. All a plus when traveling. Garmin also has there own refurbished outlet. Got the wife a Drive 5 version and was able to add a backup cam to it since her vehicle doesn't have one.
mine you the updates take 3 hours. my garmin has been updating for last 1.5 hours...not quite 50%

/ GPS recommendations #18  
mine you the updates take 3 hours. my garmin has been updating for last 1.5 hours...not quite 50%

On DSL updates were an overnight event. Here on Charter Internet it takes an hour or a bit more. But updating is a chore that does require a bit of planning so it is not a huge inconvenience.

/ GPS recommendations #19  
Another vote for Garmin with lifetime map updates and live traffic updates. I bought the largest screen model I could get and love it. They have lots of features and do takes some getting used to, so I found the best way to get comfortable with it is to use it a lot. I add a Saved Place every time I take a trip to a regular stop of mine, even if less than an hour away. I have dozens of stores, parks, camp sites, etc saved. Now when I'm out somewhere and want to hop to another point I use the Garmin. Even if I know of a better or preferred route I can take my route and let the Garmin recalculate. I love the shift to street view on mine, showing actual street level photos of complex exits and ramps as I approach, with arrows indicating the proper lanes to be in. Using it more often than needed makes it MUCH easier to use when I really need it, especially when it comes to searching or entering a new point or address. I've even packed it when traveling by air on business trips so I can use it in my rental cars at the destination city.

/ GPS recommendations #20  
All smart phones (at least, any current name brand one) have GPS circuitry built in. Cell service IS NOT needed for the cell phone to function as a GPS unit.

The vast majority of folks using smart phones for navigation are using Google Maps or Apple. Neither work in real time without cell service.