GPS recommendations

/ GPS recommendations #21  
If you have cell service when you start a trip and then lose it, the navigation will continue. The picture will lose all the detail, just a line for the road you are on, but the directions will continue.

/ GPS recommendations #22  
If you have cell service when you start a trip and then lose it, the navigation will continue. The picture will lose all the detail, just a line for the road you are on, but the directions will continue.

That sounds too much like listening to my wife.

/ GPS recommendations #24  

Many years ago I decided to try using GPS on my cell for the first time, rather than my usual paper mapping for my trip. It was working pretty slick and I was proud of myself for embracing new technology. Then, within a few miles of an unfamiliar area that I planned to rely on the GPS the most for exits and interchanges, I drove under into a weather front that was completely overcast and raining. My phone screen locked up and had the "searching for signal" type message. I panicked and focused on the phone trying to get it to recover while I missed my exit, adding about half an hour to my trip. Phones have improved a lot since then. :)

/ GPS recommendations #25  
My last Garmin (don't remember what model) came with 1free map update. It got us lost to the tune of a couple hours on two different occasions. When I went to cash in the update it didn't have enough built in memory and I had to add an SD card. Not that big of a deal but just saying.

I think it's still buried in the center console of the wife's car.

/ GPS recommendations #26  
I use my cell phone and the app Here WeGo. It used to be called Here maps. You do not need a cell signal to start a route and I find the maps to be more accurate in our rural area of Maine than the other alternative apps I tried. If you are going to a place where cell service is spotty, you can download maps for a state, a region, or the entire country to the phone ahead of time. I bought a wire to connect my phone to the power in the car, either USB or cig lighter depending on the car. Then I bought a small gismo that hooks onto the air vent fins to hold the phone at a level I can see at a glance. Turn the brightness up on the phone and you are ready to go. You may need to add a memory chip to the phone if you want to preload a lot of maps. As a bonus, you can use the same phone to provide your favorite music, take pictures, etc.

/ GPS recommendations #27  
Garmin is the way to go. With lifetime map updates. I have Garmin in the Taco Wagon( 2018 Ram Power Wagon ), on my motorcycle ( BMW R1200 GSA) and one hand held. The hand held is for when we strike out into the bush.

The principle use for the two in my vehicles. Gives advance verbal notice of upcoming road(s) where I will have to make a turn off the beaten path.

I've had my hand held for over 14 years now. Still on the OEM battery - still functioning as well as brand new. BTW - I've successfully installed numerous software upgrades on this handheld. The handheld has had 14 years in my adventures with Geocaching.

/ GPS recommendations #28  
We still keep a atlas in our vehicles. The gps is good but it’s not perfect.

/ GPS recommendations #29  
We do too. Sometimes you just need to see the big picture. It’s not unheard of to program a particular waypoint in a route specifically to guarantee a certain way of getting from point A to B.

/ GPS recommendations #30  
Wife's been bugging me to do a road trip, we're figuring on taking it next year and I was considering getting a GPS. Usually I just go with a road atlas (and still plan to use that over the big picture) but they don't show much detail beyond the state/federal highways.
I've seen off brand ones on Amazon for fairly cheap money? Any experience with these? How do they compare to a Garmin? Don't want to spend a lot on something that we probably won't use that much, but also want something that's gonna work.

I don't have (or want) a smart phone, so that option is off the table.

Trust me, at any price there are few GPSs better than this 7" refurbished Garmin for $110. I own two. I also own a $700 Garmin Zumo 595. Much happier with the DriveSmart 61 NA LMT-S. The 595 does some motorcycle things the 61 does not but that is all. The 61 will update itself if you connect to WiFi.

Price good through September 6, 2020.

Garmin DriveSmart 61 NA LMT-S 6.95" Refurbished GPS w/ 1 Year Warranty