GPS recommendations

/ GPS recommendations #51  
I'm probably the only one that prefers a Tom Tom GPS. I had an older Tom Tom and bought a Garmin to replace it but I didn't like the way it operated or the screen layout compared to the Tom Tom. I sold the Garmin and bought another newer and updated Tom Tom.

With all that being said I now use my phone for directions whenever I travel. Several years ago I was in uptown Atlanta and the buildings blocked the GPS signal making it pretty much useless. I still have the Tom Tom behind the seat though.

/ GPS recommendations #52  
Garmin speed limit info is miles ahead of Google Maps. Miles.

I took a 1 hour trip over the weekend, and decided to use my phone with Google Maps instead of my Garmin. First I noticed Google Maps has drastically improved from when I used it heavily in the past, as far as instructions and timing, etc. But then I realized how bad the speed limit info was and how much I missed the constant and nearly perfect speed limit posted on Garmin. On Google, zones were off quite a bit, showing me inaccurate speed limit info compared to what was posted. But the bigger issue was that over half of my trip, both ways ( I took different routes each way), there was no speed limit posted on Google Maps. Garmin wins that easily.

/ GPS recommendations #53  
We still keep a atlas in our vehicles. The gps is good but itç—´ not perfect.
And the atlas is far from perfect.
But at least with a paper map you have fuel for a fire or can wipe your butt with it. Just try that with your digital device! :)

<snip>
As far as using a GPS to take me places, as others have mentioned, make sure you check it with a map before you start out!!
David from jax
You need to check critical places with the most recent imagery possible, preferably a drone flight the same day :)
Garmin issues updates to their automotive GPS units generally about 2x a year. If you do not update your GPS with the latest Garmin update then of course your information may be wrong. Also - it depends on how good and how timely the information is that is provided to Garmin for their updates.

Any GPS information needs to be taken with a grain of salt - use your head! There is a reservoir in our area that was built about 1972 that flooded a road that used to be there. So, nearly 50 years later there are GPS maps that still show that road...running through the reservoir. Good luck with that! I read occasional news reports of people driving into lakes while following their GPS and that's why. If I plug my address into Google Maps it centers on a location a good mile from where I actually live. Garbage in - garbage out applies.

In spite of all its faults, now that I've used GPS I'll never be without it. The good of the technology outweighs the bad.
Exactly.

I worked for the US Army mapping agency for 37 years as a scientist. Don't rely solely on maps. When the Corps of Engineers built the last great project, the Tennessee-Tombigbee Waterway in 1984, they sliced through this area and cut a lot of roads. Up to a few years ago many maps and GPS programs would route people down our road to drive to where they thought they were going to cross the river but it ends in Beaver Lake.
But thanks to the satellite program and Google Earth you can see most places, often only a few years old.

/ GPS recommendations
But then I realized how bad the speed limit info was and how much I missed the constant and nearly perfect speed limit posted on Garmin. On Google, zones were off quite a bit, showing me inaccurate speed limit info compared to what was posted.

I was surprised at how accurate speed limit notifications were when I got my Garmin...usually within 10-15'. There are the occasional speed limit signs it doesn't know about, but they're few and far between.

/ GPS recommendations #55  
Ya, it is weird. Mine changes almost right after sign

/ GPS recommendations #56  
I know a road where Garmin speed limits are way off. To Garmin's credit the signs are not consistent north/south. I've been too lazy to take geotagged photos to send in.