Box Scraper Grading Scraper - Teeth or no Teeth?

/ Grading Scraper - Teeth or no Teeth? #1  

TheFarmerInAdell

Gold Member
Tractor
Massey Ferguson 2706E, Massey Ferguson GC1705
I have a 500ft gravel driveway to maintain. Using a SCUT (M-F GC1705) and the box scraper is just too big. We are going to switch to a grading scraper, but we would like to know if the teeth are actually useful. The driveway has been neglected over the years and has some decent sized potholes. When I had a bigger tractor there I tried to use the teeth on the box scraper but they didn't seem to dig in at all (likely I was doing something wrong). Are the teeth useful on a grading scraper? Are they worth the extra $$? The gravel is hard packed limestone, or maybe trafficbond (I can't remember what was put down, it was 20 years ago...). Advice is appreciated.

/ Grading Scraper - Teeth or no Teeth? #2  
Teeth are good on loosening hard pack and allows the blade more bite. Basically helps you take down humps quicker than without. Weight is your friend- if your machine is too small you will take longer to get it done.

/ Grading Scraper - Teeth or no Teeth? #3  
Hi Farmer - I have a Land Pride GS2584 - LPGS - 84" - 796 pounds. It has scarifiers - very handy for when I tear up and rebuild old mud puddles in my mile long gravel driveway.

My driveway is a combination of gravel, sand, volcanic ash with a dash of clay. When it dries out after the spring rains - it might as well be concrete.

Many times I will use the scarifier teeth on my roll-over-box-blade rather than on the LPGS. Both weigh about the same but the ROBB is only 72" wide = more downforce on fewer scarifier teeth.

In the dead heat of the summer my driveway surface can be a real PITA to penetrate.

View attachment 574042View attachment 574043 Both of these units have scarifier teeth - only the LPGS are visable - the teeth on the ROBB are rotated back out of sight.

I CAN NOT run either implement down my driveway with the scarifier teeth full down. The driveway is just too hard packed. You have to do it in stages. Scarf up an inch or so at one pass - then an inch lower - and so on.

Teeth are just about the only way to go unless you have a big 'ol rototiller or something like that.

I don't want to hear any snickering either - long ago - long before the LPGS or ROBB - I would use my Troy Bilt Horse to rough up mud puddles prior to bringing in more gravel to patch them. Neighbor caught me one year - thought I'd lost what few marbles I had and was planning on a garden in the middle of the driveway.

You use what you got to the best of your ability.

/ Grading Scraper - Teeth or no Teeth?
I CAN NOT run either implement down my driveway with the scarifier teeth full down. The driveway is just too hard packed. You have to do it in stages. Scarf up an inch or so at one pass - then an inch lower - and so on.

I knew I was doing something wrong. :duh:

I guess I'll go for the teeth. Better to have them and not need them, than need them and not have them.