Grapple DIY

/ Grapple DIY #1  

downsizingnow48

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota B21
There are many commercial grapples available. I decided to make one partly because I like to make stuff, partly because I had the material laying around, and partly because I can make it exactly suited to the work I have in mind.

Photo 1: The main frame. The bottom rail is 3x3x1/4 tube. The top rail and sides are 2x4x1/4 tube. The side plates are flat bar 5x1/4. This makes a very stiff assembly. It is 52" wide. That includes 45" for the SSQA plus 3 1/2" on either side for the cylinders and hinges. I wanted it narrow for maneuverability.

Photo 2: Rather than make the SSQA adapter from scratch I used an adapter plate I got off ebay (rebar-monkey). It is nicely made.

Photo 3,4: I cut out the middle for visibility and used heavy expanded metal to keep sticks from poking back.

Photo 5,6,7,8: Making the top lid hinge tabs. The pivot point is behind the top rail to get a wide opening.

Photo 9: Test fit of hinge tabs. I want a full length top lid for raking.

Photo 10: Showing bottom tine mock-up. The angle is 15 degrees to provide good rollback at ground level. The tines are short (14") for maneuverability and leverage. They will have wedge/triangle gussets joining them together at the front.

Next week I should be able to get the bottom tines and top lid made up.

Attachments

• g1.jpg
    g1.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 802
  • g2.jpg
    g2.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 671
  • g3.jpg
    g3.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 547
  • g4.jpg
    g4.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 613
  • g5.jpg
    g5.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 787
  • g6.jpg
    g6.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 633
  • g7.jpg
    g7.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 684
  • g8.jpg
    g8.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 598
  • g11.jpg
    g11.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 616
  • g10.jpg
    g10.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 1,961
   / Grapple DIY #2  
Looks like a good start. Nice work. It also looks like you used a Haala quick attach plate. I used one of those plates on a converted pin on pallet fork last year. Well made and locks up tight on my Kubota FEL.

/ Grapple DIY #3  
Pat, you're earning my respect with every pic! That's a very interesting vertical bandsaw you have there. You make that?

/ Grapple DIY
Yes I made it. Couldn't justify the cost of a commercial bandsaw. And I had the handheld Dewalt laying around unused 95% of the time. As it turns out the homemade table is versatile and accurate, so I use it a lot. I did a write up, I think the title was just bandsaw table.

/ Grapple DIY #5  
:thumbsup: Subscribed.

/ Grapple DIY #7  
Lookin good Pat.

I built a tree spade few years ago. Left an opening in the plate like you have. Used it twice and then filled the hole. Allowed stuff to poke thru.

/ Grapple DIY #9  
Good thing I saved the cut out piece might have to weld it back in!
I used #9 expanded metal as a backing on the one I built ... and found out real quick that without support bars behind it, it tended to get bent up pretty quick.

/ Grapple DIY #10  
Subscribed also