Grapple DIY

/ Grapple DIY #12  
Yes I made it. Couldn't justify the cost of a commercial bandsaw. And I had the handheld Dewalt laying around unused 95% of the time. As it turns out the homemade table is versatile and accurate, so I use it a lot. I did a write up, I think the title was just bandsaw table.

Very well done!

/ Grapple DIY #14  
Yes I made it. Couldn't justify the cost of a commercial bandsaw. And I had the handheld Dewalt laying around unused 95% of the time. As it turns out the homemade table is versatile and accurate, so I use it a lot. I did a write up, I think the title was just bandsaw table.

Really like the bandsaw table and great job on the grapple, I looked up the bandsaw thread

here is a link for anyone wanting to check it out:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/build-yourself/322548-bandsaw-table.html?highlight=band+saw+table

Cool:thumbsup:

/ Grapple DIY
I appreciate the positive feedback on the homemade vertical bandsaw. I had no way of knowing whether it would be useful or if it would work at all. But it turned out fine. As a side note the DeWalt saw is truly excellent, no blade wander or flex or anything.

The Chief Operating Officer set out several house improvement projects that need to be done before a bunch of family visits from Labor Day through New Year's, so I am trying to get those out of the way early.

But I managed to carve out some time for the grapple project - making the lower tine gussets.

Photo 1,2: The 16 triangular gussets are 3/16 x 2 1/2 flat bar. The cutting jig looks wacky, but once it was set up, it took less than 10 minutes to make 16 identical long cuts.

Photo 3: Making the 16 short cuts. I have a hard time throwing away any piece of metal no matter how useless it might appear. In this case a piece of scrap was perfect for holding the gussets in the same position for 16 identical 45 degree cuts.

Photo 4: jig for tacking the gussets to the lower tines. Everything is held square and straight and tight.

Photo 5: Making the stretchers. They are 6 1/8". I measured the first one, then all the rest are cut identical using a stop block.

Photo 6: Test assembly. I think it will be easier, and turn out straighter, to make the lower tine assembly as shown, rather than weld everything piece by piece to the main frame.

In the middle of the week I will get to work on the upper lid assembly.

Attachments

• ga.jpg
    ga.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 339
  • gb.jpg
    gb.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 317
  • gc.jpg
    gc.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 266
  • gd.jpg
    gd.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 328
  • ge.jpg
    ge.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 323
  • gf.jpg
    gf.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 688
   / Grapple DIY #16  
Hi Richard, We have a palm tree nursery / farm. When digging trees we have been using a "Dyna-Digger" the majority of the time but it really is not the most efficient method as a Canary Island Date palm 10' - 12' has a very large base and root structure.
Forgive me if you have posted a story on this but I wanted to know if you have any pictures and / or build diagrams for the "Tree Spade" that you built? We desparetly need one but as I'm sure you know that the coast is outrageous for a new unit and the used ones are most often very damaged or are one dig away from falling into pieces.
I would appreciate any items that could be used for reference on a new build.
Thank you, Gene ODonnell

/ Grapple DIY #17  
Hi Richard, we have a palm tree nursery / farm. When digging trees we have been using a "Dyna-Digger the majority of the time but it really not the most efficient method as a Canary Island Date palm 10' - 12' has a very large base and root structure.
Forgive me if you have posted a story on this but I wanted to know if you have any pictures and / or build diagrams for the "Tree Spade" that you built? We desparetly need one but as I'm sure you know that the coast is outrageous for a new unit and the used ones are most often very damaged or are one dig away from falling into pieces.
I would appreciate any items that could be used for reference on a new build.
Thank you, Gene ODonnell

/ Grapple DIY #18  
Gene, I don't have a picture on my phone. Mine is a simple spade shape and works fine on small trees. You need a hydraulic multi spade unit. Yes, they are very expensive and hard to find in good condition. Sorry I couldn't be more help.

/ Grapple DIY
Took a break from house rehab projects to tack up the lower tines.

Photo 1 - Cannot have too many clamps.

Photo 2 - The design borrows from many who have posted here. In particular the spade shaped stiffeners from rswyan and the cross bars from k0ua. I am hoping this works good for uprooting undergrowth and ripping out surface roots.

With the lower tines in place I can start on the upper lid.

Attachments

• tines2.jpg
    tines2.jpg
    789.8 KB · Views: 392
  • tines4.jpg
    tines4.jpg
    783.7 KB · Views: 483
   / Grapple DIY #20  
Looks great. BTW, what are the sawhorse looking steel tables you're building the grapple on? I'd like to look in to getting some of those.