Grapple Grapple research and tentative conclusion what may be best for me; what do YOU think?

/ Grapple research and tentative conclusion what may be best for me; what do YOU think? #11  
That is from Gator Attachments (formally Markham Welding) How do I know?...because three of the pictures are mine! I sent them to Mellisa years ago.

The one you linked to does not look like any Markham/Gator grapple I've ever seen. It is a used clamshell. Did you mean to link to the other ebay item that RJJR posted? That one does look like a Markham/Gator.

Yes, I linked the wrong one...thanks for catching that:eek:

/ Grapple research and tentative conclusion what may be best for me; what do YOU think? #12  
I'd have a problem paying $3500 for a fel grapple. Maybe I'm just a bit tight.:eek: But....you could buy THREE of some other brands at that price...no?

I have a 48" markham/gator and have had some problems with it due to their Deere mounts and have bent the tines a bit.....no biggie on the tines. Still, (with my re-inforced mounts) it gets the job done pretty well.

I do think the lower grapple teeth could be about 1/3 shorter in lenth on this Markham design.....for CUT purposes. This would provide less weight and less leverage on the FEL....as well as more manuverablity and do a better job of "rooting" and grubbing the soil.....but still retain the ability to carry high-volume brushy loads.

I'm ok with what I have.....but an enterprising grapple-builder could slightly modify the markham gator affair to provide a "blend" between the old milonzi grapple and the markham - which would be the best of both worlds for CUT tractor grapples. (IMO) ;):thumbsup:

/ Grapple research and tentative conclusion what may be best for me; what do YOU think? #13  
I'm ok with what I have.....but an enterprising grapple-builder could slightly modify the markham gator affair to provide a "blend" between the old milonzi grapple and the markham - which would be the best of both worlds for CUT tractor grapples. (IMO) ;):thumbsup:

I agree. I like the slightly wider upper jaw on the Markham design and also that the upper jaw overlaps the lower a bit when closed. I also think the curved lower tines on the Millonzi are more useful than the straight bottom tines on the Markham/Gator. Shortening the bottom tines is an interesting idea but it would result in a slight net decrease in volume capacity. Maybe my Millonzi already has shorter lower tines, I've never measured. I presume the Gator fabricators are using CAD based design and some sort of automated steel cutting system so it really shouldn't be that difficult to make these types of modifications.

/ Grapple research and tentative conclusion what may be best for me; what do YOU think? #14  
I'm also researching a future grapple purchase, what's everyone's opinions on versetech? I have to agree with with the comments that you shouldn't typically need the ultra heavy duty 3K grapple....

/ Grapple research and tentative conclusion what may be best for me; what do YOU think? #15  
I have a Versatech on my 4540 Montana. It was used unmercifully by the PO who used it in a tree removal business after Katrina. Other than the tips of 3-4 tines being bent, it works great. And the way it's made it will hold small items, just not clamped. And his original 2006 invoice says it was $1600.
Not a great pic but you get the idea.

Attachments

• versatech.jpg
    versatech.jpg
    383.5 KB · Views: 776
   / Grapple research and tentative conclusion what may be best for me; what do YOU think? #16  
I have a Versatech on my 4540 Montana. It was used unmercifully by the PO who used it in a tree removal business after Katrina. Other than the tips of 3-4 tines being bent, it works great. And the way it's made it will hold small items, just not clamped. And his original 2006 invoice says it was $1600. I'll see about adding a pic of it.

Kool....thanks for the QUICK review! :)
Is it a single or double cylinder? 60, 66"??

/ Grapple research and tentative conclusion what may be best for me; what do YOU think? #17  
Double cylinder; one on each clamp. I haven't measured but probably a 66" if not bigger.

/ Grapple research and tentative conclusion what may be best for me; what do YOU think? #19  
If I bought this thumb grapple for my loader on my NH - TC -29 would I need to add more hydraulics and if so is that a big expense...Thanks
Tractor Grapple for skid steer or frontend loader | eBay

Others can answer that better than I can... but, yes you have to have hydraulics for the clamps but I THINK you can actually slave off of some of the FEL hydraulics. (Temporarily blocked due to reports of company closure) has some videos and I believe there is one on doing that. Go here... How To Video Demos - Implements & Attachments and look for "3rd function hydraulics". I'm blocked here at work so I can't check it but I think that will answer your question.

/ Grapple research and tentative conclusion what may be best for me; what do YOU think? #20  
If I bought this thumb grapple for my loader on my NH - TC -29 would I need to add more hydraulics and if so is that a big expense...Thanks
Tractor Grapple for skid steer or frontend loader | eBay

First, that is pretty expensive for a bucket grapple jaw. I think these usually can be had for around $300-400 on ebay.

Second, yes you will need hydraulic ports and controls. The simpliest set up is to use rear remotes. Rear remotes can be installed usually for about $400 for a kit and an afternoon of your labor or a few hours of dealer mechanic rates. If you have rear remotes already then you just need a pair of long 3/8 inch hydraulic lines, a pair of shorter hydraulic lines (from grapple to tractor torque bar) as well as 6 quick connects. That will cost you something around $200 over the internet or maybe $300 from a hydraulic shop.

A more expensive option is to put in a diverter valve ($600-700 kit) or electric over hydraulic kit ($900 or so) plus labor (3hrs) if you don't do it yourself.

I used rear remotes on my first tractor and a diverter valve on the second. Both work just fine. The electric over hydraulic is pricey but very nice. If you don't have rear remotes there is an advantage to getting a set as there are many other uses (topping lift for example) that you can benefit from.