Grapples. Whats the best tine spacing?

/ Grapples. Whats the best tine spacing? #1  

Hersheyfarm

Veteran Member
Probably going to go with stinger attachments grapple. They offer a 3”, 6”, and a 9” tine spacing. You guys with grapples what spacing is best. Do you find you tine too close or to far apart?

/ Grapples. Whats the best tine spacing? #2  
Why are you buying it? How will you use it? That's the questions which will likely determine what's best for YOU.

/ Grapples. Whats the best tine spacing?
For me it will be used on a svl75. Ill use it my woods, or maybe on a construction site. First on order will be cleanup after a pond build.

/ Grapples. Whats the best tine spacing? #4  
I’d lean more towards the closer spacing. My wide space one looses more trash out the bottom than I like.

/ Grapples. Whats the best tine spacing? #5  
I think mine are about 9", but we made a 12" plate which bolts on with 4 bolts, and we can pick up dirt. Leave it on 90% of the time, but can take off if wanting to pull roots. We like that we can push, level, dig, when the plate is on.

/ Grapples. Whats the best tine spacing? #6  
If you have huge brush maybe 12 inch, if small stuff maybe 6 inch... A lot of small stuff falls through my 12 inch spacing.... Might have to modify it and add a bar in between existing to be really effective.... Yes these are DIY brush forks but same concept, don't think I would go any wider than 6 inches if I had to do it over.... 3 inch would hold even smaller stuff...

DSC02207.JPG

Last edited:
   / Grapples. Whats the best tine spacing? #7  
I agree that it's really about purpose. I believe at one point EA was making a grapple where you could add bolt in tines to tighten the spacing if needed (Not sure if they still do). It really comes down to the level of detail your trying to clean up.

/ Grapples. Whats the best tine spacing? #8  
I have one with 5 inch spacing. If you pick up a pile with damp soil it will not sift.

The idea I could sift dirt with it was a bust. To do so I have to roll the grapple back and forth. Any loose debris escapes out of the top clamps.

/ Grapples. Whats the best tine spacing? #9  
I bought a WR long and at the time the dealer failed to mention I had options. It comes with 8" spacing. I could move large piles of debris, sod, etc. but rocks fell through that would still be an issue for a tiller and it wasn't that good at separating things. Built a removable unit that drops the spacing to 3" and now it is useful for picking up firewood and sifting reasonably large rock from soil. If you are moving logs and boulders or short on lift capacity maybe go wider, if you want finer screening go shorter. 12" would be pretty useless to me.

Attachments

• rock-bucket.jpg
    rock-bucket.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 72
   / Grapples. Whats the best tine spacing? #10  
Right now I have 12" spacing and lose a lot of the smaller stuff. Up here where its sandy soil and I'm scraping up a lot of brush, vines and limbs, 3" would be ideal. 6" would probably work down where you're at.