Grappling fun - A Picture Thread....

/ Grappling fun - A Picture Thread.... #1,351  
I would like to know if they would fit. I would have to get them from Middlebury I think. Almost a 3 hr ride each way to see. If I knew they would fit I could have them shipped. I would not have asked about the dimensions but you said it was just across the road. If it is any problem at all don't worry about it I will find another way.

The Frost Bite is manufactured in Europe. One of those small, little heard from countries. I forget which one but it starts with L. Eastern Europe I think. There is a tag on it stating the country. If it weren't down in the woods I would go look. I will tomorrow if it stops raining.

gg

/ Grappling fun - A Picture Thread.... #1,352  
GG, and crew at TBN,

Here's hopefully a pic of a Frostbite grapple - it looks from what I can see, once I posted the link below, and checked to make sure it was working; that there are front arm holes drilled to fit extension feet, like Igland provides on the GR-20. Whether the hole spacing and contour of the lower arms are the same as Igland's, and whether Frostbite can or does supply these optional parts I have no idea. I suppose one could buy the extension feet from an Igland US reseller and bolt them up to the Frostbite, BUT I'd want to know the'd fit before laying out $150 or more clams....

http://nebula.wsimg.com/e7a72d5ae91...15FC011954CB889C8&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

I can't find but one 'manufacturer'/distributor(?) of the Frostbite branded grapples, in ND, and their site says 'sale price' all the time, from what I've seen, of $1595 for the last year or more....

Hope this helps.....

Hey, GG, I just saw and read your post above. Here's a link to the ND site that sells the Frostbite. It includes their contact info/email etc. so they might be able to tell you if the feet are available for it. If not I can still contact my across the road neighbor to see what I can see. We're sorta rivals; him some tractor that's orange, but not a Kioti like mine- ya know what I mean?!:laughing:
I'm guessing you might do better finding out if the feet would fit via the distributor(s), 'cause the fitment is pretty specific and if there are variations in the metal's cut, etc. I'd hate to tell you yes they'd fit without knowing for sure - but if you can't find out from the links I've provided I'll go recon for ya!:thumbsup:

Contact Us

BTW, I bought my Igland GR-20 from Hendy, now Mtn. Valley Equipment in Rutland, and I see now they too are selling the Frostbite; they may have dropped Igland line, I don't know. Their main branch IS in Middlebury.

The country you're looking for is Lithuania, I believe?!
Stops raining- HA! That's funny!:laughing:

Last edited:
   / Grappling fun - A Picture Thread.... #1,353  
UPDATE:

Here's what I found out today as to the history of the GR-20 and similar log grapples.
Originally Franz Guard, (sp?) of Lithuania, made the GR-series of Grapples for Igland. Then Frost Bite came along, made in Astonia.
According to my source, the Frostbite have a few improvements, like 10 bronze bushings where the Igland has none. And, the Frostbite beefed up the Tee area where the cylinder attaches at the backside of the unit. And the QA plate is 8 mm vs. Igland's 6mm, which equates to a 50% increase in resistance to bending things like the QA plate.

Now don't get me wrong, the guy who told me the above also said my GR-20 made for/by Igland a number of years ago would probably last me a lifetime; and I keep it greased, and run it on my 40 HP Kioti Diesel, not a 100 HP monster 'real farm' tractor.

And as far as running the extension feet on either brand WITH a grab plate across the lower arms, it COULD be done, but it was pointed out to me that doing so would restrict the upper jaw from being able to clamp down on the log/rock, etc. one would want to hold securely in the jaws, UNLESS the log were large enough in diameter that the grab plate wouldn't be an issue as to getting a good clamp on the log in question.

So there it is, both brands are excellent, and Igland grapples are no longer available in the US at this time; so Frostbite is what you will find if looking for a 320# log grapple that has a opening height of 40-42 inches for around $1,500 ballpark.

Hope you find the above useful! :thumbsup:

/ Grappling fun - A Picture Thread.... #1,354  
... I also have the Igland model 4001 PTO driven winch and it too is amazing what it can haul, especially when a clamshell snatch block is attached to a nearby tree; it doubles the pulling force to 8,000#s!

A snatchblock attached to tree won't double your pulling force. You need to attach it to the load, run the cable through and attach the hook end back to your tractor or to a nearby tree.

/ Grappling fun - A Picture Thread.... #1,355  
I just received a Sundown GR40 grapple and I think I can add a little information here. The Sundown GR40 has a faceplate that states made in Lithuania by Igland. My guess is the GR40 is a re-branded Igland GR20.

For those interested, I measured the bolts that attach the foot extensions. I measured that the extensions add just over 5" in length. The bolts appear to be 5/8" bolts spaced apart 2.75" center to center.

I am waiting for my rock plate to come in but I have the extensions. I imagine both the extensions and rock plate could be mounted at the same time with longer bolts but I will not know if that makes sense until I have both and try things out. As far as the rock plate restricting the closing of the thumb on a log, I don't think that is going to be an issue. I don't know for sure, but if you examine videos of the grapple in use, it appears that the thumb is designed in such a way that it closes just inside the rock plate allowing for full movement of the thumb. But if you have a rock on the plate, the thumb will probably catch it and squeeze it between the thumb and plate.

/ Grappling fun - A Picture Thread.... #1,356  
Thank you both for the dimensions, Luke...... and sax........

Seemed like the Inland/Sundown extension teeth would fit my Frost Bite grapple so I mail ordered a set. The holes lined up good as expected but I had to do some very minor grinding to relieve some interference with the side piece of the Frost Bite jaw. The bolts they sent were also a tad short. Maybe the Frost Bite jaw is a little heavier - don't know.

FrostBite3.JPG

FrostBite4.JPG

gg

/ Grappling fun - A Picture Thread.... #1,360  
Here's a rock I picked up using my new Sundown GR40 grapple. I didn't even know the rock was there because it was covered with dirt but I went too deep trying to pull up a ground juniper. Next thing I knew, I had a big rock partially out of the ground and had to finish the job so I wouldn't have a rock sticking up. Now I have to get some fill to put in the hole!

My First Big Rock 1.jpgMy First Big Rock 2.jpg

Last edited: