Grappling fun - A Picture Thread....

/ Grappling fun - A Picture Thread.... #1,361  
Apparently there are some small dimensional differences between the Frostbite and Sundown GR40 Grapples. Here's a picture of my Sundown extensions mounted. The extensions are unmodified. It looks like the vertical side pieces of the fingers are slightly longer on the Frostbite than the Sundown. Hence the need to grind away a small portion of the extension to make up for that fact.

20170731_155656.jpg

/ Grappling fun - A Picture Thread.... #1,362  
Here's a rock I picked up using my new Sundown GR40 grapple. I didn't even know the rock was there because it was covered with dirt but I went too deep trying to pull up a ground juniper. Next thing I knew, I had a big rock partially out of the ground and had to finish the job so I wouldn't have a rock sticking up. Now I have to get some fill to put in the hole!

View attachment 517010View attachment 517011

Can't put my finger on it but something doesn't look right with your pictures.

/ Grappling fun - A Picture Thread.... #1,363  
I don't know why they are upside down in the thread. They are not that way on my computer and if I click on the small images in the thread, the enlarged images are right side up.

/ Grappling fun - A Picture Thread.... #1,365  
OK. I think I know why the thumbnails were upside down. They were taken with a smart phone. Apparently, when you take a picture, orientation information is stored with the picture in metadata. That metadata information is usually used by applications to determine how to display the picture right side up. However, some applications are not new/smart enough to do that. So, the orientation of the phone becomes important when a picture is taken. From what I gather, when Apple invented the IPhone, Apple decided that the phone should be oriented with the logo (top) of the camera up for portrait mode and to the left for landscape mode. However, many people like to hold the phone in landscape mode with the volume buttons on the top so they can use them to snap the picture just like an 'old fashioned' camera. But that puts the top of the phone to the right and stores the image upside down. Apparently, the web software that displays the thumbnails in the thread are not smart enough to look at the metadata to determine the correct orientation and so they display upside down. But the web software that enlarges the image when the thumbnail is clicked is smart so the enlarged image is displayed correctly. Not what I expected....

Here are the pictures corrected by flipping both horizontally and vertically.

My First Big Rock 1.jpgMy First Big Rock 2.jpg

Last edited:
   / Grappling fun - A Picture Thread.... #1,366  
OK. I think I know why the thumbnails were upside down. They were taken with a smart phone. Apparently, when you take a picture, orientation information is stored with the picture in metadata. That metadata information is usually used by applications to determine how to display the picture right side up. However, some applications are not new/smart enough to do that. So, the orientation of the phone becomes important when a picture is taken. From what I gather, when Apple invented the IPhone, Apple decided that the phone should be oriented with the logo (top) of the camera up for portrait mode and to the left for landscape mode. However, many people like to hold the phone in landscape mode with the volume buttons on the top so they can use them to snap the picture just like an 'old fashioned' camera. But that puts the top of the phone to the right and stores the image upside down. Apparently, the web software that displays the thumbnails in the thread are not smart enough to look at the metadata to determine the correct orientation and so they display upside down. But the web software that enlarges the image when the thumbnail is clicked is smart so the enlarged image is displayed correctly. Not what I expected....

That makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.

/ Grappling fun - A Picture Thread.... #1,367  
Hey Gordon can you do a video of your tractor using your grapple?

Since I have no camera man I set the camera on the wood splitter and pawed around in a log pile. Tried to do some basic stuff. In the last (4th) grab I was after those two pieces of popple underneath . As you can see I am still pretty tentative and a little jerky as I have very little time with this grapple so far. If this is not what you were looking for let me know and I will try something different.

Frost Bite Log Grapple - YouTube

gg

/ Grappling fun - A Picture Thread.... #1,368  
Since I have no camera man I set the camera on the wood splitter and pawed around in a log pile. Tried to do some basic stuff. In the last (4th) grab I was after those two pieces of popple underneath . As you can see I am still pretty tentative and a little jerky as I have very little time with this grapple so far. If this is not what you were looking for let me know and I will try something different.

Frost Bite Log Grapple - YouTube

gg

Thanks Gordon

/ Grappling fun - A Picture Thread.... #1,369  
A snatchblock attached to tree won't double your pulling force. You need to attach it to the load, run the cable through and attach the hook end back to your tractor or to a nearby tree.

My clamshell snatchblock comes with a nylon strap that wraps around a tree and connects to the pin of the snatchblock. The winch cable is placed on the pulley and the clamshell closes, The winch cable end with hook attaches to a choker chain at the load/log. The winch then pulls the log toward the snatchblock and then when situated correctly, one would remove the snatchblock and continue to reel in the log to the winch's 'backblade plate. Using a snatchblock is often to redirect the direction of the load/log, and in doing so doubles the pulling strength of the winch, to my understanding of how it works.

I am willing to entertain that my understanding could be faulty. I get your idea of routing the winch cable through the snatchblock and returning the hook end to the actual winch backblade area or in same plane, to a nearby tree, etc. to use 100' of cable doubled back for effective length of 50' from load point, but is that the only way one accomplishes doubling the pull force/strength? I'm always willing to learn where I may be mistaken or misinformed...

Thanks,

CM

BTW, to the poster who was questioning if the rockplate can be used in conjunction with the extension feet for log use in addition to rock clamping/grabbing; the US distributor for Igland Grapples and now for Frostbite, Windy Knoll, in NH, told me on the phone that using the rock plate restricts the jaws closing completely, and therefore will keep smaller logs from being properly clamped. So, rock plate on for rocks and large diameter logs, rock plate OFf for smaller logs....YMMV, but that's the source making the statement, and for my money what he says makes sense....:confused3:

Last edited:
   / Grappling fun - A Picture Thread.... #1,370  
if the block is attached to the pulled object it doubles the pull. if it is used to redirect the pull (around a corner) the pull is not doubled