Grappling fun - A Picture Thread....

/ Grappling fun - A Picture Thread.... #281  
I also think the flat bottom grapples are prob more versatile than the short bottom "root" grapples.

I would disagree and recommend a concave shaped bottom. I'm sure it depends on what the use is, but I prefer a "claw" to a "thumb". For instance, grappling a single log out of a pile, one doesn't always approach horizontally - I like the ability to pick up from the top -- or any angle.

/ Grappling fun - A Picture Thread.... #282  
Well, you do know they make a grapple built SPECIFICALLY for the BX series right? :D

Here's mine. Sure beats the heck out of doing this by hand. Surprised at what I've been able to do with it already and I'm still figuring it out.

Action shot.jpg

/ Grappling fun - A Picture Thread.... #283  
Couple more pics of it. One, I had just broke off the top 3rd of a downed oak tree and 2 snakes were nestled in the rotten part. I actually didn't notice one of them until I was tugging at that part with the grapple and had pinched it against the tree and it was trying to bite the grapple itself.

WP_20150425_021.JPGWP_20150331_002.JPG

/ Grappling fun - A Picture Thread.... #284  
Figure it costs 3k (grapple, 3rd function, etc), and you keep it 10 years: $300/yr is like 4 days rental around here.

But the reality is it's a force multiplier. If you take less time to do your work it's saving you effort or the expense of recovery from the labor. There was no waiting for me. Root grapple was as vital as diesel.

I agree though it is possible to get the grapple set up for less than 3K. If land clearing is anywhere on the top three tasks for an intended tractor purchase, it really really makes sense to make the grapple part of the original purchase decision. Adding a third function control is one way to control a grapple but rear remotes can be used just as efficiently and for a lot less money. I've used both. For a pro using a grapple hours every day I can see the slight advantage of third function (true third function not diverter) but for 90+% of the folks on TBN, rear remote controls would work perfectly well and save quite a bit of cash. It should be easy to get a new tractor set up with both grapple and rear remotes for under $2K which, for someone who is going to do land clearing, is a no brainer. The tractor in my avatar (Kioti CK20) had a single set of rear remotes and a $500 Millonzi 48" grapple. Grapple prices have gone up but that same grapple now works perfectly well on my 40hp tractor and has served me well for almost ten years. No reason to spend lots of dough on a high priced grapple.

/ Grappling fun - A Picture Thread.... #285  
Couple more pics of it. One, I had just broke off the top 3rd of a downed oak tree and 2 snakes were nestled in the rotten part. I actually didn't notice one of them until I was tugging at that part with the grapple and had pinched it against the tree and it was trying to bite the grapple itself.

View attachment 430301View attachment 430302

Can I have your barn/garage please? I'll PM you my shipping adress. I bet it's air-conditioned too!

/ Grappling fun - A Picture Thread.... #286  
Ya I haven't heard any horror stories on the titan and being half the price of the EA makes me wonder. I still have some time to figure out a few things

/ Grappling fun - A Picture Thread.... #287  
I was driving down a trail in the woods and I hit a small tree. It bent the left side of my grapple.

image-2564100794.jpg

/ Grappling fun - A Picture Thread.... #289  
Unless you're planning to fix it with that shotgun shell.

/ Grappling fun - A Picture Thread.... #290  
I tried to straighten it with a bottle jack, but the jack wouldn't pump on its side. Someday I will straighten it out and weld some thicker plate on it and the other side. I'm not worried about it. The grapple still works fine.