Grass Seed Is Idle.??....

/ Grass Seed Is Idle.??.... #1  

JDGreenGrass

Veteran Member
Tractor
John Deere 770
I used screened top soil (loam) to fill in some holes left from chipping out stumps. I then roughed up the surface and seeded and then lightly hand raked it in..

Trouble is it has been about 10 days and the seed is dormant. I don't think one seed has germinated.??:confused:

Tall fescue....haven't had any rain except for a soaking the day after I seeded.

It should be soo simple.!!!

What's going on here.??.......

/ Grass Seed Is Idle.??.... #2  
Give it time. I'm guessing the temps up your way have been on the cool side. That and no rain equals little to no growth.

/ Grass Seed Is Idle.??.... #4  
Yes..... wait a bit. It has been too cool.

I had two areas I tore up and seeded. When nothing happened in two weeks I tore it all up again....fetched some better soil and did it all again.

That's when I found out it has been too cold and the expected rules don't apply.

It is that patience thing that has always gotten me into trouble.

/ Grass Seed Is Idle.??....
Thanks for the replies.

We are getting a good soaking today with sunny, warm temps to follow.

Patience is the virtue I guess.

So....we wait.

/ Grass Seed Is Idle.??.... #6  
10 days is not long for most fescue seed. The soil temp is key and in Maine, I'd say it's still a little cool for germination. With some rain/moisture, I bet you see a lot of green shoots by next weekend.

/ Grass Seed Is Idle.??....
Geez, I never gave it a second thought:confused:.....Did I throw the seed down to early.??

We've had an early spring with warm temps...did I seed to early.?? I have mowed twice.

I'm in central Maine, btw.

/ Grass Seed Is Idle.??.... #8  
The spring takes twice as long as seeding in the fall to get germination.

/ Grass Seed Is Idle.??.... #9  
I'm having the same frustration. Looked at the calendar today, and it was 4 and half weeks ago that I seeded a good size area. Had some germination after a week. Then since, seems it has been real slow. Have been watering it daily, usually a bit mornings and evenings. But the temps are to push into the low 80's this weekend, so in goes the AC and maybe up comes the grass.
I've mowed the lawn about three times already. The dandelions had no trouble coming up early this year. :D

Some assurance here that I'm not alone, and not the only one a bit impatient. :) But I'm not going to tear it up. :eek:

/ Grass Seed Is Idle.??.... #10  
SID is right - spring takes a lot longer - the ground temperature is not as warm.

Sounds like you had just a small area, so my suggestion is to keep it watered and just wait. It will come along eventually.

For future reference, I have always been told that fall (late August) is the best time to plant grass seed here in the mid-west. The ground is the warmest it will get and we usually get a good amount of rain in September. If we don't get enough rain, it does need to be watered.

One trick I have used is to plant some oats along with the grass seed. The oats seems to sprout immediately and once you mow it off, it is pretty well gone.