/ Grasshopper ZTR flail mower #41  
WOW, still pretty expensive!

I guess my grasshoppers will never see one. lol

SR

/ Grasshopper ZTR flail mower #42  
WOW, still pretty expensive!

I guess my grasshoppers will never see one. lol

SR

I was actually talking to a buddy here in town. He runs 3 or 4 grasshopper mowers (2 crews) and has like 120 accounts in our little town. He does not own a rotary cutter or regular tractor but has turned down rough cut jobs...he just picked up our hospital that has some lots they want hit 2 times per year and he usually subs that out. I called him last night and told him about this flail. I think he's going to purchase one so he can service his clients. He was liking what I had to say....rough cut is a 1 man crew, no employees, no string trimmers, and no backpack blowers and can get paid by hour.....he was loving it. A guy like him will make his money back quick and it makes a lot of sense for him to have one.

/ Grasshopper ZTR flail mower
Aren't the ones that go on a GH, something like 8 thousand??

I always heard they were priced crazy...

SR
They're not cheap, by any means...

...but considering industry average and competition, they're a better deal.

A comparable Walker front mount will cost you $5k... and to put it simply, they suck.

A comparable TriMax will cost you $10k... and they only surpass in finish mowing. They don't handle rough cut as well, and are horrible in dry material. I'm fairly certain they don't offer a deck compatible with a ZTR either.

You could buy a Ferarri... but after spending $40k on a mower, I doubt you'll want to spend $12k for an attachment.

I guess you could modify an old Kubota FM deck to fit a ZD mower... but lack the benefit of a front mount chassis (it would be one compact unit, though)... all in, I'd say about $16k.

Is it more expensive than 3pt rough cut flail? Yes.... but a 3pt finish flail would cost you about the same (if not more), and you wouldn't have the maneuverability or compact package of the GH.

/ Grasshopper ZTR flail mower #44  
I am looking seriously about getting a Grasshopper and front mount flail.

I'd also like to modify a fence/post mower to do the fencing. I suspect this is more of a project for down the road.

Does anyone know the PTO HP on 930D? I have a lot of in and out of tree 'edge of field' mowing as well as long stretches where my tractor and boom flail 'could' do a 80% job but leave a lot of string trimming.

What I'd like to do is mow the big swaths with my tractor and 7' boom flail where appropriate and then use the GH to clean up the trees etc. And hopefully switch out the flail for a fence mower and do the fence. I know that I'll have some fab work to do, but I need either enough PTO power to run a hydraulic pump which would be optimal, or I would need to rig a direct PTO system which would NOT be so optimal.

I don't think the regular big 3 rotary GH deck would be optimal for my needs. It would do alot, but I think it would be cumbersome around roadside trees, etc. I don't know...

I've contacted GH for a demo. My local guys don't have one for rent and I don't know whether I can get a demo.

I do see a few smaller machines which are for sale on CL. They are definitely intriguing, even though they might not have as much power. The might be the best for my needs... when $$$ are added for the flail.

Does anyone know the PTO HP required for the Peruzzo flail?

/ Grasshopper ZTR flail mower
I am looking seriously about getting a Grasshopper and front mount flail.

I'd also like to modify a fence/post mower to do the fencing. I suspect this is more of a project for down the road.

Does anyone know the PTO HP on 930D? I have a lot of in and out of tree 'edge of field' mowing as well as long stretches where my tractor and boom flail 'could' do a 80% job but leave a lot of string trimming.

What I'd like to do is mow the big swaths with my tractor and 7' boom flail where appropriate and then use the GH to clean up the trees etc. And hopefully switch out the flail for a fence mower and do the fence. I know that I'll have some fab work to do, but I need either enough PTO power to run a hydraulic pump which would be optimal, or I would need to rig a direct PTO system which would NOT be so optimal.

I don't think the regular big 3 rotary GH deck would be optimal for my needs. It would do alot, but I think it would be cumbersome around roadside trees, etc. I don't know...

I've contacted GH for a demo. My local guys don't have one for rent and I don't know whether I can get a demo.

I do see a few smaller machines which are for sale on CL. They are definitely intriguing, even though they might not have as much power. The might be the best for my needs... when $$$ are added for the flail.

Does anyone know the PTO HP required for the Peruzzo flail?
Iowa Farm Equipment, the company that retails the flail deck, recommends AT LEAST 25hp diesel, or 30hp gas. I wouldn't run it with less than 28hp. I run a 60" flail on my 25hp Toro Groundsmaster, and it could really use the extra ponies. It gets the job done, but not as fast as I'd like. The new tier 4 emissions has cut Grasshopper diesels back to 24hp... so I'd either find an older 928 or 930-D... or a gas model with over 30hp. I think they're releasing the 38hp gas model later this year.

/ Grasshopper ZTR flail mower #46  
Well, I did it. Bought the Peruzzo 1600 (63 inch) flail deck with y blades. Been to wet to do much with it but so far I'm happy. I do commercial mowing and have about 2600 hours on 2 grasshoppers I bought new. 721dt6 and 725dt6. Mounted on 725 it seems to need less power than cutting with 5 ft brush hog on my Kubota B2910. Only negative so far is dead grass on radiator screen and around pto shaft(in fairness I always carried a blower to clear screen on Kubota). They fill up fast. It looks like I'm going to cut about 25% off my time on the job I'm on. If it will dry up enough to let me finish. I have several properties I do 2 to 3 times a year that this should be perfect. This year I got behind a few times on regular properties because of rain and hope this will make it easier to catch up.

/ Grasshopper ZTR flail mower #47  
I am thinking of getting one. I look forward to hearing how it works next season. Also, I would love to see some before and after pictures once spring arrives. Do you have any idea how easy the blades are to change? I am curious as to whether the vertical blades could be used to score bare ground for seeding.

/ Grasshopper ZTR flail mower #48  
Iowa Farm Equipment, the company that retails the flail deck, recommends AT LEAST 25hp diesel, or 30hp gas. I wouldn't run it with less than 28hp. I run a 60" flail on my 25hp Toro Groundsmaster, and it could really use the extra ponies. It gets the job done, but not as fast as I'd like. The new tier 4 emissions has cut Grasshopper diesels back to 24hp... so I'd either find an older 928 or 930-D... or a gas model with over 30hp. I think they're releasing the 38hp gas model later this year.

We recommend a minimum 25 HP Gas or 20 HP Diesel for running the 1600 Flail Mower. Undoubtedly the additional Power & Torque of Diesel in taller and thicker vegetation allows you to maintain a faster ground speed. That being said we do have many customers using this 63" Flail Mower on the 725K & 727 Gas Models and they are quite pleased with the performance.

/ Grasshopper ZTR flail mower #49  
Well, I did it. Bought the Peruzzo 1600 (63 inch) flail deck with y blades. Been to wet to do much with it but so far I'm happy. I do commercial mowing and have about 2600 hours on 2 grasshoppers I bought new. 721dt6 and 725dt6. Mounted on 725 it seems to need less power than cutting with 5 ft brush hog on my Kubota B2910. Only negative so far is dead grass on radiator screen and around pto shaft(in fairness I always carried a blower to clear screen on Kubota). They fill up fast. It looks like I'm going to cut about 25% off my time on the job I'm on. If it will dry up enough to let me finish. I have several properties I do 2 to 3 times a year that this should be perfect. This year I got behind a few times on regular properties because of rain and hope this will make it easier to catch up.

tractorworks, if you don't have this on your 725DT6 I recommend you order one from your Grasshopper Dealer (have them verify this is the correct one). This will help keep debris from making its way to to the radiator screen!

Defelctor.jpg

/ Grasshopper ZTR flail mower #50  
tractorworks, if you don't have this on your 725DT6 I recommend you order one from your Grasshopper Dealer (have them verify this is the correct one). This will help keep debris from making its way to to the radiator screen!

View attachment 580783
This is interesting. I can't find part number 504643 listed in GH parts diagrams. Is it a new accessory? I mow mostly lawn with my 700's, but also some rougher trails etc. I don't have a flail for them but still get a lot of trash on the radiator screens.