Gravel Drive way Issues

/ Gravel Drive way Issues #1  

summit151

Bronze Member
Tractor
Massey 1135
Hello. I was wondering what everyone does to reclaim the gravel that goes into the grass ditches after a winter of snow plowing? I was thinking of building a gravel drag bar at a angle so it would push the rock up and onto the road. Looking for a idea that could be used behind a atv or a skid steer

/ Gravel Drive way Issues #3  
Everyone has this problem to different degrees.

Not sure how you would control side drift of a bar dragging at an angle? Especially if using the ATV.

To use the skidsteer would involve an elaborate setup that fastens to the bucket? Or replaces the bucket?

Hopefully someone will chime in with a homemade solution!!!!

Best time to do this is before the ground thaws. Greatly reduces bringing foreign material up onto the roadbed.

/ Gravel Drive way Issues #4  
I have way too much of this now. We never had frost in the ground and at times the blower took a good scoop of my limestone screenings. In one place, I used the light weight Steiner and bucket doing the hard work with a leaf rake. Not much fun.

I just discarded the material. Too much soil in it for my liking to put back on the driveway.

The rest of it will go on HER Saturday morning honey do list.

EDIT: I have a tow behind self powered sweeper (Smyth Welding) for the Steiner, but I don't won't to wear out the broom on aggregate and sandblast the hopper, so I don't use it for this. Plus it would gather up a lot of dead grass and soil, which I would simply discard..

Last edited:
   / Gravel Drive way Issues #5  
Hello. I was wondering what everyone does to reclaim the gravel that goes into the grass ditches after a winter of snow plowing? I was thinking of building a gravel drag bar at a angle so it would push the rock up and onto the road. Looking for a idea that could be used behind a atv or a skid steer

I use a front blade to reclaim the bulk gravel from 900' driveway. What's left I use a hand rack and/or hoe...it's an annual PITA. For you perhaps an offset back blade that will tilt horizontally might work?

6 Way Deluxe Scrape Blade for Compact Tractors

/ Gravel Drive way Issues #6  
Could you hire someone with a rotary sweeper on the front of their garden tractor?

/ Gravel Drive way Issues #7  
I set my landscape rake at an angle and drag it along the side of the driveway. This will recover most of the rocks and kick them back into the driveway. It usually takes a couple of passes. Unfortunately my driveway is in bad shape right now, I think I need to get a land plane.

/ Gravel Drive way Issues
Ok thanks for the ideas guys. I wonder if a rotary sweeper on my skidsteer would work? But I wouldn't be able to drive along the drive way and sweep it would rut the side of my drive way bad. I would have to sweep from the centre then sweep and drive backwards and make passes

/ Gravel Drive way Issues #9  
A skid steer would do way more damage than what it fixes. Best to leave it parked.

/ Gravel Drive way Issues #10  
PS344.png PS344 | PowerBroom™ | Shindaiwa-USA.com
bought the above awhile ago, not cheap, heavy but it beats racking! fling it into the bucket then dump it.