Gravel for Driveway...

/ Gravel for Driveway... #31  
I can see why gravel buying for the consumer is confusing; everyone seems to have different terminology.

/ Gravel for Driveway... #32  
Planning to recover my yard and driveway this summer. Around here they mostly sell gravel by the yard, will probably buy crushed 1/2 or 5/8 plus gravel this year then maybe recover it again next year with red granite . Where I live frost is a major problem and using 1 inch or larger always gets worked to the top by frost so I won’t use it.

Last edited:
   / Gravel for Driveway... #33  
I get gravel road base here for $9 a ton, or I can get steel slag road base from the Nucor steel plant for $3.50 a ton. The slag packs nicely for parking areas and weeds don’t like to grow in it. It’s kind of unique how they sell it. It’s basically on the honor system. I get as many loads as I want, and a few days later a lady calls and I make a payment over the phone.

/ Gravel for Driveway... #34  
Charles has good advice. (Most notably: expect maintenance and plan for it. A box blade and/or land plane are a must.)

I don't know if it's available to you, but recycled crushed concrete is amazing stuff. It is very "jagged" and locks together extremely well, with 20-30% fines -- the dust creating during the crushing process. The problem is that it'll almost always have some leftover metal in it that the crusher's magnet didn't remove, so you have to deal with that the first year. My current driveway is 5 years old and has needed very little maintenance; something to consider maybe.
The leftover metal issue is why my gravel hauler won't deliver crushed concrete any more. He delivered a load somewhere, then got complaint after complaint about busted tires. I don't know if he ended up paying for it or not.

#4 or #67 tandem truck load is around $375 around here.

/ Gravel for Driveway... #35  
I just shelled out $480 for 12 yds of 1-1/2" pan base. The amount looks a lot more in the truck than on the ground. :)

/ Gravel for Driveway... #36  
Old post but looking to repair a 850 ft driveway and all these terms seem confusing.
I guess gravel (using this as a loose term) has more than doubled since 2009.
I am being quoted $38/ton plus delivery fee.

Wow, here (eastern Pa) direct from the quarry is about $11 a ton, delivered is about $20 a ton, retail is about $30 a ton.

That’s for what we call modified, 3/4 down to dust.