grease in a rotary cutter gear box?

/ grease in a rotary cutter gear box? #51  
i've seen people put candle wax in with oil or grease in a gearbox to tighten it up too..

/ grease in a rotary cutter gear box? #52  
What is this statement based on? Have you used thixotropic grease? Have you seen any videos of it when it is flowing in a gear box, just like oil?

Here is a video: JESCO/John Deere Corn Head Grease - YouTube
Note the I expect at the end of my statement... I've also stated previously I dumped pourable grease in my flail gearbox rather than replace the recently leaking seals. I expect the decrease in lubrication & HP won't any significant longterm difference to a flail I paid $100 (+ $300 in parts & a weekend of work) for.

Car companies long ago shifted to lighter weight oils for minor mileage increases. I'm sure it makes a difference, but not a lot.

/ grease in a rotary cutter gear box? #53  
i think you are compairing apples to squash when looking at pump and distrobution system, vs a splash lube ring and pinion gear setup...

/ grease in a rotary cutter gear box? #55  
Good info. I'm going to look for some Single O grade gear box lube this morning. Lost the slave gear box on our twin spindle semi finish Bush Hog. We replaced that gearbox off of our parts bush hog and went ahead and put a new seal in the main gearbox and now it will not hold oil so instead of tearing it all apart again I'm going to see what different lube will do and if that works out I'm going to transition everything before loosing another gear box hopefully.

/ grease in a rotary cutter gear box? #56  
The only way to use grease in a gearbox, and I upkeep several gearboxes.

You have to mix the oil and grease together in a bowl or separate container. It makes a thick sludge. Then pour it in the gearbox. I use a suction gun for some applications. If you don't pre mix the two together, it will never mix. If you pre mix, it will never separate. It will stay in a bad seal mixed that way. Case in point. My dad was using a hydra push manure spreader for clean out. Probably 800 seven cu yard loads. We put it in a shed. We don't spread with it. We keep a 4x4 tractor by the shed to pile the manure high and make more room for tractor and spreader. Piece of string got on shaft and got the seal. Adding gear oil every other trip. I put mix in it, he checked a couple times, it was full, he kept cleaning out. We did fix it later.

/ grease in a rotary cutter gear box? #57  
I've always used cornhead grease myself, especially in gearboxes with weeping seals. My ancient Troybilt rototiller with shot tine shaft seals is no exception. Loaded with cornhead grease and has been for years.

/ grease in a rotary cutter gear box? #58  
The only way to use grease in a gearbox, and I upkeep several gearboxes.

You have to mix the oil and grease together in a bowl or separate container.
True for NLGI grade 1 or higher.
Not true for NLGI grades 0, 00, and 000.

/ grease in a rotary cutter gear box? #59  
Found some 00 today and 1 quart got it up to full and mixed well in the 93F temps after lunch. Lady coming to trim some hoofs now do will field test this weekend

/ grease in a rotary cutter gear box? #60  
I've always used cornhead grease myself, especially in gearboxes with weeping seals. My ancient Troybilt rototiller with shot tine shaft seals is no exception. Loaded with cornhead grease and has been for years.
I have hundreds of hours on cutters with cornhead grease in them. It works great and does not leak through the seal. I have had to replace gearboxes with gearbox grease, but not with cornhead grease.