Greased all zerks

/ Greased all zerks #1  

ecoslik

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L5740 HST with LA854 loader and QA, top and tilt, 1 front and 3 rear remotes, foamed rear tires
Well, this weekend, I ran through the maintenance list for the first time: frint tire pressure (rears are foamed), greased all fittings, and checked hydro, oil, and breather box cartridge. I've been blowing off the pre-screen for the radiator routinely. While i was greasing, I took some time to clean off the old overfill grease that oozes from joints with paper towels and a dab of Simple Green.

My wife had friends over to ride horses, I pulled the tractor into the shop and got to it.

The only problem I had was removing the grease gun fitting from a few of the zerks. Ultimately, I used pair of pliers to give it a little more force. Since it had been 20 years since I had equipment with zerks to grease, when I couldn't remove the grease gun from the very first zerk, I had flashes of having the grease gun dangling from the FEL permantly. :ashamed:

Does anyone have anything to add to the list or advice for a beginner?

/ Greased all zerks #2  
It looks like you pretty well have it covered.

I am in the process of buying another grease gun, one with a solid hose/tube as I find them a little easier to use on some fittings.

Sometimes it helps to tilt the nozzle to the side to get it off. In 50+ years of greasing zerks, never had to leave a grease gun hanging, but wondered a couple of times.:laughing:

I routinely blow off the pre screen for the radiator and condenser when bush hogging as well as use a leaf blower on everything else.

Good luck, that is a really nice tractor.

/ Greased all zerks #3  
On many grease guns turning the knurled outside can lessen, or increase the tension it has on the fitting. Give that a try, but I can't guarantee yours is made like that.

/ Greased all zerks #4  
A little off topic, but I did the same thing this weekend. I have Walmart's brand Supertech grease (red) in my gun and for some reason, it leaks like liquid out of the plunger end if I tilt it so the plunger faces down. Does anyone else have this problem with their grease? It's driving me crazy leaking everywhere. When pumped, the nozzle end comes out thick.

/ Greased all zerks #5  
LOL...had the same problem until I figured out the way mine is made requires you to pull the hose in a circle (counter-clockwise works the best) and that motion causes the connection to pop free easily.

I had the same vision of driving around with a grease gun dangling from the tractor...:laughing:

/ Greased all zerks #6  
A little off topic, but I did the same thing this weekend. I have Walmart's brand Supertech grease (red) in my gun and for some reason, it leaks like liquid out of the plunger end if I tilt it so the plunger faces down. Does anyone else have this problem with their grease? It's driving me crazy leaking everywhere. When pumped, the nozzle end comes out thick.

oil is being seperated from grease from hot temps like left in sun or simalar. regular use of grease gun will not eliminate it but will lessen the issue, but most of us don't use grease gun often like farmers and construction guys do.

/ Greased all zerks #7  
Grit at time can hamper removal if zerk not clean well.
Visit your dealer see if you can purchase used grease tip..little worn but works great. ;)

/ Greased all zerks #8  

A reason I don't buy the cheap. That is a sign the grease will likely break down in the joint too, and not do the job. But that may just be me.

/ Greased all zerks
Glad to know that I'm not the only person who has imagined a grease gun dangling from the zerk. Would that be tractor "bling" or "blah"? :laughing:

/ Greased all zerks #10  
A reason I don't buy the cheap. That is a sign the grease will likely break down in the joint too, and not do the job. But that may just be me.

Believe me, either do I, it wasn't cheap grease. It's a multi duty complex, high temp, extreme pressure grease. It hasn't been that hot lately, but maybe I need to purge out all the sperated liquid oil. But, I might change to a different brand next time anyhow to see if I get the same results. It makes a mess dripping on everything :mad: