Great lake boats, a good video

/ Great lake boats, a good video #992  
Kind of stubby compared to the 1000 footers.
The Mark Barker (a river-class vessel) was specifically designed and equipped to navigate the tight bends of the Cuyahoga River in Cleveland, Ohio.

/ Great lake boats, a good video #993  
Many of the boats have exhaust scrubbers that use water, but others don't or used another system that's not water based. Someone with more knowledge than me will hopefully chime in.
All of the Interlake boats have exhaust scrubbers.

"Here’s how the systems work: Exhaust gas from the engine is sent through a series of absorption sprays that “wash” and remove impurities, specifically sulfur and particulate matter. That washed exhaust gas then travels through a droplet separator before a signature clean plume of white steam is discharged into the atmosphere."

It is amazing how efficient, profitable, and environmentally friendly a company can be when they remain a private company.

/ Great lake boats, a good video #994  
So, what becomes of the water that is used to strip the exhaust gases? Dumped overboard perhaps?

/ Great lake boats, a good video #995  
Far as negotiating the Cuyahoga, all the boats can, they just need assistance from a tug or 2. I grew up in physical sight of the Cuyahoga in Cleveland and to this day I still watch the boats go up the river when I'm in the flats. The shorter boat eliminates the added expense of an assist tug or 2. All economics and nothing more.

I worked for many years at GW industries (now defunct) on Carter road as a fitter and all I did was work on lakes boats. Worked on the Fitz too. She was an inherent leaker.

/ Great lake boats, a good video #996  
So, what becomes of the water that is used to strip the exhaust gases? Dumped overboard perhaps?
C219F7D0-F119-4C0F-ADC3-015445FDF2BC.jpeg

/ Great lake boats, a good video
There is another boat designed to go up the Cuyahoga river and I can't recall which. Is it the Joseph Block? Here is a boat as he backs out that river. Who needs thrusters?? 😅 (the stern thurster engines exhast is seen in this vidoe on the right side)

/ Great lake boats, a good video
On the way to work this morning, caught this fellow in the canal and getting ready to tie up. Sorry I couldn't get up the bluff for better pic. What boat might this be? :p He's 600 some feet long.
P1120787.jpg

/ Great lake boats, a good video #1,000  
On the way to work this morning, caught this fellow in the canal and getting ready to tie up. Sorry I couldn't get up the bluff for better pic. What boat might this be? :p He's 600 some feet long.View attachment 761476
One of a few Great lakes cruise ships?.