Great lake boats, a good video

/ Great lake boats, a good video #981  
Interesting that the self unloader is at the bow end and not the stern end in front of the pilot house. Kind of looks to me like it blocks the view from the pilot house a bit.
Imo, it's easier to bow in to smaller inlets, especially if your dock or wharf section is limited also you can probably get the bow in shallower draft areas leaving the stern in deeper water and not worry about damaging the wheels. I've watched a few freighters up close in close quarters manuvering they always had crew with radios in the blind spots I assume to relay what they see to the bridge.

/ Great lake boats, a good video #983  
Actually depends who you talk to/ know if you were on a workboat some still call the propellers wheels.

/ Great lake boats, a good video #984  
Same with a part of cabin on boats some call it a salon others call it a saloon which is the traditional name.

/ Great lake boats, a good video
One thing that I've always been curious about and that is, under power some emit diesel smoke, some emit what appears to be heated water vapor and some emit nothing. Always wondered about that. I presume that some of them are running diesel oxidation catalysts which explains the visible (steam / water vapor) but what about the rest?
Many of the boats have exhaust scrubbers that use water, but others don't or used another system that's not water based. Someone with more knowledge than me will hopefully chime in.

/ Great lake boats, a good video #986  
Many of the boats have exhaust scrubbers that use water, but others don't or used another system that's not water based. Someone with more knowledge than me will hopefully chime in.
Very curious about that. Some smoke, some don't and some make what looks like water vapor.

Nice news clip about the new 600+ Mark Barker boat which just went to work. 1st boat built here in 40 years and sports a flat cargo hold and carries skid steer and payloads to move the remaining commodity out of its hold.

The Mark Barker pulling into Duluth today loaded with road salt. Got to hear the horn!

/ Great lake boats, a good video #990  
She is powered by twin EMD main engines generating 8,000 total horsepower that turn a single four-blade, controllable-pitch propeller through a Lufkin twin-input, single-output gearbox. She has 1,000-hp Kongsberg bow and stern thrusters.