Great lake boats, a good video

/ Great lake boats, a good video
Here is a 1920's or 30's film shot in the Duluth MN harbor. Gee whiz for the smoke...

/ Great lake boats, a good video #583  
Here is a 1920's or 30's film shot in the Duluth MN harbor. Gee whiz for the smoke...
Talk about "burning coal" lol

/ Great lake boats, a good video #584  
At 55 seconds into that video, they show Hulett ore unloaders. There were only two Huletts on Lake Superior (built to unload coal at Fort William, Ontario) and that clip shows 4 of them. Therefore, I don't think that part of the clip was filmed in Duluth.

See page 14...

/ Great lake boats, a good video #586  
Makes you wonder why they're going to tow it across the lake VS it going on it's own power? Maybe to give it a chance for the boilers and fire to cool down? Interesting. I'd like to know VS my speculation. :unsure:

/ Great lake boats, a good video #588  
Makes you wonder why they're going to tow it across the lake VS it going on it's own power? Maybe to give it a chance for the boilers and fire to cool down? Interesting. I'd like to know VS my speculation. :unsure:
Article says an Extensive engine room inspection, it's a big job and I believe hard on boilers firing them up and shutting them down or maybe they had an issue with the boilers or turbines (I believe I heard early in the season they did) seemed they quit sailing early this season also. but running a boiler and steam turbines isn't like hopping in your car and going to the grocery store, lol.

/ Great lake boats, a good video #589  
With that said, I wonder how long it takes to fire that sucker up from a dead cold system?

/ Great lake boats, a good video #590  
Unsure, but don't they have to cool the boiler slowly when they take it off line and slowly heat the boiler to put back online?